House Democrats promise no COLA raises until minimum wage is increased

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jun 28, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Remember that?

Well, both sides of the house voted to give themselves their pay raise.

I was going to write more, but I'm just disgusted with the whole lot of them. Well, 244 of them.

2. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm still pissed off. They don't deserve it. This would have been a good time for the Dems to make a point about how they care more about balancing the budget and providing for the rest of us first. I don't care how much DC costs now, this would have been a good talking point for them.

But they blew it. Again. I'll just say it, both sides deserve their low approval ratings.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that these guys should be making whatever the prevailing minimum wage is if the budget isn't balanced. Not like these are full time jobs anyway. I'd love to have their work schedule and benefits.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Since when is an increase not an increase?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of Congress giving themselves pay raises, particularly until they stop this war and return to some form of fiscal sanity. But your complaint was that Democrats broke a promise not to vote on their own raise until the federal minimum wage was raised. Only the lowest of partisans would claim that they broke their promise. You want to argue that the raise isn't justified? I'm open to that. Of course when it comes to a vote you can be sure the roll call will be bipartisan.

Some people just seem to have a blind hatred of Democrats...

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

True, but some of us are just disappointed.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh believe me, I am too. But this kind of thing is a perfect example of a right-wing hit piece, being bought into by someone who should know better.