House Republicans reverse course object to fair elections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Apr 25, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

From C & L:

Despite unanimously supporting a bill in committee two weeks ago that would provide federal funds to local governments to pay for recounts and paper trails, House Republicans have reversed course and blocked the bill from receiving an up-or-down vote. This move ensures two things, and two things only: a) the accusations of fraud that marred the 2000 and 2004 elections will continue, and b) the GOP shows once and for all that they have nothing but contempt for our democracy and free and fair elections.

Politico:

Voting rights activists who hoped the federal government would help local governments pay for paper trails and audits for electronic voting machines have gone from elation to frustration as they watched Republicans who supported such a proposal in committee vote against bringing it to the House floor.

When New Jersey Democratic Rep. Rush Holt’s Emergency Assistance for Secure Elections Act came up for a vote in the House Administration Committee on April 2, the Republicans on the committee gave it their unanimous support. But two weeks later, those same Republican members voted against moving the bill to the House floor. It would have taken a two-thirds vote to push the bill to the floor; with most House Republicans opposed, the bill didn’t make it that far.

Tin foil hats aside, what possible reason could the GOP have for opposing such a measure? 2000 and 2004 have left such a bitter taste in the electorate’s mouth that this seems like a no-brainer.

2. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Who was it that bought voting machines with no print out capability in the first place? Didn't the importance of audit trails in elections occur to them? They should pay for their own mistake.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not that anyone cares (especially the MSM), and despite all evidence to the contrary it is still labeled a tin foil hat type of thing, making it so easy to actually happen, I would be surprised if it didn't.

4. stevegmu macrumors regular

As per the article-

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I hardly think $50 million was the reason for this reversal considering the trillion dollar budget and the billions being thrown haphazardly in other ways.

Even if $50 million additional dollars was the reason, it shows how little Republicans value democracy if they aren't willing to put forth only a fraction of a percent of our Federal revenues towards better vote auditing.

This Republican move is nothing but despicable.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

From what I have heard, we control the voting machines, and plan on keeping it that way.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused:

I have no idea what you're referring to, but my sarcasm detector is going off the scale.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He may be being sarcastic, but it's actually kinda true.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So the "we" he was referring to was the Republican party then?

10. stevegmu macrumors regular

Who makes the voting machines? Diebold. Diebold, being a corporation, is a part of the vast right-wing conspiracy. We, therefore, control the vote, which is why a paper trail- regardless of how expensive, is not an option. How do you think we won so many seats in the mid-term elections?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ok, so now that I know what you're jabbing at, may I ask what it has to do with the House Republicans objecting to this bill?

If your only justification for their turn around is the $50 million, then I feel pity for you.

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920030-7.html

The unused federal grant $ should take care of the cost, not new funding.