House of Representatives Votes To Extend Hate Crimes Law To Gays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Hot on the heals of the gay marriage proposal in D.C, we have this. As they say on /., suddenoutbreakofcommonsense. Enjoy and discuss.

STORY

BL.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Won't this lead us to have to strike down laws against bestiality and pedophilia?

;)

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You don't seriously believe homosexuals are all doing that stuff do you?

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not remotely funny even with your wink.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I don't know. I thought it was kind of funny. I'm glad he said it before one of the anti-gay trolls.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh, oh, oh… side splitting stuff there…
    :rolleyes:

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Feel-good laws

I don't know. I'm just going to type something and put it out there. I can't say I agree with hate crime laws but I understand the motive. You want to reduce violence aimed directly at _______ because they're _______. I am not convinced hate crime laws will deter hate crime. 1st degree murder, for example, is in my opinion inherently hateful. You want to kill him! That's the ultimate form of hate. Knowing why he or she committed murder certainly helps put pieces of the puzzle together but that doesn't help the victim.

Then maybe the goal of of these hate crime laws is to make an example? Show society that this isn't acceptable. But you have to keep in mind the legal system isn't supposed to benefit a 3rd party (society in this case). It's supposed to impart punishment and make amends for the afflicted. In this case, the dead person. That's kind of hard to begin with. For those crimes where the outcome is still the same, whether it's hateful in the sense that the motivation was race-based or homophobic doesn't matter. Someone's still dead or someone was still assaulted.

You're fighting against ingrained prejudice, right?. More legislation and punishment will not work. From what I understand, more jail time = greater recidivism. Not to mention the finances, the burden of proof, and complicating an already complicated situation. I'm having doubts a prosecutor will even attempt to prove something like this in court. You can't truly tell what someone is thinking. You're also flirting with thought crime with these sorts of laws...

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good move

hate crime is a hate crime and should be punished as such

in fact, any crime whose orgin comes out of dislike for an individual based off "association" with something one doesnt agree with as the sole cause should be considered a hate crime imo

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Typical gutless Democrats in Congress.

Won't do this in an up and down vote for a bill standing on its own. They had to attach it to a bill that has to be passed.

So, the summary is, we don't really have the stomach to stand behind this issue on its own so we just attach it to something that has little ability to be debated.

Don't worry about the preachers and their sermons. First time someone takes this new hate crime legislation to court to go after a Church or its representatives the whole thing will be ruled unconstitutional. Again, simply adding more FAIL to the current regime.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Although the new legislation is very important and good, I don't like the idea of attaching it to something totally unrelated. Unless I'm missing something about how US law works.

I suppose this way Fox News can't have a spasm about it :rolleyes:.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree with this. I don't understand why they have to pick and choose what groups qualify as a "hate crime".

13. Queso macrumors G4

That's exactly the way US law works. All sorts of legislation gets tagged into completely unrelated bills. It's an absolutely rubbish system that completely absolves representatives from having to declare their true allegiances on issues.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Should IT Staff have laws preventing hate crimes against them? What about bankers?

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you saying that homosexuality is an occupation?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? Wow- I never expected a post like this from you of all people. I didn't realize being gay was an occupation I chose. Thanks for the enlightenment. :mad: I'm hoping you didn't mean this like you said it, but I am really surprised you said it at all.

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

its a choice as much as an occupation is.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You didn't? :confused:

I remember the day as if it were yesterday…
    I was 10 going on 16 and the Careers Advice people came to school and asked us all what we wanted to be… some wanted to be traindrivers, nurses (yes this was long ago), others dentists.
    However, I had heard about the exciting opportunities offered in this bigoted world by choosing a career as a gay man.

Boy… did that go down well.

Anyway. Here I am. Almost 5 decades later and very happy in my "chosen occupation".
    Oh, and the pension scheme is just fab.
    :rolleyes:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No it isn't. Kindly take you BS to a thread where you know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry- after putting up with crap statements like "it's a choice" for most of my life, when I know it damn well isn't, my civility flies out the window. I'm done being diplomatic and nice about this.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Did you get a Bachelor's or a Master's degree? :D

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'll have you know I am a tenured professor. ;)
    :D

Oh and Lee, heavens. I was joking! Of course it isn't a choice or a career.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know you were joking. :) I was referring to ignorant statements made earlier in the thread. You were being nice about it by joking, and I was saying I just can't joke about it anymore, that's all. ;) But then this shows up and is just too good...

Doctorate, sir. :)

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:)
    They just caught me on one of my "nice" days. ;)

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

haha I believe your doctoral thesis is available on dvd now is it not? :D

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh s***! You found that? :eek: I feel like Paris Hilton! :D