How’s your battery life on X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

It just died. 7am to ~10:45pm.

2. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502

HeadphoneAddict

That's not bad from 7:00AM - 10:45PM, and using it for over half the time that it was unplugged, before it died. I'd personally like to see about 10 hours of actual on-screen use in a 15-18 hour day and it would be perfect.

For me, while testing how long I could stretch my battery, in a 13 hour day I used it for about 1.5 hours of on screen but it showed 4 hours of usage with 65% left. I did all my Siri and iMessage and notifications on my AW S3 with the AW S3 LTE at 80% left now.

Meanwhile my 7+ has been mostly untouched over 13 hours of Standby, and it shows 2.5 hours of usage with 80% battery remaining (6 pics, checked mail once, 1-2 imessage, and that's all).

I did 4 hours of FaceTime audio on my iPad mini 4 with the screen on a lot of that time, surfed the web for a couple of hours, and checked my email 10-15 times, and still had 50% battery left after 12 hours. That's the kind of battery life I want for my iPhone.

3. mazdamiata210 Suspended

I have a strange feeling that people with crazy high usage numbers have a bug happening which is increasing their usage times even when the phone is locked and not being used. There is no way that you're on 7-8 hours usage at 60%... It's not possible no matter what you're doing, with everything turned off and brightness all the way down.

4. santela macrumors regular

I'm having troubles believing those numbers too. I had 8 hours of usage time yesterday and the phone was down to 5% or sth.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Mine has been phenomenal.

If you’re at a desk for any period of our workday I recommend a Qi chrging stand. Just drop the phone on it and it gives you some juice with the added bonus of allowing Face ID to see that lovely smile!

Even in days that I don’t have much time at my desk I get home with 40% or more in it. I will note that I got used to nursing andnikd 6s plus battery. I plugged that thing in every chance I got. Now I could go without but wireless is so convenient that it’s just second nature at this point.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Stream music and your usage goes up. You could stream (or play local) music for days.

6. Nisaja macrumors 6502

My 7 Plus used to get around 10.5 hours of usage on iOS 10. With iOS 11, the max would be 8 hours. It really sucks because that extra 2 hours can be the difference between making it home or being stranded. I’ve tried everything. Even did a DFU restore and set it up as new. Still not getting 10 hours.

My 8 Plus lasts 10.5 hours on iOS 11, or in other words, about the same as my 7 Plus was when it was on iOS 10

I’m very disappointed.

7. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

8. santela macrumors regular

That's not terrible depends on how you are using it.

9. mazdamiata210 Suspended

Same, I had to struggle to push 8 hours and I have location off, brightness down, LTE off, and I was on wifi 95% of the time.
    I know that, I'm not talking about streaming music. When I tell people who are showing 8 hours of use with 50% left that they probably had audio driving up their times they say no and I'm crazy... But everyone else is only getting half of that battery

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see. That wasn’t clear in your statement that I quoted. Sorry for the confusion.
    I suppose a bug is possible o neither side of the fence.

On my Apple Watch once I paired with the X I started getting horrible battery life. I’m talking less than a day when before I could do 2-3 days on one charge. I read up on it and a restore and repairing seemed to fix the issue. So I did it and I am back to charging the watch every three days.

Right now on the x in at 4 hr 27 minutes of usage and 7 hours of standby with 62% left. Standby seems a little lower than it should be based on how long it’s been off charger but I can believe the usage time.

11. Federer2017 macrumors newbie

Federer2017

Next 100% – 0% (iPhone shutdown) cycle:

Usage Time: 8h 50m
    Standby Time: 24h

- WiFi on (80% of the time used)
    - LTE on (20%)
    - Location service on
    - Auto Brightness on
    - Paired with Apple Watch S3
    - AirPods connected for about 30 minutes (phone call)

Apps with highest battery consumption:

- Safari 22%
    - YouTube 15%
    - Twitter 15%
    - Messages 15%
    - Facebook 7%
    - WhatsApp 5%

I‘m a little confused how the background activity works. I have background activity turned on, but only 4 apps are allowed to use it and e.g. YouTube/Facebook/Twitter isn‘t one of them but in this battery settings it says „YouTube 15% background activity“, „Facebook 7% , Background activity“ ...

Before i got my 8 Plus, this usage and standby times would be fine for me, but after using the 8 Plus for 3 weeks and getting used to it’s incredible battery life and after reading that there a people here, which get the same incredible battery life with the X I am wondering what to do.

Maybe i will reset the iPhone with DFU Mode and try it again with restoring my backup, if this doesn‘t work, i‘ll try it without the backup. This step is not only driven by my thoughts about the battery, but also i‘m sometimes not happy with the performance. Sometimes there is a little lag and it’s not smooth, sometimes the WiFi performance is really bad, especially here at MacRumors safari needs up to 10 sec to load the page entirely.

12. mazdamiata210 Suspended

That is the first time I saw someone be honest about their battery life lol. About 8 hours is all you can expect from the X... Although you can turn off background app refresh without any real difference as far as app functionality goes.

13. crawltochina macrumors member

This is Mr battery from yesterday. Battery was at 1% at this time. What do you think?

Attached Files:

14. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

8 hours usage during the day...how the hell do people find time to actively use a phone for 8 hours in one day?! lol If my phone ever gets to less than 70% by the end of the day, that's been a busy phone day. I don't live my live on social media and other rubbish though.

15. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I could not be more pleased atm. My 7+ would need charging at the end of every day before I went to ios11 but this thing has not been charged for ages it seems.

Attached Files:

16. Nisaja macrumors 6502

You don’t need to restore it in DFU mode. Just restore it and set it up as new. Backups can contain corrupt files that kill battery life. Setting it up as new gives you a clean phone with nothing on it. Whatever battery life you get after setting it up as new, is the best you’ll ever get. If you’re still getting the same battery life, then that’s as good as it gets.

17. Nisaja macrumors 6502

You mean AFTER you updated to iOS 11.

Updating to iOS 11 killed my 7 Plus’s battery.

18. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

19. mazdamiata210 Suspended

[​IMG]

Bet you wish you had this though.

20. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Yes, on iOS10 it would last a day, after I went to iOS it would last a day.

21. Nisaja macrumors 6502

So your 7 Plus didn't lose a bit of its battery life when you updated to iOS 11?

22. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

HAHA, sorry typing to fast before I jumped up from my desk.

iOS it would last a day, iOS 11 it would not last a day :)

23. Nisaja macrumors 6502

Lol that’s what I was thinking. My phone would last for 10+ hours on iOS 10. With iOS 11, I’m lucky if I get 8.

So your iPhone X is better than what your 7 Plus got when it was on iOS 10?

24. mazdamiata210 Suspended

Coming from a 2 year old 6S+ on 10.3.3 the X would only last about 8 hours, my Plus lasts 10-12 hours no problem. I actually used the X less intensely because I knew it'd be dead.

25. Nisaja macrumors 6502

Did you have a 7 Plus or an 8 Plus? How does the X compare to them?