How are iPhones (and iPads) made in the UK different from US iPhones/iPads?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yhellotharsir, Aug 10, 2010.

1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

I mean I know that an iPhone 4 will not "work" in the US because of the different cell frequency or whatever, but other than that, are there any design or spec differences in a US vs. UK iPhone 4?

??? Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

The iPhones are the same, spec wise (they all support the same frequencies, etc). Different chargers in different countries. Phones may be locked to a specific carrier.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

UK and US iPhones are the same. The only difference is that they are both locked to their respective carriers. Once the iPhone has been unlocked they can be used on either side of the pond.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You're not even correct on that one. All iPhones sold to date have been the same no matter where they are bought.

The only real difference you'll see is the power adaptor and of course which carrier(s) the phone is available from/locked to.

5. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Wrong. In the UK if you buy an iPhone from a carrier, it is locked to that specific carrier. If you buy an iPhone from Apple (Retail store/Online) in the UK, then the phone in unlocked and therefore can be used by any carrier not only in the UK but also anywhere in the world that supports GSM.

Apart from this - nothing else is different. The wall charger connector pins only. But if you get an adapter to fit the UK -> US or vice versa it will be fine because even though the voltages are different (110 US / 240 UK) the adapter handles both. So only the physical pin connector to plug it in will be an issue if you bring the US wall adapter (2 pin) to the UK (3 pin) or vice versa.

Also in the UK iPhone box you get the SIM tray removal pin, which was originally not provided in the US boxes (not sure why). I don't know if the US now get the SIM removal tool or its still only UK (and some other countries I presume) that get it.

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think the UK iPhones spell color wrong. Like coulour or something...

:)

7. molala macrumors 6502a

These phones are quad band so they will work in four different GSM frequencies and wherever you bought it, it will work in the US and UK.

Colour :)

8. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

See?! That is what an Oxbridge education gets you :)

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The UK Weather icon shows 23˚ while the US Weather icon shows 73˚

Otherwise they're identical.
    I know, that's set in the Regional Preferences, so they're identical in every way.

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The UK version comes pre-loaded with The Beatles and Radiohead in the iPod.

11. karansaraf macrumors regular

Actually there's a button that lets you switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit.

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

On a somewhat related note, did anyone else notice that the world clock now has UTC?