How apple can solve the apple watch battery issue so you never have to charge again

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TwoBytes, Nov 15, 2016.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Because that would not produce anywhere NEAR the amount of power needed by the :apple:Watch. Analogy: you can't run a refrigerator off a a couple of D batteries. You could only run the refrigerator light.

3. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Oh sure you can (with suitable voltage step-up circuitry). For at least like a couple of seconds. :D

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Tru dat but my beer and ketchup won't be the way I want them.:eek::D

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It'd be cool. Hasn't Seiko already worked with thermoelectric technology? If not Seiko, it was one of the other large wristwatch manufacturers...

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Does the concept even work? I have seen my fair share of kickstarter projects which promised you the moon and then failed miserably to deliver.

I will believe it when I see it, and I have my share of doubts about this indiegogo project.

7. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

Seiko had the old kinetic charging watches. As long as you wore it every few days it never stopped. Citizen has the solar charging ones. Maybe Apple can integrate something into the watch over time. Maybe even into the iPhone.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Again you are trying to run a refrigerator off of a small battery. In order to produce enough kinetic energy to run an :apple:Watch it would probably need to weigh a a pound or so and be the size of an iPad mini. In order to provide enough solar energy off of available light it would probably take nearly a sq foot of solar panels.

9. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

you can buy a 12v 60watt thermoelctric generator online that is only 40mm x 40mm.

It the future it might be possible to reduce this small enough to work in a watch.

My fiancee can dry wet socks in her hands while talking to neighbors!
    The socks where fresh out washing machine.

She could charge it in about 30 mins I'd guess

10. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

Not for full power, sheesh. I mean as a hybrid to help extend battery life.

11. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Can't easily fit a kinetic system like Seiko's inside a smartwatch:
    [​IMG]

12. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Most people would not move around enough to generate sufficient electricity to power an Apple Watch (remember, it's not just ticking off seconds, it's a tiny computer), much less an iPhone.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sure you can. Just remove the HR sensor, GPS chips, WiFi chips, BT chips, accelerator, mic, speaker, haptic feedback and reduce the battery by about 50%. :eek:

14. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

Too bad mickey's moving foot can't power it :p

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

There was a Kickstarter project (or Indiegogo... whatever, they're all the same anyways) which was hoping to produce a kinetic-type recharging case for the iPhone. I don't think it ever really got rolling because, like you said, it just didn't generate enough energy.

Making the case small enough to be a reasonable size meant making the oscillating weights smaller, too -- which meant that they imparted less energy into the induction coils than if they were larger, heavier weights.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is at least a little more reasonable than the people who think the solution is SOLAR ON THE FACE! Like even covering the entire watch with solar panels would produce enough power to do anything. If you're wearing long sleeves, OOPS. Otherwise, it's like the D cell batteries in a fridge I saw mentioned above.

Numbers matter. There's a lot of processing going on in that watch, and it all uses energy. The future to improvements will be lower-powered components (WiFi, BT, cellular), smart software to minimize use, and likely some sort of wireless charging that could keep your watch boosted if you're at Starbucks, an office, etc. and within maybe 15 feet of a charging station. THAT is the MFing dream.

17. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Agreed. I've heard of a project as well to harness all he frequency waves out there bombarding us from all the transmissions going on, or even leach power from the phone.

75 years ago, a lifetime, no one envisioned any of the power we are using today the way we are using it to power devices that hadn't even been conceived yet.