House Democrats' 1st bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 30, 2018.

1. jkcerda, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...se-democrats-anti-corruption-bill-hr-1-pelosi
    damn, I agree with almost all of it, disagree on the automatic national voter registration.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of course you agree with it. The people want pretty much the same stuff :)

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I kind of sort of agree with it.
    Too much in here is reactive to items rather than taking a hard look at preventing items that have occurred.
    This plays more like the next salvo in the current DEM vs GOP vs PDT war instead of a real fix.
    In its current state, I don't see the Senate and the President saying "Yes".

Automatic voter registration... ugh. Look at the current mess we have here in Cali. Ballot Harvesting and Auto / Same day+Vote registering. What a mess.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

You really need to find a job that affords you the ability to move out of a state you constantly condemn ;)

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

IT'S NOT just the job, love the weather here , I can split lanes on my motorcycle, family is all here, things COULD be a ton better that is for sure.

6. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Whatcha riding and what state you in? I am currently on the bike in my avatar...

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Split lanes where I live and you will end up with someone opening the door on purpose. That is if the cops haven't already taken care of it. I know California is different on this, and was shocked (and concerned for the rider) the first time I saw that.

8. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Which is a shame, because lane splitting is legal and accepted in most of the world...

But Americans have the attitude of, "If I have to be stuck in traffic, then everyone has to be stuck in traffic" and they will hurt a motorcyclist, intentionally, to enforce that selfish mindset...

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Let's see....
    I usually work from home (most bosses on the East Coast)
    The weather
    I live really close to the beach
    Small community (kind of)
    Quiet safe neighborhood
    Great neighbors
    The weather
    Great pay

Cons:
    Politics
    Government that constantly can't get it right
    Cost of Living

Lived in several States and they all issues of one kind or another.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    Nice!!

10. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

I love GA. I was able to build a brand new 5br home, 3 sides brick, 2 car garage, 3,500sq/feet, all granite and hardwood, fenced yard, etc... for under $275k, in 2014. Property taxes? $2500 a year. My lot backs up to a horse farm and we added a heated 25,000 gallon salt water pool and spa, outdoor home theater, the works...

in CA, this would be well over a million dollar home and probably 2 grand a month in property taxes... I could never afford it...

Atlanta has a great job market, nice high tech town... I have the Atlanta 4 hours in one direction, the gulf of mexico is 5 hours in the other, I am 2 miles from Lake Lanier, 45 minutes from the North GA mountains and fantastic riding roads... Deal's Gap is a 3 hour ride north, do it all the time, and Road Atlanta is 20 minutes from my house, for easy track days...

It really has everything I could ever want, and it rarely snows, I can ride year round... And the gun laws are great. Everyone carries...

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I don't think that is it at all. I think it is people get tired of others being selfish and break the laws to get what they want, and every else be Da*ned. In the US it is legal in 8 states, and in those cases...more power to them if it is the law. As a person who use to ride at one time, I can't fathom this being safe. Only into ATVs these days. Too many crazies in cars on the road for those who ride.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/where-else-is-lane-splitting-legal

12. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

ATV's here as well. I am on a new Sportsman 850 SP, and I just got the wife a Can Am Renegade 570 for Xmas... Lots of great places to ride here...

As for the lane splitting... opening your car door into a biker, or swerving to hit them, is breaking the law too...

13. tshrimp, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have a Sportsman 570, and an Arctic Cat 300 (made by Kemco). I didn't expect much from the Arctic Cat, but is has been bullet proof. Doesn't have much power, but fun to ride. It is more of a sport style. On the Sportsman 570 The power Polaris gets out of the engine amazes me. So jealous on the Can-Am.

Also, don't think I condone the action of doing that. My point was more to say it would piss people off, and no telling what could happen. Yes, there have been instances of doors being opened, others hugging the line, etc. Doesn't happen much here since it is not legal, and they know it upsets those who are doing it.

14. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Yeah, I ran the Sportsman 570 for a few years before trading up to the 850. The 570 is strong, and very capable. Took it up to the Hatfield McCoy trails several times and it took everything I threw at it...

The 850 is a different beast altogether. Makes almost double the HP of the 570, better suspension, power steering, hill decent control, etc... I love the thing, it's a beast on the trails and goes over 70mph...

The Renegade is cool tool. Halfway between my 850 and a sport quad...

15. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

It’s safer than being sandwiched between two cars. Nobody pays attention and there are tons of rear end collisions where I live.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Didn't see a link to the story jkcerda quoted in the OP, but I found one. Looks pretty good to me, though I want to hear more.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Not sure how "national" voter registration would work, or even if it's a good idea.

The rest sounds ok.

Political groups should have to disclose.

Not sure what they mean by barring Congress from serving on corporate boards.

While they are in Congress, seem to me that's a good idea, but if they mean after you've been in Congress, not only is that bad, it's likely unconstitutional.

I mean, if you serve one term in the House, you still have to make a living.

I don't agree with either of these, the IRS has already seen someone's tax returns, if they had no problem with them, neither do I.

The code of ethics of the Supreme Court is the same as it is for anyone that can be impeached, high crimes and misdemeanors. There is no need for anything else, and it would only serve to make the Court political.

This bill has not a chance of hell of becoming law, it's a waste of time and paper.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's no way that bill means for life. I'm skeptical as to whether any bill that would actually pass would be particularly effective at lessening corporate graft though. It's kind of a minor nitpick, but the only people who make their primary income by sitting on boards are C - suite executives. Unless they're leaving Congress for a CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO position, that isn't a primary occupation.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Got a link for that ?

Silly rules and all.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Congress is at the C suite level though.

21. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Wouldn't automatic voter registration cut way down on voter registration fraud?

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Nope.
    Take at look at the screw-up Cali did by auto registering 23,000 illegals.

Still, maybe they can come up with a process that allows any citizen to vote without registering.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

25. Rhonindk, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Chuckle ;)
    It really did happen. Wasn't all illegals. Since then Cali has played to spin/change words game to minimize the issue. https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article217891745.html
    Cali is trying to force 100% voter participation.

This was a fun one ...
    My roomie found out she was registered (came from out of state) when she got her new DL. Never signed up for it. Was a bit annoyed. Never voted in her life and they registered her as a Dem.