Houston shooting: Nine injured, suspect dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Sep 27, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so a white lawyer who may have been a nazi went nuts in Texas and was shooting people and to a peep here?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/26/us/ho...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thankfully no one was killed and the shooter is dead.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Crazy
    legally owned guns
    semi-automatic.

Apparently not worthy as it does not further meaningful gun control debate.

And completely agree with @ucfgrad93

(BTW, I know that neighborhood, upper-middle class, great location, also very close (1/10 mile) to news making site of horrific murder by Mexican drifter with violent history)

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

please tell me what kind of "control" would have stopped this other than a full ban? hell that would only to the "legally owned" aspect of it.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

This kind?

7. steve knight, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Not yours refugee Muslim hate trump. Is that why you did not post this? Another good guy with a gun.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Required psychological examinations as part of the registration process to gain or renew license, if not more frequently. That's the only process I can see that *might* help prevent/reduce the number of mass killings we see like these. The legal system uses such evaluations as factors in criminal cases retroactively. Why not use them proactively? And maybe if this system is not 100% effective, which it won't be, at the people who know something's not right with them would be deterred.

I suppose the other option would be to allow physicians providing psychiatric care to patients to see if their clients are registering/registered with a weapon and provide influence on that. Unfortunately most mentally ill people don't seek help, that interferes with current privacy laws, and does not account for illegally obtained guns.

And while no one died during this horrible event, we don't know how many are permanently disfigured or disable due to this man's actions. I know a guy who was shot during a robbery and suffers severe chronic pain due to his spine essentially being shattered. Miraculously, he's alive and otherwise healthy, he can walk, but his quality of living is rather low.

I believe in the right for most citizens to possess firearms, but there are some people who should not be allowed to based on reasons of mental health.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not disagreeing with you on this one, but how do you think we should handle the HIPAA issues? I mean, you would be releasing a persons mental health to the community at large.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no thanks.

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

That's just because you are crazy. :rolleyes:

12. cfedu, Sep 27, 2016

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

There is no law that can change the gun problem in the USA. The only fix for the problem is through a cultural change. Education and coming down hard on people for illegal possession to the point were were criminals will not risk being caught with a gun. After a few generations law abiding citizens will use them less and less.

I know Canada is not a good example, but I'm happy to know that if I cut someone off by mistake, I will not get shot by someone with road rage. If this even happens in the USA (without banning guns), I think there will be much fewer accidental deaths, like the 2 year old shooting his mother in the head at Walmart.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I guess that's a $1,000,000 question.

I suppose the best way about it is limiting the amount of information and how far it spreads as much as possible is what people would feel most comfortable about.

If you have the government evaluate the individual, you're basically circumventing HIPAA since in completing the evaluation you're submitting your approval to the state. That's probably the easiest way about it. It's also the most encompassing.

There are people with psychiatric problems who don't get treatment ever. Those who go to impatient care and don't ever follow up with an outpatient provider. Those diagnosed with a condition who haven't seen a provider in years. Etc.

Getting outside doctors directly connected with the state causes a lot more issues with HIPAA, accountability, etc. Someone can see a psychiatrist or even a GP for a variety of psychiatric reasons, which may or may not be sufficient to warrant banning gun ownership. I think you'd be more likely to run into polticically biased docs using an outside system. But if that were the route I think a simple accept/debt statement would make people most comfortable.

Many states are already turning towards government universal health databases that record individuals health records within the state. This also happens between many hospital networks. I could go to Mass General hospital for a broken arm a week later go to Beth Israel (both private hospitals) and they would see the record despite being an entirely different company. Most state's governments now have prescription monitoring to track doctor shopping which includes personal information. Insurance processing is all done over the Internet. The government already has -or could easily have- a lot of our health info already.

TLDR government assessments would probably be the easier route.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    I'm sure you mind the vision test your state requires for your driver's license too, right?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no where near the same my friend. what you propose is no where near feasible in the first place. as daflake said that would open an amazing can of worms with HIPAA .

15. daflake, Sep 27, 2016

daflake macrumors 6502a

Our government doesn't have a great track record with protecting records. Hell, my information was leaked with the OPM hack. Are you sure you want the government tracking this kind of stuff? What happens if a person gets on the list accidentally? There are a lot of reasons that I can think of to not allow them to have this information.

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Ideas proposed by A.Goldberg would be a start

Also any sudden purchase of large quantities of ammo.

Just like bars could refuse patrons if they had too much, gun shops could refuse ammo (and gun) sales if they suspect something wrong, as with Aurora mad shooter.
    Track ammo purchases could also signal a warning.

Nothing is fool proof, but this could stop a number of these cases.

17. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

This wasn't too far from my hospital when it all happened. Was pretty nuts.

Luckily I was driving into the med center on the opposite end.

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

yet law makers, lawyers, and people will adapt in long run.

Its NRA that will go nuts.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

open that can of worms and watch it apply to abortion among other things, you guys have no idea what you are proposing.

20. daflake macrumors 6502a

Great, I am going to the range and purchase a thousand rounds or more (maybe a sale) and suddenly I am on some watchdog list. I'll pass on that one.

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Try banning all guns.
    Which would be easier?

well, I was not nuanced. Someone with a history and is well known would have a track record of safe and responsible firearm use.
    Its like commercial vehicles operators, especially aircraft. They are well monitored.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good post.

I also think we look at gun violence all wrong. I get why people focus on mass shootings, but you can't stop them all. We should be doing more to reduce violence as a whole, not just latch on to some pipe dream that we can prevent every crazy out there from going on a random rampage.

This could be done for the most part by enforcing existing laws on the books, not writing new ones. But of course enforcement costs lots of money and nobody wants to spend that money.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are under some weird assumption we have to pick from your choices :D

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Status Quo not working.

25. daflake macrumors 6502a

Oh, I forgot to mention that shops can already do this. Tracking ammo purchases is pointless as I mentioned. I know a lot of folks who will stock up on ammo when a sale hits.