How an Alt-Right Bot Network Took Down Al Franken

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 19, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Now this doesn't excuse what he did. But if you want to talk about influence...

Fascinating to see how this developed and went viral.

http://www.newsweek.com/alt-right-trump-franken-mueller-twitter-810355

White nationalist provocateurs, a pair of fake news sites, an army of Twitter bots and other cyber tricks helped derail Democratic Senator Al Franken last year, new research shows.

While everyone has been focused on Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election to support Donald Trump, the Franken takedown originated in—and was propelled by—a strategic online campaign with digital tentacles reaching to, of all places, Japan. Analysts have now mapped out how Hooters pinup girl and lad-mag model Leeann Tweeden's initial accusation against Franken became effective propaganda after right-wing black ops master Roger Stone first hinted at the allegation.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The democrats in the senate took him down. The fact that she was a "Hooters pinup girl" and a lad-mag model are irrelevant and a way to make her issue less credible by indirectly attacking her character because of her past employment.

3. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Oh, the Irony. When O'Rielly got canned for the sexual harassment, I bet Franken celebrated with joy, probably threw a party, then shortly after down he goes down as well. Karma has it's ways.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I thought it was grabbing someone's boobs on camera that did him in.

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

That begs the question, did the the Alt-Left bots take down O'Rielly?

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

In your efforts to be absent 3, you've 6 missed the entire point. Blind hate can do that. Try looking at the bigger picture.

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Franken screwed up and has no one to blame but himself.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Never said Franken was in the right. But if you don't look at how this went down and aren't concerned.. Well, I guess that says a lot.

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

Senate Dems took down Franken. Why do we bother to vote? An ethics investigation was the way to deal with Franken.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So Franken did something inappropriate and other people shared it. So what?

You know what says a lot? Your language in the OP. "pin up girl" "lad mag model" "digital tentacles" "effective propaganda" are all very perjorative. Somehow, if it was a Republican senator that did this I doubt you would use this language or even care.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not my language.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then perhaps you should make that a little clearer in your OP.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A bot didn’t take down Franken. It was standards. Trump can promote every wife beater and pedophile he wants.. we stand with women and victims. His best hope is to bring up Bill Clinton. He cared in 2016, but now he has amnesia.

It’s not because he’s accused of assault or sleeping with other women. Couldn’t be. Must be MUH RUSSIA.

15. BoxerGT2.5, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

1. It's hard to club the GOP during the Roy Moore fiasco when you have photographic evidence of Franken sexually assaulting a woman sleeping.
    2. An ethics investigation in Washington is the politicians way of saying "we're handling it" while hoping people stop watching and they can sweep it under the rug.

One of the biggest detriments to the #metoo movement at the time was not holding your friends accountable, no matter how nice they are and no matter how remorseful they appear to be. Simply holding a ethics investigation that concludes Franken acted in poor taste and needs to attend classes isn't going to cut it. The fact that we're at a point in time in our society that there are even classes that teach you not to grab a woman jugs when she's sleeping or that there are people who need to attend such classes shouldn't give anyone optimism for civilization as we know it.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

Keep believing in it... should also help take down one of the worst harassers, adulterers, and alleged child rapists in US history... Donald Trump.
    Come on Karma, don’t let us down!

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So did these bots spread fake news or true information?

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

The photo was Frankenstein clowning around. He was not touching.

Roy Moore was accused of child molestation. Very different. There were other issues with Moore.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

So essentially it's saying that bots basically spread the story to the masses? I don't see the problem.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    ^^ this.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If you read the article, it's obvious. And if you didn't, then maybe you should.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

“Clowning around” is merely an interpretation of what you see in that photo, it doesn’t mean it’s accurate and it doesn’t excuse it.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's interesting to see the comments in this thread and make it about Al Franken's guilt or innocence. I believe the victims. That wasn't really the issue or point of me starting this thread. It's more about the speed and pointed attack on an individual (warranted or not) and manipulating it to go viral. And we have more details NOW about the incident. But hindsight is 20/20 and what if the allegations were proven to be false?

Other threads have discussed how #metoo has blown up and people are now guilty until proven innocent in many people's lives. I would think those people, at least, would be all over this type of attack/smear campaign.

This could easily have been about any topic - think of the stock market - and the manipulation that could occur.

Like I said - look at the big picture. This has nothing to do with a man's guilt or innocence but the speed and manipulation of opinions.

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It is interesting how information gets around now. It’s so important now for people to know where and how to get information to base their opinions on. My two cents: saying that a bot network took down Al Franken might come off as dismissive in regard to the victims’ claims. I know that’s not your intent, though.

I guess the days of someone leaking a story to the press and the press coordinating their talking points are over. It’s about trending hashtags now.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

You thought wrong, no boobs were grabbed as in actually grabbed, it’s unlikely they were touched, but is hard to tell from the picture. That was an in-bad-taste poise attempting humor.