House passes $819 billion stimulus package with 0 GOP votes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nateDEEZY, Jan 29, 2009.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Source: http://digg.com/politics/House_passes_819_billion_stimulus_package_with_0_GOP_votes

I'm a bit confused, why are people up in arms against this stimulus package? I remember a handful of Republicans voting yes on the Wall Street Bail Out, when I called my Congressman and ask that he vote no.

Wall street receive that 700 Billion Bail Out, with bipartisan support. I know I was definitely up in arms about the Wall Street bail out, but just looking over a quick glimpse of what's in the stimulus package, it seems like a pretty good starting point.

I really just not sure how to feel about it, heh.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I think ( and it is an assumption on my part) that the GOP's are pissed because they can't put earmarks for the little pet projects in the package.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the GOP force a bunch of tax cuts, get them in there, then pull out and vote against it.

Slimy?

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

yup, because Rush Limbaugh told them to... :D ooops, wrong thread, or is it... hmmmm.... :p

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

The GOP realized that the first stimulus package has not been very effective. They see a lot of wasteful spending in this "stimulus" package. I am happy that my congresswoman voted against the bill. It is also worth it to mention the 11 Democrats that opposed the bill.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think they voted against all the earmarks. There is a lot of pork in that bill.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then why did they make the bill more cumbersome with all its tax cuts when they knew they were going to vote against it?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If this is the kind of change we can expect, we're doomed.

This bill is full of wasteful crap and falls far short of what we need; putting people to work. Pelosi could be the least effective leader since, well, Harry Reid. :D

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Obama banned the earmarks. But unfortunately I saw a article saying that lawmakers and lobbyists can work around the ban making it harder to track where the money goes.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

A member of congress can and should put forth their ideas in any bill even if they'll vote against it. It was clear that this would pass, thus their ideas should be included in it to place some of their ideals into the decision. Just because you don't want to vote for something doesn't mean that you just hand over the keys to the other group.

Welcome to government!

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I don't really see the problem with this bill.

That being said, at least the Republicans are representing their constituants. When Bush was in power, the Dems all supported the USA PATRIOT Act.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So if it works, they will all go about patting themselves on the back by saying the tax cuts saved us. If it fails they will just demonize the democrats and point out that none of them voted for it.

Don't say it wont happen, because theres no way in hell it won't.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The problem I see with this bill is that it is too timid. It's a fraction of what we need to spend to get this economy going again. It needs fewer tax breaks, and more infrastructure spending by far.

My feeling is that Obama feels that a stimulus package that can be labeled "the trillion dollar giveaway" would be too risky politically.

The GOP obviously saw no upside to voting for this legislation. If it succeeds, Obama and the Democrats will receive credit, whether the GOP supported it or not. And if it fails, it would be better to have been against it; and use the issue as a weapon in 2010.

Obama, by contrast, would have liked to have "bipartisan support" for the bill, so that he could spread the blame if it doesn't work; just as Bush used the votes of Congressional Democrats to spread blame for the Iraq debacle around. Republicans are too smart to fall for that gambit.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Absolutely right. What in hell are the tax cuts for? Isn't the budget out of balance enough?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's start with $335 million funding for sexually transmitted diseases and another $650 million for digital TV box converters (we've already wasted hundreds oif millions on this. Move on already). How does this help our crappy economy? Surely, we can find better things to throw a billion at.

This bill is light on infrastructure spending. That puts people to work.

The bill is full of pet projects that don't serve the national interest.

I'd like to see Obama say, we're going to fund the rebuilding of the World Trade Center (friggin' NY and NJ pols have really screwed this up). How sad that we have nothing more than a whole in the ground after 7 years.

Rebuild our damn roads and bridges. Put people to work. Give tax breaks to people who buy American cars. Put people back to work. Offer tax cuts to businesses who rescind announced layoffs. Keep people working. [/rant]

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I too would like to see MUCH more infastructure spending. The tax cuts I really don't understand. Its like the GOP wants the government to run on no money whatsoever, yet the majority of them support the war.

It just don't add up!

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This bailout wont save current jobs, it can create new ones. The companies in trouble now will not be around to see this money.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What can be done to save current jobs?

I really don't like hearing tax cuts, because thats not how corporations work. They don't go "well thank god we saved 15 million on taxes this year, now we can save all these jobs!" They will still cost cut any way possible.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Nothing will save current jobs, companies are still going to cut back to save money. We need to look to what jobs can be created.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So would you too like to see massively increased infastructure spending??

You know how bad some of our roads are.....

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We have bridges in this state that I don't trust driving on. How can we be sure that we get the money to fix these bridges.

But how do we pay for it. If we don't have money now where will it come from. We can't grow money on trees.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then we should just sit around and watch?

23. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I agree with that actually, after more observation. Since the Republicans obviously didn't want to support it anyway, he shouldn't have tried to compromise with them.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is all the wasteful spending timid? I'd say they went overboard.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

It probably won't happen, because I don't think that this "stimulus" will do anything but raise the federal deficit. I'm not really a big believer in the abilities of parties, big government or small.