How are naked black iPhone 5's holding up ~6 months later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jqc, Apr 29, 2013.

1. jqc macrumors regular

Just curious for those who have gone naked with their black iPhone 5s these past 6 or so months, how have the back and edges held up to scratches and dings? please post photos, thanks!

2. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Seen my friends 5's, it is crazy how many problems with edges, they become white. I wonder how black iphone 5 is going to look in 2 years if you used it naked all the time.

That is the reason which I'm waiting for next iphone, hopefully they'll take care of this problem

3. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

I've kept my iPhone 5 without a case for most of the time I've had it (since launch day). I was concerned about the scuffing issue and so I had a case on it for the first month or so. But I decided I liked the look of the naked phone so much that I started going without a case. After 5 or so months going without one, I only have one very small knick on the top edge by the power button. Barely even noticeable. Otherwise it still looks like it did when I took it out of the box.

4. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

Don't have another device to take pics but my black iPhone 5 is mostly naked, I only have a screen protector on it. It looks like it has gone through the struggle.

On the back, the top and bottom glass pieces are cracked. I have huge dents on two corners of the phone because I dropped it a couple times. The whole edge on the back is showing raw metal because I hardly put my phone face down.

Still works perfectly fine.

5. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I had mine for 3 months and got two scratches on the screen you can only see when its turned off and under bright light, and a decent size nick on the bottom near the speaker hole from dropping it off a chair onto wooden floor. Overall looks pretty new unless you looked at the bottom. That phone's gone now, got a new one coming Fedex today so guess it's a fresh start. :D

I go naked at home, and case when I'm out and about.

6. Smartass macrumors 6502a

so to sum it all up:

it looks like crap.

they need to really fix this scuffing issue

7. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

No issues on mine...

I think you people need to be more careful with your gadgets... i have absolute 0 scuffing.

8. itjw, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

itjw macrumors 65816

Flawless. Launch day black 5, and it looks better than my naked 4S did after the same amount of time (maybe I'm more careful with the 5... who knows). Both were used about the same way and were only put in a pouch if I was planning on putting them in a pocket for any length of time.

Despite the trolls who act like the phone falls apart if you breathe on it, the VAST majority of users that go naked (even the ones that I know of, probably 20+ people) have had no issues with it holding up well at ALL.

IF you are the type of person who obssesses about tiny nicks and scuffs you shouldn't be using ANY device naked anyway, but if you do go naked the black 5 holds up FINE... as long as you aren't a moron with caring for it (true of any device).

Funny, after all the launch day hysterics, my resale will be the same as someone who wasted time exchanging dozens of phones, and spent hundreds of dollars on cases "protecting" it. With case cost in mind, I'll come out AHEAD.

Go me ;)

9. Elvergun macrumors 6502

Elvergun

You need to learn how to sum. :rolleyes:

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Mine's getting fairly battered, but I actually like it. Gives it character (in my opinion).

It's gonna look pretty badass by the time I replace it with an iPhone 6.

11. nas2344 macrumors member

12. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Mine looks great....I think. I've had a TPU case on it, 4 seconds after unboxing. Haven't had it off yet.

13. alexander25 macrumors regular

because cell-phone cases SUCK

i saw someone with a really beat up iPhone. it actually looked cool and unique.

14. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thats one way to look at it i guess

15. allthatjazz macrumors regular

haha no, nothing cool or badass about a beat up phone.

16. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

Can you please post some pics of your phone? I'd like to see what your version of flawless means. I think people have different standards so I'm curious.

I have a few Nicks on mine even on the parts covered with a bumper and I don't consider it flawless anymore.

17. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I have a white iPhone so no scuffs (yes yes, I know I'm special). Hubby has a black iPhone with a few nicks at the bottom near the charging port thingy. We both use the Caudabe Veil case which is really thin so it's like not having a case at all but still at least protects from scratches.

18. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

This is my concern precisely.

I've read several recent articles in the media still complaining of this issue and stating that they expect better from a premium product like the iPhone.

I do too having owned the 3G, 3GS & currently the 4S.

The lucky person that I sell my old phone to gets one in pretty much pristine condition thanks to the high build quality of these models. The money I receive more than covers the initial outlay for my new contract phone.

My contract has recently ended and I am on Sim only at the moment until the 5S is released. If this issue has not been addressed with higher quality anodization (perhaps type III) then I'm sadly considering defecting to the HTC One.

I'd rather not . . .

19. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Mine is a release day phone. With the exception of a few hairline scratches on the shiny glass parts of the back it's like new. The black anodized area has held up very well. I'm pleased with how things are going so far.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a release day phone too. But got it replaced in November. The replacement is shown below. Holding up pretty well I think. I'm okay with the scuffing, makes it look like my iPhone and as I usually never sell my phones (I still have my very first 1999 Sanyo model) it's no big deal.

Pics taken with my 3 year old HTC Touch Pro which I still use as a WiFi device.

Attached Files:

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Last two…

Attached Files:

22. yegon macrumors 68020

Tiny dot of silver on back chamfer, only noticable if you look for it.

Naked since launch, I don't baby it. Naked iPhone = awesome in the hand.

23. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Has some nicks on the edges but to be honest, I don't really care or notice anymore.

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got a few friends with the black version and frankly they look terrible. The white version isn't that much better but at least the scuffs don't stand out as much.

I've got the white iPhone in a case and its still pristine.

25. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Mine had a few scuffs on the chamfered edge, but nothing too serious.

I got a replacement yesterday because of dust under the camera lens, so I decided it's probably time to keep it in a case. As much as I don't really want a case, I think it's too fragile not to have one on there.