Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin8

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2014
I'm interested in a MacBook Pro, and was going to get one in the US, when I realised that they are so much cheaper on eBay.
E.g.:
2.3GHz 15" rMPB = £2,199 on Apple store. Or, £1,549 on eBay (link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380935225155 )

That's a saving of £650 for what looks like just a couple of symbol changes on the keyboard (they're US imports). What I don't understand, is, how are these US imports to the UK cheaper than if I were to go buy the equivalent model in the US? Also, these are 'shipped from UK' so there will be no extra customs tax.

I'm really interested in this offer but I'm not sure if this is a scam or not - yes, 2 have already been sold and the seller has over 38k 99% reviews, but this deal seems too good to be true.

Does anyone have experience buying a MacBook new and cheap from eBay?
Would you recommend me doing it?

Thanks a lot!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Probably not a scam but grey market. Apple doesn't allow importation of products from a country to then resell them in another country. This must come from a shady distribution channel Apple is not aware of. Maybe hidden over-production in Chinese factories or something like that. I think the product will be as advertised but just don't be surprised if you have trouble with the warranty.

sirees01

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
I bought a fully specced 15" retina mbp for my son for his birthday from this seller on ebay 4 weeks ago. It is a US model but considering a £700 saving on apple store pricing it's a no brainer to have a US keyboard layout.

It was a perfect transaction,ordered on Thursday evening, delivered an 9am Monday morning. I have no complaints and my son is well happy.

Xirtamj

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
I bought a fully specced 15" retina mbp for my son for his birthday from this seller on ebay 4 weeks ago. It is a US model but considering a £700 saving on apple store pricing it's a no brainer to have a US keyboard layout.

It was a perfect transaction,ordered on Thursday evening, delivered an 9am Monday morning. I have no complaints and my son is well happy.

I noticed the seller as well. Could you tell me whether it is deliverd in the original box? And how about warranty? Were you able to buy ac+ through Apple?

Thanks!

sirees01

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Macbook is sealed in original box as you'd get in an apple store. Seller provides a 3pin UK adapter, works perfectly.

1 year apple warranty supplied, seller also asked if I wanted to buy additional applecare.

i would'nt hesitate buying from them again.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
The linked SKU is $2599 on the US store, which at the current mid market rate (1.7 GBP/USD) is £1528.

The sellers got it up at £1549, but there's eBay fee's, shipping, etc to come out of that. Plus the GBP/USD rate is currently at a high and the seller will never achieve the mid market rate anyway. So clearly its not a straight US import.

I doubt they are smuggled from the factory as another user alluded to. IMO these are likely siphoned from another supply channel/corporate/school/etc deal. Or they're going to be staff discount purchases being sold on.

I've seen it before with other manufacturers, Dell in particular as they have a lot of separate supply channel deals set up with corporates/etc.

IMO you'll be fine purchasing it, highly unlikely Apple would take out any breach of terms of supply on you the end user. They'll just take it up with whoever their client is, to put a stop to future breaches (if they can be bothered).

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say most likely grey market, which bypasses all the tariffs and taxes

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
I bought that same machine off the same seller.
Arrived in 2 days, as expected US spec but works fine over here. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.
There is clearly some way they are getting around it but as far as i'm concerned the item was shipped from London so there was no danger of customs fees and ive checked the warranty etc and its all totally valid.
All I will say is be sure to make an offer, he will haggle. Think I got to about £1470 or so.

Some will be sceptical but tbh its such a good saving and if it means i'm getting one over on hmrc ii some way or another, well great thats a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.