How about a driving tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 26, 2011.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So when everyone buys hybrids and the gas tax revenue dries up we will be forced to pay for how far we drive.
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/index...-recommends-taxing-drivers-for-miles-traveled

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not just have high fuel taxes ala Europe?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

In CT we are taxed I believe 50 cents on every gallon. The problem is that as gas prices rise people buy less of it and the taxes dry up.

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This.

If you do a mileage-based tax, it seems like there will need to be a way to log and report miles traveled. The report seems to address a couple of ways of doing this, but they are both systems which are additive to all of our existing tolls, taxes, and metering. Why not just increase the federal taxes on gas and use the existing "metering" we have... the gas pump.

Seems like if the mileage tax is successful at one of its apparent goals - reducing unnecessary trips - mileage traveled will also go down, drying up taxes. What's the diff? In either case, less gas used or less miles traveled, the burden on the infrastructure is reduced, so in theory less taxes are needed, anyway.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It stands to reason that people would drive less. So the projected mileage tax revenue wouldn't be what they say and the already in-place gasoline tax would be less useful because people are driving less. Privacy issues aside, this is a dumb idea. Politically speaking you're not going to win many hearts and minds by taxing the lower and middle classes like this.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually given people are still driving with the oil price rises oil use isn't that elastic...

I'm sure the British government gets far more per capita from 'gas tax' than the US does, probably more overall too.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

http://www.connecticutgasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

According to this its 25 cents per gallon of gas, with an additional 5% sales tax....:confused:

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought it was higher than that.
    http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/17.html

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

A gas tax is the way to go for most of the country, but I do believe that in some urban areas, a mileage tax may work. London's congestion charge was effective in reducing gridlock there.

Insurance rates based on mileage driven are also gaining traction.

One thing is for sure, the highway lobby is spending way more money than is available from gas taxes. It's time to rein them in. Most importantly, it's time to stop allowing housing developments to spring up without transit links.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

For a short while, maybe a year or so, and the effect was pronounced, for those of us who use London buses. The mayor rolled it back from the central/western areas recently and long-term impact studies seem a little scarce in terms of car driver numbers. The carrot was also introducing cheaper bus and tube fares by means of the Oyster Card, a card with an RFID chip in it to speed passenger boarding with pre-paid tickets.

Using a bus in the UK, or London at least, doesn't quite have the same stigma it seems to have with some people in the US... although the distances involved are probably shorter than perhaps the average US commute.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This question is always asked on Canadian vehicle insurance applications, but everyone lies.

Same thing with the "do you use your vehicle to drive to and from work"?

Lies, all lies. ;)

But, I do favour users fees.

If gas taxes don't cover that in the age of the electric car, then we have GPS in cars to record, and report when prompted, mileage driven.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

NYC and San Francisco have toyed with the ideas but so far nothing has come of it. It takes a strong political will to make it happen I'm sure. In the end though, I can hardly see any other viable options for large cities.

Of course, the same happens here and there's no way of verifying the facts. However, I'm sure there are statistics out there that tell us if people who drive lots, whether for commuting or for work, are more liable to have insurance claims.

Some companies have introduced "black boxes" for cars in return for lower rates. ZipCar has them on their rental cars and they know exactly when and where anyone is and how much they've driven them and how fast, etc. Such a device is the only realistic way of measuring usage but it will inevitably lead to loss of privacy.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

How about a breathing tax, somebody's gotta pay for all that CO2, right?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The only city I've ever been to which isn't congested is Singapore - and they have excellent public transport, very wide roads, very high taxes on car ownership (this gives some idea) and road pricing in the centre.

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Let's tax blinking, too... That's a waste of energy.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get real. Lots of countries have high taxes on car ownership or on fuel - noone has a "breathing tax".

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

How about no driving tax. How about we tax people appropriately and get rid of crap like business tax incentives and farm subsidies since they're only ever abused by people that 'play the game'.

Why should we be screwing over regular people so much.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The Euro tax bit accomplishes something, look at their cars. How many land-yachts do you see rolling about over there?

That said, we do have a gas tax, but as mentioned earlier - it's obscured by the price of oil to the point we no longer feel it. Perhaps we should bring back the sting. Before doing that, I'd say to lean out and make DPW a hell of a lot more efficient at doing their jobs, before giving them any more $.

I think it was Japan that taxed cars based on the engine displacement - I believe that would be worth considering here. For anyone who "needs" a big engine - and 98% of you who claim you do - actually do not. But for those who insist - should have a commercial-type registration. (like we currently do with large work vehicles) That said - we were lax, stupid or I don't know what - but allowed 4 ton vehicles to be called passenger cars, and now every 90 pound soccer mom drives a Superduty pickup because it makes them feel safe... :rolleyes:

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

How about if we just spend less and not raise more taxes?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And cut what?

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Medicare fraud
    Defense spending
    Reducing the ridiculous layers of federal, state and local government
    Corporate and farm subsidies
    Welfare fraud

That's a good start.

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Do you not have Road Tax on your cars?

To use a car in the UK, (unless it's a classic car made before 1972 I think), you have to keep it taxed. It's £105/6 months for my car, which has a 2litre engine.

25. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Here in the UK the amount of tax is based upon the CO2 emissions from a car, so larger engines generally incur a higher penalty. However, if you are insistent on buying a large expensive 4x4 for example, I don't think the amount of tax is really going to put you off.

I pay £125 per year for a 2.0 litre TDI