How About Some Thermo-Nuclear War?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 17, 2017.

?

How do you feel about the use of nuclear weapons?

Poll closed Tuesday at 7:53 AM.
  1. Never ever.

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. Never first, but second.

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Preventative, stop the crazies before they hurt someone.

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. A great way to economize warfare

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. We got'm, why can't we use'm?

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Huntn, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

[​IMG]

I'm regarding this as a philosophical discussion. As you know during the campaign, President Trump floated the last idea in the poll.

Links:

Regarding N.Korea how do you feel about this country having nuclear weapons, and perfecting missiles that could deliver these weapons to their neighbors or even the opposite side of the world?

Why should countries like N.Korea and Iran not be allowed to defend themselves as we, and all of those in the nuclear club do? (for discussion)

Should a preventative conventional weapon strike be conducted against N. Korea to stymie their nuclear ambitions? What if this triggers a renewed conflict between North and South Korea, dragging the U.S. and possibly other major countries into the conflict?

My opinion is that if Trump authorizes a conventional strike and North Korea backs down, he will be a macho hero. However if it triggers a renewed conflict between North and South Korea, and a nuclear bomb happens to go off in Seoul, vaporizing a portion of the 30k U.S. troops in S.Korea, I predict he'll be vilified as a dangerous idiot.

You may not know that in 1969, speculated to be in honor of Kim II-Sung's birthday, a pair of North Korean Mig 21s shot down a U.S. Navy EC-121 reconnaissance, electronic warfare aircraft in International Airspace off the coast of Korea. In official statements, they viewed the U.S. as imperial aggressors. Surprising or not, the U.S. wanted no part of war with N. Korea in 1969, and did not retaliate. However, this illustrated that North Korea was irratic and aggressive. Now that was 48 years ago. Is North Korea still this dangerous?

I am of the opinion that Pandora's box has been opened, and that at a minimum, it will be very difficult to control who gets the capability. But that countries who seem to be involved in regional conflicts should be hindered as much as reasonablepy possible from gaining the capability. Yes, an intentionally vague statement. :p

The problem is that because we are humans, the more countries who acquire nukes and the ability to deliver them, the higher the odds that they will be used.

Regarding the poll as a general standard, I picked never first, but if they are used, second would depend on the circumstances and the spectrum of the attack. I don't really want us to be part of or be responsible for Armageddon.

Update: Considering the morality of (possibly) snuffing the planet, and my last statement above, I changed my vote.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Just go for some tic tac toe, number of players: zero.

Thermonuclear war prevented.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Please clarify.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not sure of the right approach with North Korea.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I hate that we have nukes. But since we do we need to do everything we can to keep them out of the hands of rogue states that want to use them (I'm looking at you Iran).

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't think North Korea will do anything. North Korea is just China's junk yard dog. When China wants to intimidate the US they yank on North Korea's chain to make it go ballistic.

8. Huntn, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Spectrum of everything? Thrown out for consideration: The idea of becoming the monster, you are trying to destroy.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Great input, insightful, moral, and Ghia can handle it, even as you are trying to be a comedian. :rolleyes:

9. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

You haven't seen War Games?

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I did but had forgotten. :p

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We are already the monster. You still think of us as the good guys while we prop up dictators & murder 1000's of civilians looking for "terrorist" we created and armed , our nice little piece of heaven is going to come crashing down sooner or later. Could be a nuke or we could cannabilise each other when our propped up economy finally takes a dump.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there is the ping pong thing again.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

only in your mind........see above.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually I think of us as relatively good guys who have made, pragmatic, but bad human decisions and I've acknowledged it repeatedly. Btw, how do you feels about Muslim jihadists?

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't think we are at risk of becoming the monster we wish to destroy. I don't think we have ever said "when we get the bomb we will wipe Israel off the map (paraphrased)". Obviously if we keep electing the wrong people we could get to that point. Thats why I support term limits for all of Congress and I support Congress voting on nearly all acts of war. Trump and Hillary were exactly the wrong people to elect. Hilary was a crazy war monger and Trump is too stupid and overwhelmed to lead effectively. He is being advised by some very hawkish people.
    Take em out. They wish to only bring death and destruction. Take em out.

16. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

If China weren't backing N.Korea they would be the next dictatorship to go, however they are, so there is not much that cane done. War with NK = war with China.

17. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

North Korea and Iran have openly stated that they wish to obliterate another sovereign country (US and Israel respectively). It's in no ones interest to allow those two counties to become nuclear powers. It's sort of like gun laws in the US. You can own one as long as you're not mentally unstable or menacing.

Admittedly, I have no clue on what the best course is to stop them.

Absolutely they are. I've seen nothing that would have changed since then and that wasn't the last time North Korea has been an aggressor.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/...ire.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

your not getting it you keep going back and forth. even if joking how is anyone going to know what is the truth?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

one nations terrorist is another's freedom fighter.
    we have a nation of safe space needing man bun/fake beard/skinny jean wearing questionable "males" and when things get hard it's not going to be pretty.
    most people saw American Sniper & cheered because we are the good guys, overlooking our "good" guy was breaking & entering into people's homes & holding them hostage to catch the "bad guys". relative good guys? nope, that ship sailed long time ago my friend. we are happy to make up "evidence" to justify war.:(
    I can be like you and just say I was being sarcastic if they did not understand the post.....;)

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The question as always is how to best handle North Korea. I hope China uses it's influence as the regional heavy weight.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we should try what we should do in the M-E, let's leave them ALONE. give that a try.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Summing up a bad situation with the possible upside of the wholesale killing of large numbers of human beings can only be regarded as the darkest of humor, and not even funny.

23. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It's best to let China deal with them.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you don't learn from our mistakes, here.
    our FP has ****ed up things just about everywhere, WHY the **** should ANYTHING be done about NK? here you are going to threaten a man for basically flipping you off and happens to be no real threat to the U.S. he is just another moron raising his tiny fist to the sky looking for attention and we are gullible enough to answer :rolleyes:

let me rephrase things for you a bit.
    the level of stupid in America is too damn high, continuing down this path will result in a trim in population, one way or another. just pointing it out.

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Can I assume that means you don't believe in alliances and that your philosophy is that countries should be willing to take the nuclear hit first? ...not judgmental. My general position is that a preemptive nuclear strike (using a nuke) is unacceptable, and that a conventional strike could trigger serious a serious escalation and possibly nuclear consequences. This could be an argument for let them have their missiles and take the chance by using other methods to pressure them.
    Wrong, I acknowledged our mistakes. I can still think of us as good, but misguided guys. ;) The ability to vaporize Seoul in a suicidal act has to be considered.