iPhone X How’s your battery life on X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Nov 7, 2017.

1. acmfaxxe, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

acmfaxxe macrumors member

Thats true. Also it is a huge difference between using WLAN and mobile data (edge, 3G or LTE).

2. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Actually my own battery has gotten worn in and feels pretty decent now, even compared to the 7+. But I've also incorporated an inductive charging pad onto my work desk and just keep giving the phone little bits of juice every now and then. I find this really a great new feature to extend the battery life substantially without you noticing you're even charging.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Battery is no problem. Seems to be as good as my past iPhones, if not better.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That's actually remarkable how much you use the Kindle on your phone. Do you not get distracted by all of the other things on your phone?

5. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Battery life is very good.

I left our holiday home in Fremantle WA at around 1300h on Friday fully charged.

Visited our family in Coogee, then a flight at 22:50h. Before then browse the internet, return rental car, took some photos in the pool. Checked in with the airline. More photos at the airport. Listened to music whilst waiting.

Flight was 11h to Qatar. Listened to music and played a few games. Took my charging cable but didn’t use it, and then I left it on the plane :(

At Doha we had 3h to kill, before our flight to London commenced at 8:00h. Made some further social media posts and browsed some internet. Also checked in on our transfer flight.

Then a further 7h to fly to London. Listened to more music and played some more games.

Landed at Heathrow, called our taxi company. Changed the heating at home to warm up our house. More social media posts and check emails etc whilst in the taxi home.

Arrived home at 13:00 and still had 28% battery left. To say I’m very pleased with my X battery life is an understatement.

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Usage: 5 hours 52 minutes
    Standby: 25 hours 14 minutes

63% remaining

Excellent!

7. andrewface macrumors 6502

andrewface

My iPhone X battery was amazing until just recently. The only condition that has changed is that I purchased a wireless charger - Belkin 5watt one. Now my phone seems to be draining very quickly. The Battery screen says the following:

Time since last charge
    Usage: 5 Hours 48 Mins
    Standby: 5 Hours 48 Mins
    Battery: 30%

Shouldn't the standby and usage numbers be different? Is it possible my phone isn't standing by or something?

8. mrgeekguymd macrumors member

Currently 8hr 36 min of usage and the same of standby and I'm at 60%. I've been up since 8 am, it's now 6:46pm. I've watched an epsiode on Hulu, listened to music for 2 or so hours, browsed a bunch of Instagram, have all apps running notifications etc. I love it! Definitely much better battery life than my 7.

9. macsforever macrumors regular

macsforever

What do you expect? If you watch YouTube you’ll kill it anyone knows that but most people make $$ with their smart devices and they last longer than doing things you should do at home... off work!

10. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Absolutely horrible. Been having random drainage overnight. Have an appointment for Friday... so let’s see. Fi what happens. First image was one the the incidents. Second and Third images are another incident. Battery Coconut shoes 100% battery wear level.
    51752AA0-26C5-40DE-AED6-A75BDB53064F.png 2D2E3679-C1E5-4BFF-BC2E-1611A22FFAD2.png C9421B52-C83C-4CD6-BBEC-CB6D18114530.png

11. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

12. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

New to this discussion, haven't read all 680 posts here so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm wondering about the accuracy of the battery remaining % and the usage time since last full charge under settings > battery.

It's common to look at these two numbers and infer something about battery life.

For example, if your battery is at 50% and your usage stats shows 5 hours of use, then it seems reasonable to expect around 10 hours of battery life before you hit 0%.

Since iOS 11 came out, my battery life has been highly variable, so with each new build or each new beta, I look at the % remaining and usage time numbers carefully in hopes of seeing whether there's an improvement.

But I'm not sure if either number is accurate.

With all iPhones I've had over the past 8 years, I seem to get much more actual use time between 100% and 50% than between 50% and 0%. In other words, the battery appears to drain much faster when the % remaining is low than when it's high. That suggests that the % indicator is biased toward making you think you have more battery power remaining than you really do until the battery has a small amount of charge remaining.

I have tried resetting the battery life indicator by letting the phone battery drain to zero, fully recharging while powered down, and repeating. This doesn't seem to make a difference to the battery % remaining indicator, in my case.

