House votes on repeal of healthcare law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 19, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-repeal-vote-20110120,0,6239502.story

The House Republicans really need to get a grip. This is going nowhere and they know it.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Waste of time, waste of effort. I guess the GOP just wants to say to it base that it "tried"...but I'm expecting it to push moderates/independents away from them 2012.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's for sure. They know damn well this isn't going anywhere. Our government has become a complete joke.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Exactly.

The GOP should be courting the moderates now, but this move to appease the very far right wing fringe of the Republicans will have a ton of moderates voting anything but Republican in 2012. The Democrats have the most to gain from the nitwits on the GOP side of the House, and then the Libertarians, who now (with the GOP House thing) have a legitimate gripe against what they call Washington gridlock which the GOP House side is displaying.

Unlike the organized effort of the GOP in 1994, the 2010 Republicans are not thinking long term and they are so happy with their recent 2010 elections gains, it's as if they chalk up 2010 as a big victory and will rest on those laurels, all as they lose seats in the 2012 election.

5. quagmire, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If they just repealed parts of it like the forcing me to buy healthcare or get penalized, then I think they would gain more support.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I loved Eric Cantor calling on the Senate to not be the place where legislation goes to die.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

just a temporary setback ... this will go through one day

8. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Yes, that way I can pay for your health care when you have a heart attack. :eek:

In any case, Republicans are delusional. This bill is only going to continue to expand as the years go on. Here's to hoping that one day we'll actually have a Health Care system that covers everyone.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This requirement is a piss poor way to replace the public option. I was in favor of the public option, but I am not in favor of requiring me to buy health insurance.

10. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Well at least we agree there.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the road to UHC ... is paved with requiring people to have it and pay for it.

UHC is not free health care.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Of course it isn't, and nobody says it is. It's just the most efficient way to pay for it, as demonstrated by every other first-world nation on the planet.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Efficiency is what makes this universal health care a good thing. Fiscal conservatives should realize that sometimes you have to spend money in order to make it. I hope a person realizes and requires that their doctor spent money through college and medical school to become a doctor. It wasn't a waste of money when he/she saves your life.

And it doesn't hurt the doctor who spends hundreds of thousands on their education to reap a couple of a million more in income had they not gone to college and medical school. It was an investment on the doctor's part knowing that for some time after becoming a doctor, or nurse, or dentist, they would be in debt for a time. But after the break even point, then the higher amount of income per hour (or salary per year) more than makes up for the costs of a medical education.

The early estimates of savings on this health care is supposed to net 100 times its initial cost over 30 years. It won't be cheap to implement and Obama will be long out of office before the savings start being seen. In the long run, the savings are supposed to be three digit trillions (a lot of moolah).

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Great post.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lets face it. This was nothing more than beating a drum for everyone. Everyone voting knew it was a meaningless vote and what they are worried about is in 2014 when everything goes into full effect there will be no way to remove it because of the good things in it.

But at the same times the heath insurance act they passed was crap.
    It was not a heath care bill it was nothing more than a heath insurance act and does nothing to address the underlining problems in our system.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

By the time Obama is out of office (and i hope to god he wins a second term), people will start to accept it and reap the benefits of the reform. It's not going anywhere, it's here to stay. And hopefully will lead to UHC, which i think is Obama's real motive. Mark my words, the Democrats will be back in 2012. The republicans that were just voted in are already proving themselves to be morons and wasting my tax dollars in frivolous garbage. Maybe i will be more on their side when they give up their health insurance that WE pay for, and when their parents give up their medicare. Since they LOOOVE privatizing so damn much.

The healthcare act was just breaking the ice for the democrats future goals. I love my donkeys.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well the house vote was to for fill a campaign promise. The promise that they would vote to repeal the health insurance act. The GOP knew that it would never go anywhere but drum beating. If it came up in the Senate and some how passed it is known Obama would veto it and no way in hell they will have the votes.
    This was nothing more than a promise in for the house. As much as I disagree with it. They at least kept a campaign promise.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"I have a problem with the assumption here that somehow the Senate can be a place for legislation to go into a cul-de-sac or a dead-end," House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said."

Didn't have a ****ing problem with that for the last two years though, did he? :mad:

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will believe it when I see it. My gut tells me that nothing more will really come of it. With out a public option and more importantly a way to get control on the out of control runway increasing cost anything they pass is worthless.

20. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That is true, but it was a stupid promise to make to begin with knowing damn well they would never be able to fulfill it. They didn't promise to TRY to repeal health care reform, they said they would do it. And they knowingly lied.

I predict healthcare reform part 2 will happen in about 20 years.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If memory serves me the promise was to vote to repeal health care reform. Not to repeal it. They said they would VOTE to repeal it and guess what they did vote to repeal it. Just it is not going to go any where

20 years.. I think you are being a bit optimistic. I think most of us will long be dead.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah you're right on the vote part actually. But i don't think im being too optimistic, times are changing fast, and i think when this healthcare law kicks in americans will start demanding UHC. i won't be surprised when that happens.

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I'd be totally for repealing it if we were replacing it with a single payer system. :D

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ok, where did I put my scotch?

25. 63dot, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Wow, thanks.

I just can't convince people who think that putting in any long term investments for the USA is a good thing (education, healthcare, etc.)

Here is the conservative's reasoning (in their words with best or most repeated arguments):

"The US government is wasteful and just take a look at the tax and spend Democrats. They gave us NASA and we went to the moon, but what did that get us? We haven't been there since. The Democrats gave us Vietnam and we ultimately lost a lot of lives and spent a lot of money.

There is no correlation between education and income, so why all the spending on education when we have a national deficit most years. Education spending is a big reason we have that deficit.

As for healthcare, we would likely go by a model similar to another government healthcare model, the Veteran's Administration. Anyway, take a look at the horror stories of the VA today and in the past. What if you have cancer or heart disease and you need timely and efficient care? Could an entity akin to the VA, which would basically be what national health care amounts to, be able to save you? You would have to flee to Mexico or Canada to get better care!

And finally look at Obama's America. We have the highest deficit in history and all efforts should be funneled towards getting rid of the deficit. It's about the economy, stupid."

And so the story goes. It's actually pretty hard to fight these deeply entrenched ideas of the Republicans and some right-leaning Libertarians and Independents. Whenever I try and convince conservatives that it's in our best interest to also think long-term, they usually point to the current deficit (whom some will admit was largely under Bush) and be adamant about doing anything to cut it right now. Since Obama is now commander in chief and we are in two wars, the conservatives now blame the stalemate on two fronts on Obama and the costs they both incur daily. A conservative will either say Obama didn't pull out and cut his losses as he should have, or he couldn't finish the job Bush started and thus the terrorists either won or got away on Obama's watch.