How about this idea to get a cheaper iPhone if your upgrade date is early July...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adster, Jun 16, 2009.

1. adster macrumors regular

So I was thinking about this earlier, and it seems like an interesting plan. I know there's a few threads on how to do this already, but another idea won't hurt.

I'm on a Family Plan. My full upgrade date is 7/13/09. What if I purchase a 3G S as an Upgrade Swap for a new line of service (essentially costing me $9.99/mo). Cancel that line within the 30 days and pay only for service used. By that time, 7/13 would have come and passed and my main line would be eligible for a full upgrade. Not saying I'm actually going to do this, but it was just an idea.

I also realize that I'm going to get the normal crop of people "just wait it out" ... "i don't understand why you're complaining about the price" yadda yadda yadda. Your opinions are noted, but this thread isn't for you. Thanks though.

So, any thoughts on this idea?

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Why can't you just wait 3 weeks?

3. adster thread starter macrumors regular

Aaahhh. Shall I point this out? :rolleyes:

Like I said, your opinion is noted :)

4. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

AT&T would still charge you for the full, unsubsidized price of the iPhone when you canceled the new line, not just charge you for the service used.

5. adster thread starter macrumors regular

They won't charge you if you return the equipment. No?

6. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like it would work. You can return within the first 30 days I believe so you are in that window. Just a hassle to do all that IMHO.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not wait instead of going through all of that hassle. Seems silly and pointless. Patience is a virtual and there's really little reason to go through the hassle.

8. natasha69 macrumors 6502

just go into the ATT store. they'll move the date up for you. they want the commission!!

9. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

LOL!!! Don't you mean "patience is a virtue?" If you are going to school somebody, at least be sure that you know what you are talking about!

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Cooler phrase... If you are going to school someone make sure you went to school yourself.:cool:

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Isn't this the second time you have used the line "patience is a virtual"?

And I agree with others, just wait. Sure it would likely work, but I fail to see the benefit besides getting your hands on a phone for 3 weeks the having to give it back. I think AT&T makes you pay a restocking fee on the iPhone as well.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not intentionally either time, besides who cares? I didn't think I lived an exciting life for people to count the number of times I'm using a phrase?

13. sms0217ny macrumors regular

Wait it out buddy. When you walk into the store on the 13th of July you won't have to wait on pre orders, or people in line, or tracking down UPS deliverymen about the where your phone is, you should be able to walk in and just pick one up.

14. smswetz macrumors newbie

You're using the wrong phrase..it's virtue, not virtual.