House the gitmo folks in Alcatraz?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Jan 25, 2009.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I don't know wether to laugh or cry at the comments on that article! A lot of the commenters haven't realised that it would be a terrible idea, instead blaming Nancy Pelosi for supposedly implying a "not in my backyard" kind of scenario. How depressing.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Was my description really that far off, Skunk?

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I suspect that some of the commentators were speaking rhetorically, as was I.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Fox news followers. You can ignore or laugh at them at your whim.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I knew that you were, and yeah I see that they are now:eek: Thats what I get for skimming through!

Still some general democrat-bashing though, well, it is from fox news!

Who even proposed this idea?

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I like this idea, and I'm sure Vegas will get behind it, if we implant a GPS transmitter in everyone, and show them where the boat dock is.

You live, you get a plane ticket home.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's just stupid. There are existing facilities that can handle these prisoners. The amount of money that it would take to harden Alcatraz to the point where it was able to contain hardened terrorists would make any fiscally responsible person cringe -- particularly when existing locations exist that would not require that sort of capital outlay. You're basically talking about a total demolition of the existing facility and a complete re-build.

This is just petty, petulant politicking by the GOP. The fact that FOXNoise pushes this crap only goes to show how far in the tank they are for the GOP.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm sure the only reason it was suggested was to provoke some nimbyism on the part of Californians. Pelosi could have handled it better.

It would cost hundreds of millions to build a prison there much less the fact that much of the island is a wildlife protection area.

10. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I dont see how fox news is to blame, it was a rhetorical comment made by a politican to point out the problems that exist in closing gitmo, and Fox news wrote an article about it. Where will the prisoners go? Who would want them housed in a prison close to them? I wouldn't, and I suspect that Im not alone.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You'll have to point out exactly where I said that it was FOXNoise's fault that a GOP Congressman made this comment.

The fact that FOXNoise is in the tank for the GOP is hardly a debatable proposition.

As for Rep. Young's comments, sure one way to describe them would be rhetorical. Another way to describe them would be "unserious" or "playing politics". With an issue of this gravity, one would hope that the loyal opposition would be more interested in proposing sound, workable solutions rather than simply scoring political points, no?

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're not listening to me.

The tides in the Bay area make fortification of Alcatraz unnecessary.

Let them try to escape. Water-boarding would be a joke after battling those currents for hour upon hour.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The entire legal and penal system should be based on aquatic abilities.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Alcatraz was closed for a reason, and have you been there recently? It's not like they just need to dust the furniture and put a new coat of paint on the walls to get it 'back up to code' so to speak.

Lethal

EDIT:
    From the other Gitmo thread.
    If it's good enough for convicted terrorists and would-be assassins shouldn't it be good enough for possible terrorists?

Lethal

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And those who were arrested merely to make it look like something was getting done????

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL! People swim it all the time. That link celebrates the athletes who've done it more than 100 times.

Sure, it's tougher at night; and the less tidal information you have, the more perilous the attempt becomes. But with the ease with which a wet (or dry) suit could be smuggled to the island; and the myriad ways a comprehensive tidal chart could be conveyed along with it, the risk of an escape is much higher than it would have been back when the prison last operated.

And apparently you don't understand the conditions at Alcatraz. Have you ever been there? It would be cruel to house the guards there under current conditions, even if you're not concerned with the conditions under which we keep such prisoners. I'm an architect. I've been involved with juvenile detention facility plans, and even those specification would require so much of an upgrade just for the safety of the prison staff that you'd be talking about retrofitting costs that would easily quadruple the costs of a demo and rebuild -- if it were even possible; which I highly doubt, having seen the conditions there on several occasions. The specifications for a supermax facility would be substantially worse. Even the most anti-Pelosi Republican would be foolhardy to approve a construction boondoggle like an Alcatraz retrofit.

I stand by the assertion that the idea of housing Gitmo detainees at Alcatraz is a stupid idea that is only being proffered for the purposes of "playing politics". It is an unserious idea, and the person who made it deserves to be roundly mocked for attempting such a cheap political stunt.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Who would that be? Almost all of the people in gitmo have been charged with no crime. Surely if they were guilty of something they would have been charged and tried in a credible judicial system, no?

18. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Perhaps we could have the Gitmo prisoners do battle with one another on live tv (Fox, naturally). There could be electric prods that the audience could use on the prisoners (from behind safety glass-we don't want any red-blooded Americans getting hurt!). And if one prisoner happened to inflict a mortal would on another, we would have one less potential terrorist and all the tax dollars he required to worry about.

I write this as a joke, but I have a strange feeling that many of the right-wing MR members would approve of this scenario. I have no idea what they think will honestly satisfy their blood-lust for retribution, but even a hint of reflection on human nature would let them know that nothing ultimately will. And it is this unquenchable thirst for vengeance that has been driving American politics for the last 7 years.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

[​IMG]

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

21. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

and which ones are those?

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Check out posts 28 and 38 of the President Obama orders Guantanamo trials to be halted thread to read about people w/o any terrorist connection at all being sent to Gitmo because it was apparently more important to get warm bodies there than to get people who might actually pose a threat.

Lethal

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The ones with no charge, no evidence against them and no reason for them to be there.

What about Mozam Begg or other British citizens that have been released without any charge? Fair game because he's got a funny name? Martin Mubanga? Richard Belmar is a bit more of a normal name, what do you have against him? What do you have against any of the 9 British citizens that were released with no charge? What about the other innocent men inside that there is no evidence against?

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

:eek:

Battle Royale.jpg

25. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12