House Dems Back GOP On Bill To Pause Admittance Of Some Refugees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Nov 19, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Not sure I agree with this, but I can see both sides.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/house-syrian-refugees_564df0fae4b031745cf00f5c

2. aaronvan, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good. It's unfair to let 65,000 anonymous Syrians/Iraqis waltz right in while millions of Mexicans who have lived and worked in the U.S. for years live in constant fear of deportation.

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

While they may be anonymous, they're also human beings who have lost everything, in no small part due to the US involvement in everything over there. We're happy to involve ourselves in every aspect of these wars but when it comes to dealing with those most affected with any sort of compassion, we turn our backs.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

hence the reason we should NOT bring them in, we have made enemies of them and some may want U.S citizens to experience the same thing they went through.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

we make enemies of them by not helping them. that is how terrorists are made by us showing how much we hate them they hate back.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If unhappiness with U.S. immigration vetting policy is enough to send someone running to join ISIS, that individual is dangerous and unstable and it's good we didn't let them in our country.

7. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

We agree on this point.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Dance puppets, dance just the way ISIS wants you to dance. With your tails between your legs and **** dripping down your pants.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about our Vets? The VA is still a mess and plenty of our vets and many other people (americans) are homeless. How about we help our own first.

10. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I'm referring to the Syrian refugees but yes, our VA is horrible and our vets are treated like dirt. Would be nice to see the same people so happy to send them to war put just as much effort in their post-service care.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

After the 1991 Gulf War, millions of Kurds were displaced and needed humanitarian assistance. What did the United States do? We created a no-fly zone and helped the Kurds establish a independent Kurdistan no longer under Saddam’s boot; a thriving, self-sufficient nation which exists today. I doubt any Kurd would prefer to be a refugee in the United States, living on charity, and ten thousand miles from their homeland.

There are many ways we can help the Syrians and Iraqis, while preserving their sense of pride and ownership.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It would certainly help if we didn't keep creating more crippled and impoverished Vets with our endless wars.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. We should help create a place for them closer to their home.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sad there is no one willing to end the wars.

15. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Yes indeed, a tragic position to put American Men and Women in (to be treated like dirt). Americans that in most cases did not join the military to go to war, or to be treated as they are presently.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The number is 10,000, as announced by Obama. You don't get to use figures thrown around at a debate. They hardly waltz in as there is an 18-24 month process. I fail to see what a refugee crisis has to do with illegal immigrants that are here.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They wait 18-24 months to get to the front of the line, where some Obama flack asks them "Are you a terrorist" and stamps ENTRY on their forehead. And don't tell me the "our intelligence agencies are vetting them." Our intelligence agencies don't exactly have a good track record and in any case, they shouldn't be using scarce resources on vetting refugees when there's a war going on.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama will be a former President if and when any of them get in.

I think our intelligence agencies are awesome. Since 9/11, they've done an amazing job of protecting the homeland (note use of emotional term the right loves). More people have died in 2014 from accidental gun deaths than the number of Americans killed in any domestic terrorism incident since 9/11.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

awesome?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-terrorists-into-country-as-refugees.1938915/

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

But Hillary will be a current President. :confused:

Meh. A mixed bag. Our intelligence agencies failed to stop the underwear bomber--thankfully the passengers were alert--and the Boston bombers. They failed to predict the rapid rise of ISIS. They failed to predict that Putin would seize the Crimea and would go full-force into Syria. They failed to predict the massive refugee crisis. China building island bases in the Spratlys? Didn't expect that. We never did catch Mullah Omar and we can't seem to find al-Bahgdadi.

If I was President, I'd have a case of the ass over poor reporting provided by our multitude of intelligence agencies despite the billions they receive.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is nonsense.

The security process is a lengthy and continuous one. Applicants for refugee status are first screened by the UN High Commission for Refugees. They are then screened by a variety of US agencies, including the Department of State. The FBI. And the Dept. of Homeland Security. Screening includes in-person interviews with the applicant; with family members; and with sponsors and references - including business; academic; and family members. Refugees are photographed and fingerprinted. Identifying data is run against a wide variety of intelligence and law enforcement databases.

No process is perfect. But the chances of a committed terrorist getting through the US refugee screening process is so remote as to be non-existent.

22. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The mass immigration definitely needs to be slowed. Not simply due to enhanced "screening" but to actually consider what is best in the long run. These people are not leaving home because they love Europe or the U.S.. They are leaving because their homeland is unlivable. Totally understandable but still raises questions.

• Why not migrate over to Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait? They share a common language, culture, climate, and is much closer. Why are THOSE places not inviting them? Not enough money left after building artificial resort islands, towering skyscrapers, buying police Lamborghinis , etc.?
    • Why encourage people to run instead of fighting for their homeland? "Freedom isn't free" comes to mind. Imagine if the bulk of colonial americans ran to Mexico instead of fighting the British?
    • As we've seen already, displaced muslims appear to struggle to find a place in western society and become prone to radicalization. This is the problem already facing Europe. Maybe take some time to consider how to prevent this before taking tens of thousands of people and bringing them to a place they just might not like.
    I am not against migration. People should be able to live in a place they love. That is not the reason for the bulk migration of millions from the Middle East. Accepting them is a kind thing to do but also could be depriving them of a true homeland.

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

ISIS is 50K plus strong in Iraq and Syria. The police departments and government agencies are destroyed in pretty much any area where ISIS operates; there are pretty much zero local records of peoples daily, monthly or quarterly activities.

How can every "commited terrorist" be on any record? For every ISIS member we know of there are an indeterminate number we cannot identify. We can estimate their member numbers but not know most of their identities... simple answer is, we have no way to vet the good from the bad. If all you are relying on is interviews by individuals in government agencies, sponsors, and family members. Every single person involved would have to be 100 percent competent and 100 percent honest. I don't live in that world... if you do please get some medication.

24. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

If we don't have the money to take care of every homeless veteran, homeless substance abuse addict, and illegal alien moocher, how can we afford to cloth, feed, house, and take care of refugees? Will you let them live in your neighborhood?

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Will I "let them"?

I don't control who my neighbors are. Whoever buys or rents the house next door, buys or rents it without my consent.

So yes. I would let them live in my neighborhood. Though I'd love to hear what you'd do to prevent them from living in your's.