How are the iPhone 5S speakers compared to the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 25, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

2. SlowCarBoost macrumors member

I haven't tried it yet with music but what I do notice is that it's quieter and more muffled on the high end. I was going back and forth with alert tones and my 5 is both louder and more crisp in regards to the high end than my 5s. Does anyone else notice this?

3. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I was told that the iphone 5 are better and more durable than the iphone 5s by a Verizon employee.

4. Exio macrumors regular

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The speakers on my 5s seem a bit louder than those on my 5. I'm also hearing more detail in my personal alert and ringtones.

6. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah... cause that's the best, most reliable source of information around. :rolleyes:

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

8. thecurryman macrumors 6502

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Let me guess. They had some iPhone 5 stock they were trying to get rid of.

A pile of iPhone 5 in the stockroom and only a handful of 5s coming in each day.

I can't see why on earth they would try to make the 5 look better.

10. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

11. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

12. chraos macrumors member

Most high-end monitor speakers have a break-in period where the tightly seated cone needs to be played for many hours to loosen up which equates more air being pushed/higher decibel levels....not familiar with the exact design of the 5/5S speaker but I do remember feeling like the sounds got better over the course of a few weeks when I first got my 5...probably all in my head considering how small these speakers are and their design..but maybe there is something to it

13. madKIR macrumors 6502

It's irrelevant. I went through multiple iPhone 5 exchanges and each one was different in terms of sound. Apple uses multiple suppliers, so I bet it's the same suppliers for the 5S this time around.
    It means some iPhone 5's might be better than some 5S's and vica versa.

14. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

It could be that the ringtones have been updated to sound better/clearer in iOS7. I know that the standard tones on my iPhone 5 sound way better than they did before, especially the mail swoosh sound.

15. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Actually you are quite right, iOS 7 does in fact have remastered "classic" ringtones.

16. protobiont macrumors 6502a

The employee was probably referring to this article.

Which is just a publicity stunt by squaretrade. I'm sure they tested the 100's if not thousands of phones required to get an adequate sample size, and then reported the average result...

17. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

One of the feature on the 5 was its 5 magnet speaker. I'd assume the same setup still exists within the 5s.

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Had a Samsung Galaxy 2, and the sound/ring tone level was really low, and I sent it back some time ago. iPhone 5s was better, but for my aging ears, it was still some what low for me, but OK in my judgement. Have a dumb phone from Samsung (flip phone - convoy 2) and boy that was so loud I had to turn the ring tone down a good bit. Wonder why that is, and why did these two smartphones seem less so ? Even with doing some adjustments in the accessibility area with the iphone 5s, it could be much better. Just my thoughts from a 68 yr old. ;)

19. SlowCarBoost macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing. I also agree that they're all different. I've exchanged iPhones many times and the speakers vary in volume and sound quality.