House Intel votes to release Dem version of memo!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 5, 2018.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. zin macrumors 6502

Republicans voted to release both memos. Democrats voted to release only their own.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

In what bit of revisionist history did that occur?

Republicans voted to block the Democrats memo, and release only their own.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Republicans are likely hoping to take the heat off of them for releasing a half-assed memo that blew up in their faces.

5. zin macrumors 6502

That vote was to release the Democrats' memo directly, instead of through the same process as the Republican memo. That sleaze bag Adam Schiff wanted his memo released without having shared it with the rest of the House, as the Nunes memo was, at the time of the vote.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Amusing that you refer to Schiff as a sleeze bag, but Nunes gets no descriptor.

7. zin macrumors 6502

The House had access to his memo for about a week before the vote. Adam Schiff, who lied through his teeth about the memo's release being reckless with regard to national security, tried to get his out without its being available beforehand.

Where might one find your outrage for what Adam Schiff did?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's be very clear here, this misleading piece of **** is all on Nunes, Ryan and the TrumpGOP.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

No outrage. Because I never had faith in the Nunes memo - with or without Schiff's comments. You realize I am questioning you about your name calling Schiff but believing (seemingly) that Nunes is a good guy?

10. zin macrumors 6502

The memo was available to everybody in the House for about a week prior to the vote. It did not harm national security.

Adam Schiff was relentless in claiming it would be reckless to release it. Adam Schiff tried to get his memo released without its being available to the House beforehand. He wanted the Dem memo released differently to the Nunes memo.

I did not say that Devin Nunes is a 'good guy'. I said that Adam Schiff's handling of his memo and response to the Nunes memo makes him a sleaze, in my opinion.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Ooh, I'm sorry I missed that. Could you please post where that happened. I've goggled so far and haven't found that specifically. I did see they allowed it to be viewed like the Republican memo, but that wasn't their so called reason for blocking it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/30/politics/democrats-rebuttal-nunes-memo-criticism/index.html

--- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2018 ---
    You do realize it was Schiff & the FBI who made that claim. So you're calling the FBI names as well.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

It was reckless. But it all seems to have worked out in his favor since the memo didn't achieve its intent. It wasn't just Schiff who believed a 4 page memo that was selective in its findings based on a 50-60 document was as important as Nunes did. There were critics on all sides.

And no - you didn't say Nunes was a good guy. But when I have a conversation with someone and seemingly two people are of similar character but only one is called a name, it communicates something quite clearly.

But instead of having my own thoughts - why don't you share with me yours about Nunes? I would be curious to know what you think of him.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And there you have it. The Congressman who ran a rogue investigation and released a purposely misleading "memo" isn't the sleazebag. It's the Congressman who alerted the public to this farce is the sleazebag. Man, how low can the TrumpGOP go?

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well he sure god had that right, even Nunes would have to cop to that at this point.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Well that is the company line...

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 9.25.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 9.25.52 AM.png

16. zin macrumors 6502

Your link says the reason they voted to allow House release instead of public release is because they wanted the Dem memo to go through the same process as the GOP memo. Adam Schiff tried to get them both released at the same time, despite the fact that his memo was not even available to the House prior to the vote. That is the same thing as what my post says.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Couldn't the Nunes memo have waiting until Schiff's memo went through the process and both released together. Or was it mandatory that the Nunes memo was released first?

18. zin macrumors 6502

There's a shift in the goalpost there.

I'm sure it could, but that is not what Adam Schiff proposed.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

No shift in goalposts. What goalpost is shifting?

Schiff wanted them both released at the same time. So - Republicans COULD have waited until Schiff's document went through the right channels, right?

ETA: Also - just curious if you were going to answer my question about Nunes.

20. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Please try to take off the partisan blinders if only for a moment. You almost sound partisan and vindictive at the same time. The memo should not have been released in the first place, and the Democrats voted for it to be kept secret. It was partisan, reckless, and was really pointless. I read trump approved it's release without even reading it. The only option now is for the Democrats to release their version to tell their side of the story. Really not that hard to understand.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Good chance Trump doesn't release it.

22. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

People are making this far too complicated. The Democrats voted against the release of the Nunes memo by itself and voted for the release of the Democrats' memo because, as we've clearly seen, the Nunes memo is deliberately misleading and omits key information. Having both released together would have been the ideal way to provide the necessary context. Even if the Democrats' memo gets released now, it will still fail to generate the same type of attention as the Nunes memo and there will be a big chunk of people who get their information only from right-wing sources (Fox, etc.) who will never get adequate information to put the Nunes memo in context.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

24. samcraig macrumors P6

yes.. plus there's the fact trump has already cast his vote - making a martyr out of Nunes and condemning Schiff... so for Trump's base and those that follow state run media, it doesn't matter.

25. zin macrumors 6502

They voted to keep the GOP memo secret but voted to release their own memo.

I am not against their memo being released. I think it should be released. I just hope the resident (fake) liberals will approach the Democratic memo with the same attitude as the GOP memo. Namely, that their claims should be taken with a grain of salt and will probably be misleading. Right?