How about an iNote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell1975, Mar 25, 2012.

1. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

With all the recent talks about people wanting a bigger iPhone and people wanting a smaller iPad, what if Apple delivered something for both, the iNote. Give it a 5 inch screen with Retina. Either that or they could make a new 4 inch iPhone, make the iNote a 7 inch and then you would still have the iPad. You would have all sizes covered. I really think Apple would see huge sales from an iDevice in the 5-7 inch range that was priced between an iPhone and an iPad. Would you buy one?

2. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Yes! I started a thread that there should be more than 1 sized iphone but people didn't really like it lol

I think to cover all sizes and keep the production of apps in tact they should double the screen sizes.

iPhone - 3.5"

iPhone XL - 4.85"

iPad mini - 7"

iPad - 9.7"

Or something along those lines

3. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that may be too many models but you never know. They do have 11, 13, 15 and 17 inch laptops.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think Apple wants to tread carefully in how many units they release. In the above scenario, which unit would be the "true successor" to the 4S? This is something that a lot of Android phones are actually criticized for. Variants of the same exact phone are often released, confusing consumers as to "which is better". It may be a no-brainer to enthusiasts (if you are reading this that is likely you), but the average customer remains confused. In fact, if you have a look at some of the videos made about the new iPad, there are bundles of people confused about that product too. Remember, Apple's success stems very much from their marketing prowess. One can make fantastic hardware and software, but if it is marketed improperly i twill not be a success.

5. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I say they make the successor to the 4s the iPhone 5 or the "new iPhone" and they give it a 4 inch screen. People who want a smaller screen can still buy the 4 or 4s. As I mentioned in another thread, you can keep the same size as the current iPhone, just remove the physical home button. You don't need one, make it gesture based like the iPad and use that extra space to increase the size of the display. Then the iNote can fall in between the new iPhone and the iPad, both in size and price, somewhere between 5-7 inches. It would be a massive hit with gamers let alone all of the people longing for a smaller iPad but something larger than the iPhone. I think the Kindle Fire's sales have proved there is a market for a 7 inch device. Granted, the $200 price tag have helped it but Apple can price an iNote device right around that, maybe $250 and people would snap that up in a second IMO.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Problem here becomes aspect ratio. You get a stretched screen, which is probably good for some things, like web browsing, but terrible for others, like watching video.

7. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well good, make it even a bit longer then and make it a 16:9 720p display :) 4:3 aspect ratio went out years ago when everything started going HD.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'd be ok with a 16:9 display. Not sure how everyone else (especially Apple) might feel though. Phone might feel a bit lanky, too.

10. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, they will have to do something at some point. They can't keep this design forever. Tech is evolving at record rates and a 3.5 inch 4:3 display is 5 year old tech. Apple prides themselves on being innovative, time to prove it once again.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The thing holding them back the most, I think, is the appstore. Can you imagine launching a device that isn't compatible with any apps day one?

12. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They were able to launch the iPad with what? 100k apps? It can be done.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes, and they exactly doubled the resolution of the iPhone to make it happen. The new ipad had exactly double the resolution of the previous version for the same reason. Basically no scaling involved. There is no other reason to give the ipad the ridiculous resolution that it currently has, if you think about it. Read into it, if you like. :)

14. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Currently there is:

iPad, iPhone 3gs, 4 and a 4S

The line up would be much better if there were two ipads of different sizes and two Iphones or different sizes. Still maintaining that 4 product lineup.

The reason why i doubt they will remove the physical key is because of the patent drawings they release. They all have a circle home button. I think it might be there to stay....even though it can be improved with all that space on the left and right of the button being wasted. Not very efficient

There laptops are 4:3 and so is the iPad. I'm not sure if that will change .. the whole line up needs an overhaul then.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Agreed. Hence why, as much as I hope we see a significantly larger screen, I am not sure sure it's going to happen. Apple boxed themselves in on this one.

16. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

ahh yes, I see what your saying. A 4.5" 4:3 will defo be un-usable with 1 hand.

I like how Sony makes there handset fairly narrow, its much more ergonomic. I can use a sony 4.2" phone Easily with 1 hand.

Still hoping on a 5" though! I'd like a mini-computer please :apple:

17. mykem macrumors regular

The iPhone has the screen ratio of 3:2 not 4:3.

The screen resolution is 960x640- if you divide 960 by 640 the answer is 1.5 which is the same as 3/2 whereas a 4:3 screen or dividing 4 to 3 is 1.33. The iPad which has the screen resolution of 1024x768 is 4:3.

18. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

I think (and I hope) the upcoming release would have 2 sizes:

1) iphone 4/4S - 3.5"
    2) iphone 5 - 4.3-4.5"

want smaller/cheaper phone? get the 4, want the next superphone? get the 5.

19. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I cannot understand why everyone thinks the iPhone has a 4:3 display. It's not. All iPhone have had 3:2 displays, which is the standard for sensors in photography.

3:2 like 16:10, is perfect for viewing both fullscreen content as well as widescreen content with a balance of black bars to maintain the aspect ratio. If you so wish to fill the screen, you cut out the minimum viewing area.

20. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

And the 3gs could stop being produced as well. But the question will then be, how long will the 3.5 4S be around?

I'm talking about having two phones with the latest tech.

21. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Serious question because i'm seriously stupid and don't know if this would work: increasing the screen size raises concerns about still being "retina" quality. If the size increased but resolution didn't, well it wouldn't be retina. But if they increased resolution, then app developers would have to cater to yet another resolution making it another transition we have to deal with.

Would we be able to take the old iPad resolution and make that be for the iPhone 2012, so we keep "retina" ppi while not having to change around app resolutions? Couldn't the new iPhone just load up the iPad resolution icons and graphics or is there some kind of aspect ratio/compatibility issue we'd get from this?

My theory in the end: they won't change the screen at all. Or if they do, it won't be size of resolution but some other color enhancements or tech

22. mbell1975, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. The previous iPads were 1024x768 which is right about what the new iPhone should run. 1280x720 would be dreaming too much haha

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Too much fragmentation.

The future for Apple (excluding desktops):

MBA- 11, 13, 15
    MBP- 13, 15, 17

iPhone- 3.5
    iPad- 9.7

Simple, straightforward, gives that consumer and pro line on the laptops, and keeps iApp development straightforward.

24. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not going to happen. 3.5 inch displays were nice 5 years ago and Apple prides themselves on being innovative. They no longer dominate smartphone sales. They can no longer afford to just get by with putting out the same product year after year. Competition (mostly Android) has caught and passed them. Its going to change very soon.

25. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

That resolution is being run on 4.3" phone and 4.5" phones. It is not a problem tech wise...not sure what apples thinking.

Which one is apples best seller?

Of course they have to broaden their product range!!