How America Lost The Civil War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Renzatic, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It was written over year ago, but thanks to recent events, is even more relevant than it was when it was written.

Some of it might be hyperbole, but the guy does a good job of sourcing his claims, and makes a solid argument that we're still fighting through Reconstruction even now.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Excellent read!

I can't say I agree with some of his claims and conclusions, but at least this is a thought provoking article. I will be reading up on some of the thhings he mentioned and follow his sources.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Great article.

I got the idea that after you win a war, you had better make sure that the resentful loser doesn't get a chance to rewrite history.
    From history Germany 1918-1933, Iraq 2003-????

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A lesson the US learned with respect to Germany and Japan, but Dubya somehow seemed to miss the memo.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's an
    interesting argument.

I'm not sure though that this battle is still being waged by Southern planters. Rather, it seems, that the fight has been taken up by a coalition of quite disparate groups: Oil and gas oligarchs like the Kochs and gambling billionaires like Trump and Adelson; the media interests of News Corporation (Fox; Wall Street Journal); the middle-market business owners of the Chamber of Commerce; and a variety of Evangelical Christian conservatives; combined with the machinery of the Republican Party at pretty much every level - all designed to seize and assert power through a combination of dog-whistle racism and social and economic fear-mongering.

I think you can make a very strong argument that racism - in one form or another - has been underlying power of the Republican Party at least since Richard Nixon's "Southern Strategy" of the late 1960s. It found its greatest success in the personae of Ronald Reagan's Cadillac-driving welfare queens and G.H.W. Bush's Willie Horton. The second President Bush switched his aim, in the wake of 9/11, to a shadowy Arab "Islamofascism" - and now, amidst the debris of the two failed wars that resulted - the Republicans are moving back to surer homegrown bogeymen ("thugs"; "low-information voters"; millionaire rap artists) to stoke their fires of racial hatred and division.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A fascinating and thought provoking read. Thank you for posting it.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It was his daddy taught him how to do that: refer to Charlie Wilson's War.

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

You do realize that one of the Koch brothers actually ran against Reagan's ticket in 1980? It's all a very deep conspiracy, I'm sure, like Benghazi, no doubt.

The link in the OP also is very invested in demonizing all his political opponents as racists. How tiresome.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm quite certain that many (most?) Republicans are not ipso facto racists.

However, I think it is more than plausible that Republicans have utilized the inherent racist fears and insecurities of middle- and lower-class white people to, in essence, vote against their own interests.

What is most of the antipathy towards the Affordable Care Act all about?

On the face of it, its absurd. 99% of Americans won't pay a penny more in taxes for it. Many of the same people who will be its beneficiaries poll strongly against it?

Why?

Because its much easier to get people riled up over the prospect of someone they don't think deserving getting Government benefits.

Look at Reagan's famous "Welfare Queen" - driving her Cadillacs. But who, in reality, are the biggest thieves when it comes to Government benefits: 243 Medical professionals (Doctors, Nurses, pharmacists, and others) charged in a $700 million Medicaid fraud.

It'd much easier to get poor and middle-class white people in Arizona and Kentucky riled up over an African-American woman in a fur coat and Coupe de Ville (who maybe ripped off taxpayers for a few thousand dollars) than it is to get them to understand how white people in white coats stole the best part of a billion dollars.