How about special/limited edition colors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think it would be fun for apple to do little mini releases off of the launch cycle with very limited editions of colors. Perhaps say 1 million total in the whole world or even less. For example, a limited edition orange 5C "Halloween edition." Or a brushed nickel 5S, etc.

To get them, no preorders, no online orders. You'd have to be lucky enough to stop into an apple store at the right time of a specific day and ask if they have any. No predictability whatsoever. And the customer has the choice to buy it or not. If not, that phone is not available until the next predetermined day.

Or tell me this is a stupid idea? :)

2. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

It's not stupid but given it's apple it won't happen. They've done special editions of product in the past with the iPod Video U2 edition. I personally like your nickel idea.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I like the concept of more options for customers but I feel they would be so rare it would cause a mad panic to try and get them so you could sell it on eBay for major cash.

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Highly unlikely for the iPhone. For the iPod, maybe... but I heavily doubt that Apple will do it.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

People would probably kill each other trying to get one. Wouldn't be good press for Apple.

6. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

At this point, I halfway think gold counts as a special/limited edition. :)

7. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

This.

I was surprised that gold was chosen at all tbh - it only lasted for one generation when it was an iPod mini option.

With a lot of people seeming to take Space Grey over their first choice of Gold, I can see its popularity being heavily understated by the actual sales figures. I think Apple should also take into consideration how many gold are returned vs the other colours.

8. Pearphone5 macrumors newbie

Matte black iphone 5s please! Any matte color actually.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Imagine all the complaints of people feeling entitled and cant wait another week.

1 Mio is not Special to me. Somewhere in the hundreds would be rare. All signed or scuffed by Tim Cook himself.

11. KaijuRed macrumors regular

would love a product red 5S... If they do it right, it'll look real nice.

12. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Special editions are usually tacky ways to try boost sales (which Apple doesn't need). The (RED) iPods are the only exception because it's pretty much the only charity Apple supports publicly.

I could see a (RED) 5C. That's about it.

13. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

A real RED (like the 5s leather case) 5c would be awesome but unlikely because it would be too similar to the coral red one already available.
    A red 5s would be subject to scratching similar to the 5 black.

Maybe another metal for the back, like titanium or magnesium.

Or a real RED 5s in the plastic shell of the 5c, that would be real nice. White front of course, to distinguish it more from the 5c and ToucID + red ring. I coul imagine several people - me included - rebuying.

14. Aye macrumors regular

Jony: wtf Each iPhone color being released is special/limited.

:p

15. dlondon macrumors regular

If they were limited, they'd be expensive (or would end up on eBay for an even higher price) and if you have that kinda money, you might as well do Colorware.

16. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'd love this.