How A New Gun Law Might Have Legalized Gay Marriage In Nebraska

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://m.newnownext.com/how-a-new-gun-law-might-have-legalized-gay-marriage-in-nebraska/02/2015/

Congrats Nebraska.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As Omaha is my hometown, I still get a daily subscription to the Omaha World-Herald, which runs the omaha.com site. From that, here's the article that was printed in the evening edition:

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislatu...cle_ec438da2-9d0f-54ff-a8cc-9491e4564730.html

Thoughts: this is limited in scope, and VERY limited at that. This would be limited to the armed forces, which the only military installations in Nebraska are Offutt AFB, and the Nebraska ANG. For anyone else to possibly be affected, they'd have to be a resident of Nebraska and serving in the military, based at a base of operations outside the state. To be honest, that doesn't leave that many people.

So while the unicameral is wetting their pants about what they think they may have done, they aren't realizing how limited in scope they have made this. In other words, you aren't going to see droves of GLBTQ in Nebraska rushing to join the military so they can get married and have their marriages recognized.

BL.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Wait!!!

If the Second Amendment is sex blind and color blind does that mean I can Marry one of my Firearms?

Where is the underwear guy, this would truly make me an ammosexual!

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your gun isn't male nor female. Though the way you glorify them, you do sound like it would be a suitable mate for you. Have at it, and make sure you post the pictures from your drive thru wedding in Vegas. :eek:

BL.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

9 mm female
    .45 male :p
    it opens up the door to cry discrimination & thus have it passed:D

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nebraska, IIRC, already has a case pending, and hasn't gone through the state Supreme Court, pending SCOTUS taking up the conflict from the 5th Circuit.

BL.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that case can use this law to make it legal across the board. IMHO anyways.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No, it actually, couldn't. From your post and from omaha.com:

you'd have to be a spouse of someone serving or who had served in the military and receiving benefits through said spouse to qualify for this. That doesn't leave room for many people, or the droves that they are fearing would have to be recognized.

BL.