House in foreclosure? Republicans may say you can't vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ntombi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

http://www.michiganmessenger.com/4076/lose-your-house-lose-your-vote

Amazing. Every time I think they can't sink any lower, they prove me wrong.

A foreclosure notice doesn't mean that the person in question moved. People often stay in their homes for 6+ months after the first notice is filed. But that won't matter to them, and it won't matter on election day, especially if the line gets out of control and people have to get to work or pick up kids or whatever.

I hope this explodes in the news, so that people will know exactly what they're doing, and none of it works. :mad:

I don't even know what to say. The minds that think of these things are so Machiavellian, so devious, so evil, that I'm overwhelmed.

2. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

BTW, this was the response to that article, not that I believe the "recant."

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

wow
    In the US? The place where everyone is supposed to have a voice...

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That is total insanity,even to consider the idea shows how low politicians will stoop.Aside from the mentioned fact that people may well be residing in a foreclosed home how can the register be that up to date and not be wildly inaccurate. If anyone knows could they say what provisions are made for homeless people to vote in the US, in the UK there are problems but special provisions are provided. As for the racial angle you've only got to look at one of the myriad studies of poverty,education,incarceration etc to see there is no equality in the US (or the UK for that matter).

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

White property owners only, please.

I knew the Republican party was in love with out-dated political beliefs that fit in more with the 18 or 19th century than our own, but I didn't know they took it to such an extent.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That was the message that seemed to be coming from the article.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

so whats new? they did something similar in Florida in 2000...

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No kidding!

Well that's one way to keep themselves in office. Make it so difficult for the struggling people that as a result of their struggles they won't even have a say. :rolleyes: I don't think that will actually happen though, even though I am constantly surprised by the stupidity of US politics, this seems a bit too out there.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

To answer my own question about homelessness and voting, yes there are provisions for the homeless to vote in all fifty states, previous local laws about living in traditional residences having been struck down. So even though there are extra hurdles to overcome the homeless do have a vote,good thing.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

But these people aren't homeless, they live in a house, it's just been foreclosed on. Why should they have to jump through extra hurdles?

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Love the avatar.

The Republicans have done this election after election. They make it hard for poor minorities to vote, or when they do actually vote, make is not very likely their votes will count.

The UN needs to step in and monitor our elections. They are all ridiculously obvious shams.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Come on conservatives, get in here and defend this. I dare you. And anyone who tells me that voting Republican is a good idea, belongs in the loony bin. This coupled with Palin's insanity is just ridiculous. I'm actually surprised they trotted this out so early.

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

As requested Lee,

Its more of a proper district issue. If these people have been foreclosed on, they may be living in an apartment or family. If so their voter registration and other gov't registrations must be changed to their new address. If this isn't done their vote isn't legal. I am not saying that there aren't devious motives involved, I know there is. But, I think its genius.

I am a little guilty of this myself. I keep my old address on my voter registration, so I can vote in the city elections. But, I bought a house in the county, and should have changed my district.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes.

From the article:

15. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Let me first state I am for neither major party candidate. :p

But imo this is to curb the voter fraud that's been steadily rising over the years. They (the government) could institute a national ID card to help stop this but...

...thats another thread. ;)

16. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

So your position is that regardless of the fact that a forclosure notice isn't at all indicative of whether a person is still in their home, this is a "genius move?" Why, because it will probably stop more Obama supporters from voting than McCain supporters, and all's fair, as long as it gets your guy elected?

Wow.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So your position is that ineligible people should be allowed to vote, only to have the GOP call it out as voter fraud afterward if Obama does win?

BTW, I think the idea of making sure everyone's registration is current is good, but going down the foreclosure list ...

18. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

No, my position is that using foreclosure notices isn't an accurate way to "fight voter fraud," as if that's their real motivation.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ok. I know that isn't their real motivation, but it should be the motivation for both parties.

20. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Believe me, I don't disagree.

I run my precinct's election and have for several years. Because I live in CA, we have several elections a year (don't get me started on that!), and while I know that voter fraud exists, in my personal experience it's much less prevalent than people make it out to be. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do something about it, but it's ironic that these issues only are fought in battleground states in battleground counties during close elections. :rolleyes: And almost exclusively by Republicans*.

It's sickening.

* Remember that part of the US Attorney firing scandal was because some of the Republican-appointed US Attorneys weren't giving what national Republican figures deemed "proper time and effort" into investigating voter fraud in their regions.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Little guilty? You just admitted to vote fraud by voting in a district you no longer live in. If you are trying to support the GOP's actions here and their rhetoric about voter fraud then I expect you'll turn yourself in...;)
    As stated previously foreclosure notices are not any indication that the person/people have actually moved yet. The odds of someone who's home was foreclosed on showing up a the polls and not actually living in the district are slim. We have enough problems with voter turn out in this country, how many people are going to drive out of their way (especially given gas prices) to cast a ballot when changing their address would give them a place to vote closer to their residence? And what difference does that make on a presidential election anyway? Unless the person is crossing state lines to vote, the winner take all system could not care less about where the vote for a candidate was cast.

All of this talk over Voter ID cards and valid registration challenging at the polling place is combating the least productive, most risky, and extremely rare type of voter fraud. In-person voter fraud is almost completely non-existent since it relies on so many variables that make it easy to get caught, and only manages to net a few votes, but it uses the scare tactic of swinging elections to gain public support for voting scrutiny that tends to disenfranchise more people who tend to vote Democratic than Republican.

It's a scare tactic plain and simple, and how much do you want to bet that no matter what address is on your voter registration card, anyone who's name is on a foreclosure list will get challenged. If the addresses don't match they'll try to claim that the voter still lives at the residence, if it does match they'll try to claim that the voter was kicked out. It's almost fool proof for creating a complete cluster**** at the polls discouraging people from voting.

There is no defense for this if you claim to stand for the idea that our democracy is based on the will of all of the people.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I do see that it's just that the story made me wonder how the homeless get on in the US and with a bit of research I found that in theory at least they're fairly well catered for.

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think everyone who has a legal right to vote, should exercise that right without any obstacle in doing so.

Now, don't get me started when it comes to talking about the border, immigration, benefits for illegals, and the need for a national ID card.

24. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I know about the right to vote. I appreciate creativity.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see I have a problem with that. You do not live in that city so you should not have a right to vote on city issues. You do not pay taxes for the city there for you should not vote how the money is spent since you do not supply any of it.

I can see the GOP motives in it but like you said they are techically right. They no longer live at the address on their voter registration card.

While I do argree mailings should be done to test of the address is valid every now and then. Any returned or shown not to be at that address should be removed from the rolls. It should not be done this close to an election year. Best time to do it is Oh Dec January after everything with the election has settled.