How about an amazon phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pear21, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Now with amazon releasing a bunch of new kindles, how long do you guys think it will be for amazon to enter the phone market?

I personally think they might have something next year.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Amazon came out with way too many different tablet models. Also, if you like a cheap feeling plastic device, an Amazon phone may be the way to go.

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Giant logo in a terrible font with ads running on the lock screen? No thanks.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't really see the incentive for amazon to create a phone. I just don't think their tweaked OS is conducive for a phone, and I don't really think it promotes their services enough. I think the tablet is right for them, but I can see how they would feel pressure to just throw a phone out there to complete the "ecosystem" even though it doesn't really make much sense

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Amazon has a very nice tablet option to the iPad. I don't see them selling a phone though because they don't have a market model to support its form of sales. The Kindle sells fine (and is darn good) because Amazon intends for it as a media device that is subsidized via book sales and other consumed media.

An Amazon phone would have to follow same logic. Something Google and Apple have dominated. Although using Google as an excuse would be, well pointless.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I completely agree with this. I cannot think of a real reason why Amazon would need to put resources into making a phone when they make more money from their services than from their hardware anyway. If they were releasing a phone, it would be more of a "look, I can make a phone too!" than an innovation.

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Maybe a TV more likely, that...I can imagine.

8. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Im sorry, but there won't come a day where I'll line up to buy a new kindle fire. no thanks.
    If I had a choice, I would pick the Nexus 7 anytime over the Kindles, budget wise. And then of course the iPad over the Nexus 7 if I had the money.

9. M87 macrumors 65816

Amazon should stick to ebook readers. $199 for a 7-inch tablet with ads, underwhelming specs, and an old/skinned to hell version of Android? Who in their right mind would choose that over a Nexus 7? Maybe if it were $99, maybe. I can't imagine their phone will be any less of a joke.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.