House rejects Bush's plan to eliminate Public Broadcasting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Jul 19, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/18/congress.broadcasting.ap/index.html

Here's an idea; leave Iraq and you'll be saving $5,000,000,000+ a month.

I applaud the house, and their vote of 357-72. PBS and NPR are the only unbiased news left in this country. They are also the only new sources I know of that don't report celebrity ******** as "news".

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

to be fair, the plan wasn't to eliminate public broadcasting, but rather the federal funding thereof. it's not like public broadcasting was suddenly going to become illegal...

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Without the hundreds of millions the federal government puts into public broadcasting, it would have died. Or it would be pledge drives 24/7.

It's ridiculous that they need to have those in the first place. I'd like to see the government funding public broadcasting even more, though I know it won't happen with this bunch in charge, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

You have to be careful with this. When a government is in complete control of the funding of public broadcasting they have a lot more influence over what type of content the channels broadcasts. The station will become unwilling to anger the government because they might fear being cut from the budget. I am not really a fan of government run broadcasting. I do not see it as the role our government should be playing.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For this very reason, decades ago Congress put CPB on a five-year funding plan. Republicans have been trying for years to eliminate this (along with federal CPB funding entirely), but AFIAK have never succeeded.

I'm not a huge fan of federal funding of CPB if only because it will never cease being a political football. But I also see the shift (already well underway) toward corporate funding of CPB. The big difference between public broadcasting and the rest of the industry is the degree of commercial influence.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Are you serious?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I dunno, are you?

We can play around with the definition of bias all day and get absolutely nowhere, but the reality is NPR/PBS are the only respectable news sources left in the U.S. Virtually everything else is complete and utter trash.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Our very own MacRumors study of NPR

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Where's swarmlord? I thought he'd be all over this. :)

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Always great to revisit old threads and one's previously unnoticed typos. :)

12. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Yes, I'm dead serious. Maybe you should listen for a week and see for yourself.

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I do listen to NPR regularly (it is either that or something off the iPod) with Morning Edition and All Things Considered typically falling into my schedule during the commute to and fro school. Most of the content is informative and relatively unbiased, however, it is my opinion that the manner in which the news is presented is somewhat skewed to the left. Can I prove this? No. It is merely my subjective opinion.

But I'm pretty sure that NPR is the only thing left (no pun intended) worth salvaging on the FM dial and I genuinely enjoy listening to it.

Also, it really helps with my road rage in the mornings when I'm running late when some jackass pulls out in front of me on a two lane road then proceeds to cruise at about 35 while riding the yellow line, making it too close for me to pass. Much more soothing than hip-hop or rock...:p

14. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, reality does have a liberal bias.

It is soothing though, and really takes you out of where you are. I listen to it at work, and time flies by. I hate driving, but when I do, listening to NPR does make me hate it less.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will be the first to day that it is very untrue on the fact that it is bias. It is impossible to remove bias from a report or what you report because it is human nature. They select the stories they put on the air and what they choose to talk about with a degree of bias in them.
    Now they are not horribly bias like a lot of the other news but they are still bias. They are a little more on the liberal side of neutral.

Thinking they are unbiased well wrong and all it states is you like which why they are a little bit biased.

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

When a talk show questions the constitutional compliance of our leadership. how is that "liberal"?

I don't get it.

When a talk show discusses waste, fraud and abuse of public trust, how is
    that " liberal"?

Now if you mean those shows are 'liberal" because they dare to speak truth
    to power, dare to expose fraud and deception in our leadership, then "liberal" equates to free speech, which is something we should all cherish.

Once again the political spin doctors use double speak to twist the meaning
    of conservative and liberal.

I'm a strong supporter of public broadcasting because they are free to question authority, when that authority is out of line.

Demanding accountability, justice, fairness, ethics and open government is
    far more a politically conservative value.

This administration is quite "liberal" with their own personal interpretation
    of the law as it pertains to public servants.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'd have to agree. **** the war. We could have had a moon base by now. I actually watch and enjoy PBS. Lets get out of Iraq, let whoever is there blow up each other or let Iran have it, and if the terrorists "follow us home" so be it. If they blow up something over here, it just give us another excuse smash them.

Now thats just crazy talk. I like NPR and All Things Considered, but I'd never accuse them of being "fair and balanced". At least theyre not as crazy as MSNBC.

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Given a choice between jail time and absolute power, I can't help but wonder
    what new diversion Bush and Company have up their sleeves.

We've all heard the recent escalation in propaganda relating to Al Qaida.

This tells me they are desperate men looking for any way possible to escape
    the investigation of their office.

I know this from my father, that these war profiteers will stop at nothing unless we stop them first.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nice, I like that. :)

You've got to be amused when someone insists that NPR has a liberal bias but can't prove it. In fact, they probably can't even provide a shred of evidence for it. It's just, you know, biased.

Bias is such a tricky word. As we've seen in this and every other thread when this subject arises, the default argument is that everybody has bias, so it's only a matter of deciding which biases they're promoting. Thus, nothing and nobody is to be trusted unless they're telling you exactly what you wanted to hear in the first place. This is the entire rationale for Fox News -- deliberate selectivity and bias to supposedly counteract all of the other selectivity and bias. Too bad it's a totally bogus argument.

The solution is to trash the word bias. It doesn't have any useful meaning in this context. To judge the relative quality of NPR and PBS vs. the other sources of radio and TV news, you need only watch and listen to them. It's immediately clear that only PBS and NPR are treating you like an intelligent adult who prefers to be informed instead of entertained.

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's immediately clear that only PBS and NPR are treating you like an intelligent adult who prefers to be informed instead of entertained.

Thankyou!

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Here is a 'shred' from their own website:

npr

npr

Its silly to imply that any news organization is without bias. If you find yourself never disagreeing with whats said the odds are that its a little left.

Again, I happen to like All Things Considered and Robert Siegel.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, not even close to making your point. Instead of refuting your ridiculous misrepresentation of the contents of these articles, I would suggest that anyone who is interested simply read them and see for for themselves. In fact much of what is said in them contradicts your point.

Speaking of silly, this isn't a thing I did say or even imply. In fact I'm the one who's been suggesting that the word bias does not even belong in this discussion. I'm suggesting that there is a higher, better and more objective method of judging the quality of a news source. Those who look for bias are always going to find some evidence of it.

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My Kudos go to Diane Rhem for having the guts to discuss issues openly and fairly asking tough questions.

She is not afraid to discuss issues that Faux News would never touch like how extensively this administration is using privately funded corporate mercenaries like Blackwater and how the funding for these contractors seems immune to typical oversight.

She's not afraid to discuss Impeachment or rampant government corruption and she does so with the greatest dignity and tact
    even if the guest is spouting nothing but Karl Roves " approved"
    rhetoric.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's a clue for some people.

There is nothing wrong with a liberal bias view.

As a matter of fact the U.S. needs MORE of it.

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Again, I totally do not get why it's called " liberal" bias.

Since when is seeking truth a "liberal" concept?

Why is objective or investigative reporting considered " liberal"?

I would much prefer to catagorize news as either OPEN Coverage or
    CANNED Coverage.