House Democrats promised open government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

In response to their allegations of wasteful spending by the recently Republican held Congress, House Democrats vowed to engage in more open budgetary planning and decision making. Key to this was their plan to clearly identify earmarks that accompany spending bills.

Republicans had been accused of attempting to ram through spending provisions by tying them to more essential legislation, attracting complaints from both Democrats and external watchdogs.

Many of those external watchdogs were divided as some expected more of the same as the Democrats wield power, while others believed that Democrats will keep their promises.

So much for keeping your promises and open government.

Link

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"My side is pure. Your side is evil!" That's been the view here, ever since I first logged on.

Unfortunately, there ain't a nickel's worth of difference between Republicrats and Demopubes in the Congress. Feinstein takes care of the family interests in Samoa, Pelosi helps her hubbie's real estate doings, and Sen. Byrd's not known as "Senator Pork" for no reason. The other side of the aisle is just as bad.

I will say that after reading some 40+ years of self-serving yak and natter from Congressfolks, there is more of hypocrisy from the Democrats than from the Republicans about "openness" and "honesty". It's not that the Republicans are more open and honest; it's just that they don't run their mouths about it as much.

"'Rat, are you trying to show Contempt for Congress?"

"No, sir, I'm trying very hard not to."

:D:D:D

'Rat

3. Queso macrumors G4

I always got the impression it was more "My side is the lesser of two evils." The Democrats are far from pure, but comparing them to the current bunch of Republicans is like comparing Snow White to a crack whore.

Seriously, I'd rather a bunch of self-serving professional hypocrite politicians to a bunch of arms-dealing scum who ignore the US constitution, run roughshod over both domestic and international law and profit from wars of their own making.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

dynamicv, looking at your last paragraph, it looks to me like both parties have plenty of each.

All those Democrats running and hiding from their "Nuke Saddam!" votes look to me like the guy who thinks he oughta be cut slack 'cause he only used a toy pistol when he robbed the bank.

I still wanna know when Pelosi/Feinstein, et al, are gonna do something about such abominations as the Patriot Act, the sons thereof, and try to bring some rationality to Homeland Insecurity. Little stuff, you know, like folks being able to learn why they're on a no-flly list.

Color me disgusted with the whole ratpack.

'Rat

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They don't even do that. They just complain about how evil the other side is. But yeah, I'd take do nothings over do everything wrong while calling you a terrorist any day. Bill Maher had a quote about never trusting people who hate the gov to run the gov. Seems fitting. I have no love for the Dems most of the time, but the neocons have done such a bad job of, well, everything that by default I can only hope the other guys aren't as bad.

But then they start doing the same things, or even just let the other side continue to screw up, that some times I wonder.

6. Queso macrumors G4

I'd lay different charges at their feet there. Complete dereliction of duty. They didn't go and read the reports, and despite them knowing Cheney's history towards Iraq they simply didn't question the Administration. This despite millions of people around the world rightly calling the whole public reasoning for the invasion a crock of ****. If we could see it, they must have done too. So why stay silent? Grow a backbone!!

But the Neo-Cons didn't just fail to do the jobs they're so handsomely paid to do. They came up with the plan in the first place and made sure it was their stock portfolios that benefited . Nobody comes out smelling of roses here, but currently the stench coming from the Republican side is far stronger.

Anyone got a hosepipe big enough to give Capitol Hill a colonic?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, me too. Disgustingly dissappointed in the Democratic leadership for this.

Of course, I have a "my side is pure, while your side is evil" outlook; per your previous comment.

While you of course are of the "pox on both houses" with no inclination towards a "Liberals are stupid people whom I work harder than any of" attitude.

Yeah yeah yeah. Color me unimpressed by your piety.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, you're really working hard to find some way for personal attacks, aren't you?

I've no objection whatsoever to anybody attacking my ideas, my views. I have an equal right to attack others' ideas. That's the usual purpose of a discussion forum. "Attack ideas, not members." I've stayed with that throughout my tenure here. (And if somebody feels I've ever insulted them personally, my apologies.)

'Rat

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How exactly is any of what I wrote a personal attack on you? I simply take issue with your assertion that I'm a partisan hack while you are an unbiased equal opportunity politician-hater. Particularly when your track record has shown otherwise.

I've stayed within the "attack ideas not members" my entire tenure here as well. It reflects poorly on you to insinuate otherwise without providing any proof whatsoever.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

"My side is pure. Your side is evil!" indeed.

Thats clearly an attack on 'Rat's character. But hey, Mac is a genius at the attack without attacking strategy. Rules are bent but not broken. This isn't to say I've done nothing like this. :) :D But it seems to be mactastic's M.O.

Oh, and shame on the dems for breaking promises. ;)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Am I suggesting in any way that either:
    A) The Democrats are "my side", or
    B) That Democrats are in any way pure?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Says they guy who has shamelessly used that M.O. himself since the day he arrived...

I made that very clear already. Of course you then went ahead to mock me with a comment about my side being pure. Which of course would be an attack on me, via the M.O. you wail and nash your teeth about seconds later. But hey, I'm sure you learn it from your elected leaders. Besides, I'm not going to whine about it. ;)