House passes bill to bring troops home in '08

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 12, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

cnn

"satisfactory progress"? didn't the iraqi gov't miss every single one of its targets?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it is when the President and Military can't take care of things themselves.

i hope it goes through.
    i suppose its good that they're trying though. things won't get better there until we leave.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Name one.

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i get the the feeling the military is just as at odds with the president as everyone else in the world is.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Was anybody else concerned with this gem by our Fearless Leader "The president said it is not Congress' job to make decisions regarding the war"

Did we just take a page out of Cheney's book? Honestly, who the f*** does this guy think he is!!!!! He's wasting the tax payer's money, killing our troops (not to mention innocent Iraqi civilians) for what? A free democratic Iraq?

I hate this man with a passion, can't wait to see him in hell.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Spin, ?

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. i thought murtha handled that well.

8. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Alright, I was just checking. I could have sworn that I learned that Congress decides when we go to war, not the President. Hm, guess we made some amendments to a few laws while I was asleep.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Lowered expectations.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Congress long ago gave the power for the president to effectively wage war in limited operations. The actual declaration of war as stipulated by the constitution is now meaningless. As far as the current debacle goes, congress gave him the authority including John Kerry, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards.

11. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I figured that much. And I know, just about everybody approved the war and the Patriot Act yada yada yada I know. Blinded by fear.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Based on false evidence.

But drink up your Kool-Aid. King George to the end, right?

13. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Didn't they try this before and settled for min. wage increase instead? Coming home would make my wife happy, but we will still be there. Even if it did happen, it will take 12-18 for a full military draw down.

IMO I think the Rep. will draw down before the elections to try draw support, to try and win the presidency, then we will build back up and be back to where we are now.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If Americans had any shred of intelligence left, they wouldn't vote Republican for decades to come. If a Republican is elected, Zeus help us all, I will have lost the tiny bit of faith left I have in this country.

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

They had the IQs to pick apart W's house of cards case against saddam, right? Instead, they looked at W's poll numbers and decided to be sheep. Not one of them had the spine to do the right thing and denounce Bush as a war-mongerer on the spot.

Where do you get off with your slanderous accusations that I am right-wing?

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not certain who's in the set of "them", but robert byrd certainly tried.

17. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

i don't remember his specific vote, but it would not surprise me. Even if he had presidential ambitions I think he would have voted the same way he did. speculation.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

his no vote is the minor thing. he led an unsuccessful filibuster against iraq action, and gave a rather moving speech basically asking wtf was wrong with everyone.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Where did I call you right-wing in this thread? What I did say was "King George to the end, right?", because you keep using old talking points ("Dems voted for the war") from right-wing pundits.

20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Not this thread, directly, but the other thread. You do realize I am against the whole war thing, right? Who's kool-aid are you accusing me of drinking and why? Why would you do such a thing?

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Excuse me if I misjudged your political stance. In multiple threads you have used the term "the left" in a negative way, which led me to believe you are "the right". I also remember you saying you support Ron Paul, who is the most far-right with fiscal issues in the Republican primaries.

22. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Hahaha!!! Please, please find the quote where I support that nimrod!

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I apologize, it appears I have you confused with somebody else.

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

No problem. Look, politically I am all over the map. You should hear how I get bashed as a communist coward when i call into local talk radio.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Shhh. Don't you know that the libs have selective amnesia?