How’s business?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t need the news to tell me the economy is slowing because I am experiencing it. In the 11 years I’ve worked at my company I’ve never seen such a slowdown. I live in Silicon Valley, don’t work in tech, but a lot of our customers work for tech in a support capacity. I don’t entirely blame Trump, despite the slowdown starting pretty much the day he took office, because I think the Silicon Valley tech bubble is long overdue for a burst. At some point VC firms had to get tired of flushing billions of dollars down the toilet.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I business is skewering liberals, and business is good.

Seriously, I work in the defense industry and it has been pretty solid for the 15 years I've been in it. Some programs have been shut down but usually replaced by other programs. Whats killing me is that even though I make more now than I did in 2012 I make far less primarily due to the ACA.

3. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

There are 3 certainties in the US: Death, taxes, and the defense industry will always have money, especially since 9/11. Of course your industry is doing fine.

4. BeeGood, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

The economy is cyclical. Every 7-10 years on average, we have a recession. We're probably due one during this administration.

I work in banking. It's been pretty much the same since the Great Recession. Low interest rates = smaller spreads so it's harder for one bank to differentiate itself from the rest, especially with the regulatory hurdles imposed by Dodd-Frank.

For me personally things have been pretty good. Steady pay raises, one promotion and constant work over my last 5.5 years here.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You didn't mention what your business is. I work for a media company, tv, internet, etc. and business is fine for now. With cable cutting and kids not watching traditional tv, that might change over the next decade or so.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm going to start a business that makes ***** hats that have absorbent shammy flaps to absorb the tears of millenials when people are mean or something is what they consider unfair. Each hat comes with a coupon for one free puppy play date for when Trump gets re-elected and each hat is stitched with the phone number of a local anti-depressant issuing psychologist. I should make millions.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what industry you are in or how you are measuring this so called economic slowdown your talking about but I see that the opposite is happening. The stock market is at an all time high and the housing market is heating up. When housing is up the economy is up.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/24/spring-housing-strongest-sellers-market-ever.html

8. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

My company leases equipment to move goods. Locally a good percentage of our customers help company building moves or buying and selling old office equipment. The 2008 recession was barely noticeable here.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---

Both the speculation based stock market and housing market are ticking time bombs. I’m asking for people’s personal experience.

9. TheHateMachine, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

My business has been rocking since the election. We were slow over the summer and fall. But once the election was over the flood gates opened. Now I think it was the uncertainty slowing it down and once we had a President those who supported him opened their wallets. I'm not saying Trump is the reason because I think if Hillary had won, her supporters would have opened their wallets.

11. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Good to hear I am the only one on the forum so far seeing business decline. Meh, not my company and it isn't coming out of my paycheck...yet.

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

the first 3 months were rough, shop was only working 3 days so that we would not have to lay off anyone, right now shop is working 10 hr days & 6 days a week so we passed the storm.

13. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Business is declining where I live, but I'm in Podunk Illinois, so that was bound to happen.
    Caterpillar is abandoning Peoria like Harvester abandoned Canton, and Canton has been down sliding since then, and now that Cat is leaving (it's the largest employer in the area by far, with over 10x as many employees as the runner-up) the entire 309 area is pretty much guaranteed economic death.

But I blame that on factors concerning Illinois more than the country as a whole. IL has been **** for business because of all of the extra red tape, taxes, and other miscellaneous ******** that's been added for decades now. We're the most taxed state in the union, and still can't balance a budget, our neighbors are more business-friendly, have lower taxes, and no major budget issues. (and they're, quite frankly, better places to live as well).

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm in IL....here here.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We've been juicing the economy with debt, printing dollars, and quantitative easing for the last decade, the question should be did the underlying economy ever actually recover or did we just pave over the top of it by doubling our debt and feeding rich people money?

16. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

While giving the people who caused the recession a wag of the finger and a wink followed by a pat on the back and a comfort bonus.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I work in healthcare, business will aways be there. There was/is some uncertainty about how Trump will affect insurance, particularly Medicaid, but frankly I haven't been too worried. I work for a psychiatric hospital in particular that's heavily dependent on private pay (no direct insurance reimbursement) programs as it is. In such cases you earn a lot more money than Medicaid or private insurance reimbursement.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am in the public sector so business is good by definition :)
    All joking aside, North Texas is booming. It's probably more because of Texas than what happens in Washington.