How are they able to re-install the water proofing in store if you need a screen replacement?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Is it done by machine from factory and wouldn’t that be more reliable tho
[doublepost=1511394452][/doublepost]I mean this seems more critical than tightening a screw or something

All that being said I know Apple has figured it out I’m sure but still I was jw

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
[doublepost=1511394452][/doublepost]I mean this seems more critical than tightening a screw or something

Mostly all Apple stores have a machine on site for applying the gasket, according to my friend who is a sales manager. Some small stores don’t have it but they send it out and it’s usually a 1-2 day turnaround.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Mostly all Apple stores have a machine on site for applying the gasket, according to my friend who is a sales manager. Some small stores don’t have it but they send it out and it’s usually a 1-2 day turnaround.
Yeah, it's a sticky gasket that seals the phone. When opening the phone it must be scraped off in places where it stuck. It's applied kind of like a screen protector with a peel off plastic cover.

Reactions: apolloa

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Not a bad question actually. I’ve never seen these magical machines that seem to be able to repair iPhones so easily. The tear down videos I’ve seen have been very sloppy that often results in damage.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2015
The performance properties of these adhesive gaskets are so critical and are used on so many of their products that I'm now wondering if other makers use the same materials or does Apple have its own specs the supplier must follow.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Waterproofing ? No. Water RESISTANT!!

Huge difference. I wish people would stop using the “waterproof” phrase.
The majority appear to know the difference, it's just easily misconstrued when they inadvertently say what they are thinking. It happens quite frequently on a tech forum.

Reactions: KONVICTED

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
The majority appear to know the difference, it's just easily misconstrued when they inadvertently say what they are thinking. It happens quite frequently on a tech forum.
Usually happens by less tech savvy people (which is perfectly ok) though and others (even less tech inclined) may read it and assume “waterproof” and play submarine with it. Seems unbelievable but there are many people on some of the forums that I visit that take their phones swimming with them and not just in a pool but also the ocean. Also others use their phones to take underwater pics and vids. Of course those are the same ones who get their pants all twisted up when the phone dies and warranty is denied because of water damage.
Too many people read and then actually believe “waterproof”. :p

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
Like if you crack your screen and go to the genius bar
Ya they must have a precision machine to automatically remove and reinstall it perfectly.

I’m guessing of course but I had my iPhone 7 Plus lens replaced because it had a weird shadow. Prior to this I washed my phone lol and took it in the shower to watch videos while showering (true story).

Anyway I still do the above and no issues with the seal after the fix. I won’t trust myself to open up iPhones anymore after this water seal feature. I’ve replaced batteries in iPhone 4-6 with no issues but not anymore with the 7 and above.
[doublepost=1511427822][/doublepost]
Usually happens by less tech savvy people (which is perfectly ok) though and others (even less tech inclined) may read it and assume “waterproof” and play submarine with it. Seems unbelievable but there are many people on some of the forums that I visit that take their phones swimming with them and not just in a pool but also the ocean. Also others use their phones to take underwater pics and vids. Of course those are the same ones who get their pants all twisted up when the phone dies and warranty is denied because of water damage.
Too many people read and then actually believe “waterproof”. :p
Well f it. I took my 7 Plus I the ocean last yr during my vacation and will take my 8plus again when I’m staying in a small little island in Cambodia this December. Yolo.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Have you damaged your screen or is this hypothetical?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
^ Right, Apple employees are trained to replace the water seal/gasket/adhesives On an iPhone and it will not compromise your water resistance if your phone is opened for repair, it’s restored back to factory condition. If anyone was concerned, you can ask an Apple and they will ensure that is accurate.