House leadership claims enough votes for ACA repeal 5/4

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, May 3, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The House leadership is planning to push this to a vote tomorrow since they're off for another recess tomorrow night (having already taken time off to be back home in April).

Nothing like dedication to their mission, which is apparently to get back home and campaign some more for re-election in 2018.

This despite the fact they only seem to have 20 votes hardwired so far, can only lose 22, have 36 GOP members who are on the fence.. and despite warnings from Mitch McConnell that repeal of the ACA will be a much steeper climb over in the Senate... and despite objections from providers, budget estimators, assorted governors, and last but not least, from ordinary Americans whose health insurance seems to remain pretty optional to Republicans hell bent on dispatching even the very idea of universal health care coverage to the trash bin.

To the GOP House leadership it's evidently very simple: if you want health care coverage, just buy it. The same way you'd just buy a Lexus, a house in the South of France or a condo overlooking the water in Hong Kong. No one makes you buy those things so... no one should make you buy health care coverage either?!?! The replacement bill does away with mandates, which were what made for a reasonable pool, and substitutes the idea of a higher premium if you drop coverage for more than, say, two months. Like someone who drops coverage because he can't afford it is going to worry about paying a higher premium to get coverage again. What a mess. It deserves to die in the Senate if the House GOP members are collectively stupid enough to pass it. The ACA needs to be repaired, not gutted. I guess it will take a midterm election to wake up the House.

2. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

GOP needs some kinds of victory, But they can't celebrate for too long. The Bill will die in the Senate.

They need 60 votes.
    Unless they do the Nuclear Option Which the GOP Will never ever Do, Because they know if they do, When the Democrats get back into power, Look out for single payer healthcare.

And finally we can join the rest of the world, We Spend 3 Trillion in the middle east. But we don't have any money for single payer healthcare. The world must be laughing hard.

3. Zenithal, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

Of course you don't have to buy insurance, Liz. It's nothing but luxury for these so-called freeloaders. These leeches of society! Why they could afford a six figure or even seven figure hospital bill for their sick child or spouse should they be denied coverage. Every hard working can American pull themselves up by the bootstraps and pay off those darn bills, didn't you know?

Coming back to reality, I can understand people not liking the ACA because it cost them much more per month. It was always state dependent. ACA offered us a lot of choice here. In the long run, I ended up with way better healthcare for the same cost if not a tad higher or lower depending on the year to year market. I can somewhat respect people for not wanting ACA because their state reps screwed them over. But heaven forbid you hold the same view if your child or spouse or even yourself is dropped from your insurance and then denied coverage by other insurance companies, and forced to pay out of pocket.

I realize I'm bringing up an extreme but I think all of us can be spared from Brad's lengthy story. I feel for Brad, I do, but some people on this board choose to ignore him because of it. I'm not sure if it's the length of the story or because they dislike Brad.

My point is, no hospital or doctor will refuse treatment. None at all. But insurance companies can and will refuse treatment or taking you or other persons on for insurance. At the end of the day, you, your spouse or child(ren) can be treated, but you'll pay the hospital bill out of pocket. And unlike insurance, you will pay what the hospital asks you to pay. You might shave some money off with negotiations. Insurance companies pay by a set fee schedule. You won't have that luxury.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When Republicans say they want all Americans to have "access" to healthcare, they mean it in the same way that all Americans have access to a Lexus. It has nothing to do with the ability to afford it. It's just a matter of having the opportunity to buy it ... if one had the means.

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Are you sure? If repeal is taken up under reconciliation, I don't believe it can be filibustered.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How can it be taken up as reconciliation? Its not technically a budget bill.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Two things I don't understand:

1. What's the rush? Just to get a score on the scoreboard? Haste makes waste. It's stupid to be rushing this through.

2. They are voting on something before it is CBO scored? Really? Then how can they know the effects of what they are voting on? Equally as stupid as rushing it through.

Take your time and get it right I say. Don't do something fast that is just going to get all screwed up again. Geez. :rolleyes:

8. citizenzen, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

When the House was trying to pass the first bill, I heard the same thing. It was based on the point that since the bill reduced the deficit, it would only require a simple majority in the Senate.

Interestingly, the House is bringing this bill out without waiting for a CBO report, most likely because they don't want to see the number of uninsured that it will produce before they vote. But it does strike me as being irresponsible, attempting to pass the bill without that information.

9. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Anyone know if Trump is a pre-existing condition? They'd have to stretch that extra $8b more than Chris Christie's belt.

10. mgguy, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All I can say is that if the GOP repeals Romney/ObamaCare, they'll own the mess that will be created with health care. If they fail to repeal Romney/ObamaCare, then their hollow campaign rhetoric will be revealed for what it is. Either way, the GOP deserves what it gets for vilifying Romney/ObamaCare and making its repeal a central plank of their platform. I just hope that collectively there is enough common sense left in Congress to make sure that the patients affected by this nonsense are looked after, but I am not hopeful.

12. zin macrumors 6502

They don't need 60 votes. That's the whole reason why they have to pass the repeal in multiple phases.

Corporatist Democrats will never pass single payer.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

If this election taught us anything is that one should never say never :)

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When they only need 51 sure they will.

15. zin macrumors 6502

They had almost 60 for two years starting 2009. Why did they pass Obamacare, a massive giveaway that further cements the private insurance model?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They didn't. They had 60 for 2 months. And that included Joe Leiberman who wasn't a Democratic Party member.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's the land of opportunity after all. ;)
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2017 ---
    Lieberman, being the key committee member that killed any hopes of single payer before the bill got out of committee.

I hate that man with a passion.

18. zin macrumors 6502

I said almost 60.

That doesn't answer the question. Why did they shove Obamacare through? Why not even make the effort when your majority in Congress is larger than it has been for years? Why did Barack Obama not even campaign for it? Why not even a public option? Obamacare passed the Senate with 60 votes. They had a filibuster-proof majority.

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Do you ever take a second to look in the mirror and actually read the idiocy that comes through your keyboard? You're berating Democrats for passing a law to greatly expand access to healthcare for all Americans, which they succeeded at but with flaws, yet you're completely complacent in defending Republicans trying to pass this train wreck that would completely destroy our healthcare industry and leave millions to die. Why aren't you berating Republicans for not replacing Obamacare with single payer? They're the ones in power now.

I'll tell you, your journey to far right extremism was a pretty rapid one. Pretty sad. Your posts used to be fun to read. What happened to you?

As for this bill. It won't get 60 votes and you know what else? It won't get 51 votes either. At least half of senate republicans won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. They will modify, make it much more moderate, send it back to the House where it will lose support of the "freedom" caucus, and then it will die again. This won't be going to #45's desk.

20. zin macrumors 6502

I have never defended the current bill so I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know enough to comment on what it would do. The 'far-right extremism' was a nice touch, though. There's nothing far-right about supporting single payer or being against 'free' trade deals.

As for not berating Republicans for not passing single payer, there is no need. They have never supported it. They don't pretend to support universal healthcare. The Democratic Party is the one that continued the illusion of being the party of the worker, yet passed a massive giveaway to insurance companies when they had their chance. Same on trade, foreign policy.

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

And yet you support Republcians?

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Clearly, this current effort must bother you, given your concerns over pushing legislation through ...

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Most alarming, these leaders think this plan will be embraced wholesale by citizens? And they got elected because of their perceived judgement? :rolleyes::oops:

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a living.