iPhone X How’s your battery life on X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

You’re saying even after restoring from iTunes (re downloading ios 11.1 and installing it on your iPhone X though iTunes), not restoring from any backup and using the phone, still gets the same battery life?

EDIT - it depends on what apps you’ve used. Could you send the other half of your battery usage screen? Need to see what’s on the top. But to answer your question, that is awful battery life. My old iPhone 5s got better battery life!

2. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

Thanks for checking i don't know why my battery life sucks!!!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I restored
    back up via iTunes!

3. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

So you didn’t set it up as new. You restored your backup via iTunes there’s your problem.

I’d restore it and set it up as new. You should be able to get close to 10 hours of usage.

4. ManuCH macrumors 6502

While I haven't taken screenshots, I can say that my iPhone X has consistently been using 9-10% of battery for every hour of actual usage.

Last night I went to sleep with the following data:
    Usage: 8:22
    Standby: 16:25
    Battery left: 15%

So that was 10.2% per usage hour. It was a bit worse than the other days, because I've given it a massive hit with the new Clips app (those scenes turn the iPhone into a stove!), I've recorded 1080p videos, edited them in iMovie and I've played with an AR app to place pumpkins around my house (don't ask...).

So usually, when I don't do all those things, after 8 hours of usage I will be at around 28%. My main drivers are Telegram, Tweetbot, Spark, Facebook and Safari. For Tweetbot and Telegram I also have background app refresh enabled, disabled it for all other apps.

Oh, and I didn't set it up as new. I've been restoring from iTunes backup for the last 5 years or so.

All in all, my battery life is slightly worse than on the 8 Plus, but still pretty high up there. I'm satisfied.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

My battery life is groovy, baby, yea. I'm really diggin' it.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It’s ok, but clearly not as long lasting as my 7 Plus was.

Last night I felt that dreaded realisation that my phone might not last until I got home for the first time in years. I managed to find a charger so I kept it topped up, but with my Plus phones, I genuinely never had to worry about it.

7. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

So I might try setting up as new, but is there a way to sync phone contacts easily in iTunes or something?

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Your contacts etc can sync over iCloud.

9. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

What were your most used apps

10. thekayman macrumors 6502

Spectacular. I usually finish the day with >66% left on ~5 hours of usage.

11. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

did you set it up as new?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    I wish there was a way to sync messages/iMessages via icloud

12. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

After 4 hours later just set my iPhone up as new! Let’s see how the battery improves!

13. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65832

chfilm

same here :(

14. pachuco4life macrumors newbie

Safari, Facebook and music

15. jyyz macrumors regular

Mine wasn’t great. After 11.1.1 it is significantly better. There have also been a bunch of app updates, so that may be helping as well. I was really concerned about the battery in the beginning. Feel a lot better about it now.

16. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Dstopsie

Battery lasts better than my 7+ ever did. Very very pleased with my Iphone X!!

17. FriendlyMackle, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

FriendlyMackle macrumors 6502

FriendlyMackle

**UPDATE: 11/11/17 @ 7:23pm (that's 19:23 to you on the 'old' continent)**
    I followed the instructions to edit my new phone's backup and insert the old phone's SMS folder/attachments into the new backup - and then successfully transferred my entire SMS history with attachments (3+ years) to my new iPhone X (this is done using 'restore' to install the edited backup to the target phone). This worked beautifully!

*Original post below*

There's no way to directly sync messages from an old phone to a new phone.

But -- I have encountered two different software solutions that should enable such a transfer.

I purchased the first one (iMazing -- disregard the dumb name...it is fantastic for its purpose) in order to handle my iphone/ipad backups, restores, etc. After I purchased it, I realized that there was no 'one-click' solution to moving messages from my old 6SPlus to my new X. So...I searched (google) and came up with the steps needed to do this (straight from the developer).

I am in the process now of preparing both phones with backups before I attempt the move/copy of my old messages/history to my new phone.

Today, though, I read of another software (Decipher Tools - Activity Transfer) that DOES have a one-click solution to moving messages and health/activity to a new phone - but nothing else. I am not going to spend another $30...so I'm using what I've already bought.

I will let you all know if it works later.

18. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

How did u do that? Using what program?

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I find that it takes a new iPhone about a week of charge/discharge cycles before it reaches its full potential.

My X was getting about 6-7 hours initially. But now I’m seeing much better times. This most recent one:

Usage: 8.30
    Standby: 12.15
    Remaining power: 20%

I’ll grab a screenshot...

21. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

9% left.

Facebook, texting, AirPlayed 3 HRs of Pandora to Apple TV. Yahtzee.

Attached Files:

22. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

That’s horrible man

23. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

Ok my battery life has been approved after setting the phone as new but I miss my messages and pictures! Going to set it up as iCloud now...

24. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

My X lasts me thru the day. Usually have around 30% by 7 pm or so. I had switched to a darker wallpaper last night and have observed slightly better battery life than when I was using a brighter wallpaper.