Also, I'm not sure the usage time number is accurate. Sometimes it reports more usage time than I know I've actually used the phone. Background activity probably accounts for some of the difference.

Most of you folks are better informed than me; I'd be grateful for any insights you have about this.

13. SBruv, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

SBruv macrumors 6502

B91AC018-6D68-46D2-B75A-B78A773F9417.jpeg 4E9DC7C6-1B0C-46A1-8CA3-52E955B55612.jpeg Here’s a weird thing: my Standby and Usage are the same. And they’re both rising in tandem.

Anyone know what that’s about?

EDIT: Found the many other posts about this issue - ignore me!

14. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

A lot of my reading is from 8PM-2AM and so I don't get a lot of texts and notifications to bother me. If I read on my Kindle Paperwhite during the day, my phone still makes noise and vibrates when I get a notification or text, so it's just as distracting as if I were reading on the phone.

I use nightshift to alter the iPhone screen colors from 10PM - 8AM, so my "whites" on the screen are warmer and more yellow, so with a black background and "white" text it's not fatiguing. I do prefer to use the Kindle Paperwhite during the day, but the blue backlight is more irritating when reading in the evening.

Most days I only get about 2-3 hours of eBook reading done, but I've been known to stretch it to 8 hours, and I can't go 8 hours on a Kindle unless it's in the sunlight without backlight on. I'd read on my iPad like my wife does, but the Kindle is smaller and lighter and has less eye strain.

15. Coconut_one macrumors member

Getting great battery life on my iPhone X all done on 4G only no wi-fi loving abusing unlimited data on three UK
    Battery from 100% to 5%
    Usage 10 hrs, 23 min
    Standby 73 hrs, 12 min

Watched seven 45 minutes Netflix episodes on 4G
    Listened to Tuneinradio for 3 Hours and the rest on web surfing.

Great battery on 4G probably due to me having full reception bars.

16. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I've noticed this and it's a common speculation. My car is the same way. I get amazing mpg from full to half tank, then it plummets.

If I fully charge my 8 plus, I can easily get 30m of usage before it hits 99%. Obviously the phone is "cheating" on the numbers, because if you really could get 30 minutes per 1%, that is 3,000 minutes.

You notice this a lot in YouTube battery drain tests. The iPhones are neck and neck with Android phones, then from 50 or 40% and down they fall like crazy. This is something I realize, so I always try to keep my phone above 40% in case I'm going to be away from a charger for an extended period. No idea why apple does it, but it's probably so people see 100% for the maximum amount of time. Same reason they list usage instead of Screen On Time like Android. You may see 10h usage and feel like it's amazing, but 3-4h of that could be music playing with the screen off.

17. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Or backgorund tasks going with screen off. Usage in the iOS battery app is not indicative of true usage.

18. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

That's one thing Android nails is giving you the info on screen on time and what really happened to your battery. Too bad most Android phones get laughable standby drain.

19. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Yeah, Apple nails standby time on the iPhone. I think standby time has gotten better with Android, it's especially better on my Pixel 2 then previous Android phone I used, but Apple is the standby time king.

20. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Which misleads people into thinking battery life is better than it is. My s8+ was better in use than my 8 plus is, but standby drain means I end with more battery per day on my 8 plus than Samsung.

21. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

and that's what I'm noticing with my Pixel 2 XL vs the iPhone X I had.

22. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

My Phone is charging overnight and at 7am when I wake it is 100%.

I go all day and at midnight when I go to bed it has been between 80% and 90%

23. Jackietran123 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2018 ---
    How bad was your battery before deleting the app? I only get 5-6 hours of usage and it also gets very hot. How much did it improve the battery life and does it get warm anymore?

24. wba1990 macrumors regular

wba1990

My first day with the X yesterday, was disappointed in the battery tbh, though I may have been using the phone too much with it being new etc
    Usage: 5 hrs, 17 mins
    Standby: 18 hrs, 22 mins
    30% left

The main reason for standby being so high was due to the phone being at 100% before I went to bed and leaving it like that dropped about 3% during the night

I’ve also not been closing apps down when not in use like I used to so not sure if thats played a part

25. freakomac macrumors regular

You are on track for 7-8 hr usage, which seems par.