House Bill Would Halt US Army, Marine Drawdowns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Feb 11, 2016.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...ll-would-halt-army-marine-drawdowns/80206898/

I'm not exactly sure how if it's supported by two republicans it's bipartisan unless I missed something. Military and guns is generally where I depart from my fellow lefties as such I think this is a good idea. It's generally bad for moral and standards when you need to recruit quick, fast and in a hurry to rebuild the force I'd prefer attrition, cutting some flag and CSM positions, and keeping the force generally intact.

2. LizKat, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Gibson is my Congressman. In his most recent newsletter he mentioned that bill, HR 4534, also known as the POSTURE bill --for Protecting Our Security Through Utilizing Right-Sized End-Strength-- and its sponsorship in general, but he didn't break out all the sponsors.

At the time of this writing, Chairman Turner and I have 18 co-sponsors for the POSTURE Act, including my colleagues from New York Representatives Elise Stefanik (NY-21) and Lee Zeldin (NY-1). We will work aggressively to see that this legislation is acted on in the House Armed Services Committee and brought before the whole House for consideration, either on its own or as part of the annual Defense Policy Bill.
    The NYC reps are both Republicans (yes there are some in the city) so I'm not sure which of the rest of the co-sponsors are Democrats. If I find out I will update this post.

OK here's the link https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4534/cosponsors

Here are the Dems from that list as of today

Seth Moulton D-MA-6
    Tulsi Gabbard D-HI-2(she’s a veteran)
    Brad Ashford D-NE-2
    Beto O’Rourke D-TX-16
    Timothy J. Walz D-MN-1​

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The U.S. defense budge could be cut by 40% with no adverse affect on national security. Furthermore, there are more general officer slots now then there was at the height of WWII when the force was 16x larger. What in God's name are all these GOs doing?

I hope this bill fails.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Don't tell us, tell your rep... :)

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You mean get off the couch and actually do something? That's crazy talk!

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

yeah man and it's friday night, my night to listen to jazz. i can't believe i bothered to look that thing up. but I was curious after I realized the NYC reps didn't make it bipartisan. I like Tulsi Gabbard, she works hard for veterans, not sure that turns my mind around on this bill though. Ciao...

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I like Tulsi Gabbard, too. I'd wrap myself in concertina wire and tap-dance over a mine field just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.