How’s your battery life on X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Yes sir, absolutely at this time it is much better. My phone usage has not changed and i do not need to charge every night now.

2. mazdamiata210 Suspended

The same... The 7+ will last 10-12 hours and the 8+ will do 14+ depending on what you're doing. The X no matter what I did to try to optimize my battery (lower brightness, turn off settings like location, bluetooth, etc) would only do about 8.5 hours MAX and be dead before the end of the day. I never ever had to worry about charging a Plus.

3. Nisaja macrumors 6502

You got 10-12 hours on the 7+ before updating to iOS 11, or after? I could get close to that on iOS 10, but not on 11.

Maybe you should try restoring your X and setting it up as new. Restoring from a backup can carry over corrupt data.

4. mazdamiata210 Suspended

On 10... 11 sucks, especially on the 7 for some reason. My guess is the CPU isn't as optimized since it's their first quad core design.

I setup all my phones as new. I don't even have back ups enabled because it's never a good thing when you restore a backup. Every major OS release (9.0 to 10.0, 10 to 11, etc...) I do a full DFU restore.

Even had Apple do multiple hardware and battery diagnostic tests. They all came back fine. The phone just can not last more than 8 hours of actual use.

Now you will see people posting crazy numbers like 12+ hours but I can almost 110% guarantee those numbers are because of music play back which will artificially inflate usage times even though music playback uses little to no battery life. Which is why Apple claims 60+ hours of music playback on the X and on devices with headphone jacks you can do 80+ hours of music playback.

5. Nisaja macrumors 6502

So you're saying your 8 Plus gets better battery life than your 7 Plus got while it was on iOS 10? Thats something!

Kudos for setting them up as new. Even I set all my devices up as new. I want them performing at their best. Can't take any chances.

Yeah I agree. It has to be due to music playback. TBH only people like you can tell if the X is better or worse than the 8 Plus, because you own both. But what I don't get is, the X beats the 8 Plus in every battery drain test on youtube. What's up with that? Not to mention the few people who upgraded (or downgraded?) to the X that say it lasts longer than the 8 Plus.

6. Lexio macrumors member

Lexio

the same here. I don‘t know what I should do on my iPhone 8-9h/day.

7. DiveKitty, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I don’t live on social media either. I check on our business Facebook page once in a while. I don’t have any other social media.

Don’t forget that “usage” will also include background activity which is not “actively using a phone”.

My typical daily use:

- at the gym (1.5-2 hours - web browsing, Spotify, Netflix, podcasts), or if running outside using something like Runtastic, listening to downloaded music
    - for work (2-6 hours depending - on higher end if out of office as I use it more for quick research, PDFs, Productivity apps, Calendar/scheduling, if I am in office I often am listening to Spotify/music through my workday). My total workdays can be 10-12+ hours so most of my usage is during workday. On weekends I am often working for our business and use iBooks a lot as it is where I store training manuals, etc.
    - commuting (Spotify/music, podcasts)
    - bit of web browsing in evening (catching up on news, forums, etc).
    - add some messages, emails, or actually using phone to talk to people through the day, as well!

It is not hard to get to 8 hours usage if you stream music or something much of workday, or use your phone for work purposes too as basically a small computer device.

8. oliverjwhitt macrumors newbie

oliverjwhitt

AMAZING, currently 10:59pm and my X is sitting on 16%, constant use all day since around 8am. So far I'm pretty impressed !

Attached Files:

9. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

In which case even a laptop may not necessarily last all day if it was used for work and playing music and video all day. So, quite why people complain that their pocket computer can't last all day is beyond me.

10. Joseph H macrumors 6502

My Photos have not finished scanning faces, so I’m not 100% sure the background processes are all done.

That being said, the battery life seems to be improving each day.

Today I’ve had 5h standby and 2.5h usage and am on 81%.

11. mazdamiata210 Suspended

From what I found after 80% it tanks hard.

12. playtillyadrop macrumors member

For People getting bad battery life. Even after setting up as new your phone is still doing a lot stuff in the background. Like if you have a lot of photos, the app will scan through all pictures that are in the cloud and tag them. Have you turned off app background refresh for your unused apps, also may want to turn off facebook app. If you go to settings-> privacy->location services->make sure the apps are on only while using. Under the same heading Click on System Services and try turning off Location Based Alerts, Location Based Ads, Location Based Suggestiions, Wifi-Calling, Signatificant Locations off, iphone analytics off, popular near me off. That is what i have been using and i'm getting great standy bye time and usage. I typically spend most of my time in safari and facebook with about 1hr30min music. By 50% typically at 6hrs:30min usuage. Hope this helps.

13. mazdamiata210 Suspended

Did all that with 0 apps installed besides the stock ones as per Apple's request... Still only got 8 hours usage.

14. Geezy2 macrumors newbie

Geezy2

I’m consistently getting 7.5 hours. Been actively monitoring everyday. Still don’t understand how people are saying 10+ hours.

15. playtillyadrop, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

playtillyadrop macrumors member

I'm assuming you've set up as new. What app/s are using the most battery life. It could be due to weak signal as well. If carrier has wifi calling try turning that on.

16. Nisaja macrumors 6502

What I don’t get is, why is the X beating the 8 Plus in every battery test on YouTube? Those are heavy tests. They die around 5 hours. The X gets around an hour of usage time more. That translates to roughly 2 hours of extra usage when using the phone normally (around 10 hours).

Even Apple says the 8 Plus lasts longer than the X. So what’s with the crazy battery test results?

17. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

I came from a 6s so what I’m getting is triple anything I had or more lol :p

18. mazdamiata210 Suspended

Airplane mode on and wifi calling, I'm sitting next to my router... Even if signal was the issue, I use my Plus in the same spot that I used the X so it's no excuse. As I've said before, I used the X less with less apps, even no apps, because I knew it'd be dead before the end of the day. 7-8 hours is the max usage you can get from an X... Not 7-8 hours off the charger, but in the usage stats under battery.

The battery tests are stressing the CPU to the max, the X throttles due to heat and the Plus has more room for the CPU to cool so it stays at it's full speeds thus dying faster. In normal use though (who watches 3 hours of youtube videos at once?) the X dies significantly faster.

19. irobots macrumors member

Turning off background refresh and no Facebook app makes it way better

20. Nisaja macrumors 6502

Well that sucks. There was another speed test done by a guy called Shevon and even he said the X was overheating.

I’ve noticed that watching videos on the YouTube app makes the phone very warm. If I watch YouTube on safari, it’s a lot better. There’s some bug in the YouTube app that’s using a lot of CPU power.

But then again, I watched multiple speed tests, and I noticed how the 8 Plus lost its charge with each app. It wasn’t linear. It lost more power than the X even when just refreshing Instagram or playing music for 1 hour. Not just YouTube. I don’t get why though. The X can’t be throttling the CPU while playing music, or refreshing instagram.

21. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

People are cheating! People who are getting 7+ hours of battery life are using low mode you can easily add 2-3 hours! If you use that feature!

22. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

fantastic for me, but I don't use it a TON like some people. It's way better than my 5s thats for sure though hah.

23. mazdamiata210 Suspended

GO TO 4:12

Wait... What? You mean I was right?! Wow crazy. I know what I'm talking about. Huh. What a shocker. /s

24. Federer2017 macrumors newbie

Federer2017

At the Moment at 4% battery. Turned on low Power Mode at 20%.

Attached Files:

25. Theyayarealivin macrumors regular

What do you guys think? Is this good battery life? Please let me know!

Attached Files: