House panel looking into Reddit post about Clinton's email server

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Sep 19, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

I was following this development from its inception earlier in the day. It originally started on various imageboards, before making its way to reddit, and eventually to the House of Representatives and mainstream media.

Basically, what happened is that 'Internet people' began digging into one of the IT technicians of her server. People with lots of time on their hands discovered a hosting website, along with his email address. This email address led them to a username on reddit, which in turn led to the posts he made about asking for advice on stripping data from the emails. They also searched through his social media accounts in order to determine whether the reddit account was genuine.

The reddit account is important because he apparently made posts asking for advice on how to tamper with the emails that were stored (and were, at the time, subject to demands from authorities). In the FBI report, they claimed there was insufficient evidence to support the claim that Hillary Clinton or her aides were aware of the destruction of these emails. The posts by the IT technician seem to suggest otherwise, as he made reference to the customer ("they don't want").

All of those posts on reddit were deleted hours after this started to spread over the Internet.

Somebody needs to make a movie out of this.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So the crown jewels of American national security were illegally stored on a server maintained by a doofus who goes to Reddit for IT advice?

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The moral of the story? Never draw the rage of the internet.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. LizKat, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If I were going to shrink the federal government I'd possibly start with the House Oversight Committee.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not sure what is wrong with wanting not to publish someone else's email address. Am I missing something?

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Or the FBI, if this turns out to be true, it seems like the FBI might need to work on that last letter in their name.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yeah, it's a matter of government record.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The "crown jewels" is hyperbole at best.

But, otherwise, you're correct. If this guy tried to use Reddit for IT advice, he's a dingbat.

10. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

The existence of her unclassified server was not known when these posts were made. The email domain that Clinton used (and the assumption, given the timeline and username, is that the "VIP" is Hillary Clinton) would have alerted Congress to the fact that the unclassified system existed (and thus, the federal records contained on it).

Noteworthy timeline:

If authentic, it shows the technician and the customer ("they") acted with intent in conspiring to tamper with the emails (and, eventually, some were completely deleted) in such a way to conceal the to/from email address.

Or it could be a coincidence.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or it could be a scam/joke based on the press report.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right, it could have been a Reddit post meant to cause people in Congress or the FBI--or the offbrand bress, let's say-- to make that leap from what they were reading in Reddit to what they had read the previous day about the agreement between the House Select Committee and the State Department on records production.

There's no end of things that post could be. Aside from another example of beating a dead horse, I mean.

So whaddya think, Putin, some clerk in the RNC, or an already fired State department employee?

Or just someone in PRSI with a Reddit account? Why not? Oh wait, I forgot. We'll all such tech wizards we'd never embarrass ourselves by pretending to ask how to doctor on a bunch of emails.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Never draw the rage of the House Oversight Committee in the good hands of Republican leadership. They will find something amiss if it takes every last buck in the till.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I hope Assange can support this with more evidence. The FBI are as dirty as the crooked Clintons.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Gee your red white and blue slip is showing, you might want to hike that up a little.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Clinton Derangement Syndrome:

People so certain that Clinton is crooked that if the FBI goes against their preconceived notions, the FBI must also be crooked.

16. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure the email address, the username, the hosting website, the social media accounts, the "VIP (VERY VIP)", and the timelines that all point to Mr. Combetta, along with the fact that all of the reddit posts were deleted, were all a coincidence, too.

FYI the post was made in 2014 and only discovered today. If that person intentionally posted it in 2014 to play games with a 2016 audience, then I'd like to buy them a drink, because that is multi-dimensional levels of chess.

17. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I am surprised that you are surprised.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Why? It's a very important committee. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The post was made one day after the House Select Committee and State Department deal was outlined in the press. Making such a post at that time --as a planted spoof-- makes the email handling seem more worth looking into, at any time --any convenient time, any strategic time-- after whenever the post was noticed by someone. Or pretended to be noticed by someone.

Oh look I think I just saw it go by again now, or was that something else.​

I'm not surprised by any dumb moves the Clintons and those in their bubble may make after all these years of seeing them all assiduously trying to color just inside the lines, so don't get me wrong. But I'm absolutely not surprised by anything her enemies may try to do either.

Would be funny if the Clintons' operatives planted the spoof back then, figuring hey at some point someone's gonna be looking for something like this so let's provide it right now before we forget.

After all, people bogged down in the details of looking up the credentials of some moving van double-parked on the block might fail to notice a grand piano being loaded into a box truck in the service alley.

Smoke and mirrors, none of them ever leave home without it any more. The only exception this year might be that alt-conservative guy McMullin, whose mission is just to play it straight and attract votes from republicans and conservatives who are repulsed by Trump. The joker in that deck is if McMullin won, he's really a smoke and mirrors guy per his resume as CIA and GOP House Policy wonk.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree with lizkat, but HCOGR has become a partisan organ under Chaffetz. They're dragging this thing out with the hope of damaging Clinton as best they can. Though not as bad as the Benghazi Select committee, some members are just playing politics.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think it's an insanely addictive mportsnt issue.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

All these intelligent people scouring all these records all this time and they only just found out about it now, two years later? How can this be?

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Because we have more info thanks to the same committee that you want to shut down. We now know the company that was involved and the email address of some of the people involved. Previously this would've been impossible

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Whoa there trigger. Hold your horse. I don't care if people investigate things. Just that it should be reasonable and not have endless repetition of efforts (One or two committees should be enough). And if they in fact found out new information, what does that say about the competency of the efforts beforehand?

25. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Clinton Crime Family *

*Won’t be prosecuted.