How Apple Maimed My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeydeezy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Just thought I would share my story from earlier today.

I brought my iPhone in for a home button issue and was well expecting it to be fixed in store. The Genius who came to help me confirmed they did in-store repairs. He grabs my serial and before you know it whisks my phone to the back room. We all know they disappear for what feels like an hour.

Amazingly 2 minutes later he comes out looking concerned eyeballing for his manager. He comes back and says "Hey so our technician opened your iphone but didn't realize there was glass from a previous repair on the desk so he scratched the back of your phone". I turned my phone over and there were 3 gouges in the (black) aluminum. One deep enough where you could feel the rough edges. Two impressions of suction cups still on the screen. He immediately offers a replacement and grabbed his manager.

Anyway I said sure and he grabbed a white box replacement model and sent me on my way. Crazy turn of events but they made it right and my new iphone is great so far.

TL;DR I went to get my home button fixed. They ruined the back and replaced the whole phone

2. GusHerb macrumors member

Sounds like you got a good deal there!

Fortunately you can't even tell they replaced the screen on mine (for a dead pixel) except some scratching of the black on the screws.

Wondering what they will do for a blown earpiece speaker and microphone that barely works while on speakerphone.

3. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I would imagine they wouldn't attempt a repair unless their repair tech is confident they can do the repair in a timely fashion. I can't imagine them treating the iPhone like a Macbook where you just leave it overnight for repair.

Especially since they are filled to the brim with replacement models in all SKUs almost all the time.

As long as they can rule out any water damage you can go ahead and name that new iPhone "Mike". :)

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

They're just people after all.

I brought in my iPhone for a battery replacement. They said it would take about 30 minutes, but I ended up waiting an hour. I asked one of the employees where my phone was, and he came back saying they "put my phone in the back". Like, lol, what? I gave my phone away for battery replacement, like I wouldn't want it back? I still don't understand why they didn't bother to give back the phone.

5. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Lol. I imagine that happens a lot more than we think.

And yeah by no means was I upset. I backup my phone daily so data wasn't an issue. I told him how appreciative that they were honest about their mistake instead of just wiping it down and handing it back.

6. GusHerb macrumors member

They initially said they'd replace just the speaker but came back after the 30 minutes they told us to wait only to find out they had to replace the phone anyway. Wasted a half hour of our time but at least she's got a shiny refurbished (new?) phone.

7. oaktree macrumors regular

I wish you would have chosen a more positive thread title. It gives the haters too much fuel.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

+1. Who cares if they screwed up? If it wasn't for the in-house repair like back in the old days, you would have gotten a white box replacement anyway so don't be so dramatic.