How Apple will make a ton of money on the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Jun 23, 2012.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Was just thinking about this...

I am sure the reason the prices are a bit high even on the base rMBP is due to the SSD and the Display (obviously).

But I think Apple is mostly banking on the SSD and the Display. The most on the prior.

If you look at the SSD market, it's dropping really really fast. They will be able to get it much cheaper from their supplier as the market is saturated with SSDs and lower prices. Apple will keep the pricing of the rMBP's the same for a year until a refresh (mostly CPU/GPU, as usual).

In that time, they will make a ton of cash.

The display pricing will fall much slower as the market demand is not so high.

Super smart move if you ask me. Smart move on "banking on technology".

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Most of your posts I've seen have been anti-Apple, so it is of no surprise to me that this one follows the same theme.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That's what Apple does. Make their profit on the backend when the components become cheaper.

Since they're only 5 days from refreshing inventory they can leverage lower pricing on items that aren't volatile (which in case they negotiate great deals on bulk purchases) and take advantage of lower pricing as it comes.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it's entirely possible that Apple may profit from disparity in SSD pricing, I doubt it's significant compared to the profit from the overall computer. Apple's profit margin is quite high, overall. They would do just fine, even if they make no money on the SSD. They are in the business of making money, as every company is.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

No **** OP. Captain obvious has swooped in to save the day!!

Apple have ALWAYS charged significantly more for components than they are obtained for, and and flash storage has naturally been decreasing in price for years. Everyone knows this.

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Are you kidding me?

How am I anti-Apple? I only use Macs and I bought my whole family iPhones and iPads.

I am just not an Apple evangelist, if that's what you meant.

Also how is this post anti-Apple? I am praising them for being able to come out with a product that is cutting edge and still affordable.

Great reply, mate. You're making yourself look like a jerk one day at a time.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

It is up to the consumer to decide if what they are buying is worth the cost. Right now, it seems for 256GB, you can buy the equivalent Samsung SSD for $300. If in 6 months, that same SSD is $100, then it is up for the consumer to decide on whether the rMBP is a good deal.

That is why I've been hanging on for nearly the past year for Ivy Bridge to come out. I knew once it did, I could either get a better processor or get the same processor for cheaper. If I ended up waiting 6 months to buy the rMBP, I'd probably just wait 6 more months for the next iteration.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If you add the costs of the components in this laptop, even the base model, you will see that the profit margin is not so high at the moment.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have no idea what prices Apple pays. Their margins are historically very high, and I seriously doubt the RMBP is any different.

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You speak as if you're a spokesperson for Apple.

They use standard business practices. Profit is gained at a later date (due to lower prices of parts), not during launch. Same happens in gaming consoles, etc.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does that have to do with anything, except the fact that it indicates I may spend more time reading and learning about these topics than some others?
    You have absolutely no idea when I read them.
    That is completely irrelevant. Apple has historically used some components that aren't used anywhere else in the industry when some products are initially introduced. That doesn't say anything at all about their profit margins.

14. Queen6, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No doubt, then again Apple`s profitability is what helps them produce what they do in an era were many tech companies are losing money. No one else comes close on quality or customer service, and Apple is growing its customer base. I completely agree that Apple is making a very significant profit on all it`s products, yet their are few who can contend, or complain, would you prefer cut cost pricing, and bargin basement systems, mediocre design, and performance I know I wouldn't.

Apple`s "economy of scale" is what makes the difference, and that is why they are frequently first to market, not the technology, the hardware rMBP exemplifies this president.

15. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Come-On, Apple have high profit margins, but who has the best customer support, who spends months even years designing products...

No other company spends more on this than Apple! As always, you get what you pay for :p

----------

I should have read the post above me.. :p