iPhone 6(S)(+) How are those of you with an iPhone 6s or older doing?

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Just got an iPhone XS Max at launch and fully intend to keep this sucker until I can’t stand it anymore. How are those of you in older devices doing?

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Yes iOS 12 and battery was original.
Did you check your battery health? There was the whole “bad battery slowing iPhones down” thing, so I suspect that may have had something to do with it. But either way, congrats on the new upgrade

Reactions: kerplunknet
Comment

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Did you check your battery health? There was the whole “bad battery slowing iPhones down” thing, so I suspect that may have had something to do with it. But either way, congrats on the new upgrade
Health was around 90% needed to upgrade anyway for dual sim. Now I have at&t and Verizon on one phone so hopefully no more dead spots lol.

Comment

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I still have my 3 year old 6s on 12.1.1 as backup to my X and it performs very well. I had the battery replaced a month ago so it should be fine for as long as it’s supported or until I replace my X. Right now it’s basically used as an iPod, when I get my next phone, the X will become my backup.

Comment

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Had a 6s which was actually running fine with iOS 12 (92% battery health) but just upgraded to an 8 and now I kind of regret it because the 8 feels like I’m using the same phone (although the battery life is a bit better).

Reactions: MacFather
Comment

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
Use a 6s as my main phone flawlessly. It is on iOS 9. Performance is absolutely outstanding, battery life is like-new. I couldn't care less about the newer models. I really like it.
I'm also have a 5c as a backup phone. That one is on iOS 9. Performance is... Standard. Battery life is regular when on Wi-Fi and indoors, and horrible when on LTE.
Also, I don't mean to offend, but there are other threads to talk about the newer models. It isn't really about how you don't use the 6s or 6 anymore. We have enough threads already of the new devices, and too few of non-current devices.
My little quirk with this forum is that I would like more discussions about every product and not only the latest ones.
Typically, discussions about the older devices end up being about how you don't use it anymore and how much better the newest devices are. There are plenty of threads discussing that.

Last edited:
Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Just got an iPhone XS Max at launch and fully intend to keep this sucker until I can’t stand it anymore. How are those of you in older devices doing?
iPhone 6s+ 128GB. iOS 9.0.2, jailbroken. 18% battery wear.

3+ years of service so far. Never turned off (meaning I leave it on 24/7 and reboot it when I need to), never had a slow down. I use this phone as a bedside clock every night so the screen is on for that entire time.

Also have an iPhone 5. Been replaced three times, current one is on iOS 10.3.3. Finally, one iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3 and one iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2. The 5, 4s and 4 are all jailbroken.

Reactions: DJ_Smith
Comment

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Just upgraded from my 6 to the Xr. What I size difference! But the amazing battery life of the Xr excuses everything. Send my 6 to Apple for the battery replacement as long as it is possible. Now restored everything, charged it till 50% and switched it off for long term storage (you have to recharge every 6 month). It always good to have a spare phone in case something happens....

Reactions: Ffosse
Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
My little quirk with this forum is that I would like more discussions about every product and not only the latest ones.
Typically, discussions about the older devices end up being about how you don't use it anymore and how much better the newest devices are. There are plenty of threads discussing that.
You don't want to visit the PowerPC Mac forums here on MacRumors then. I mean we discuss Macs from the classics up to early Intel.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

Nah, you don't want to do that… :D

Comment

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
iPhone 6s+ 128GB. iOS 9.0.2, jailbroken. 18% battery wear.

3+ years of service so far. Never turned off, never had a slow down. I use this phone as a bedside clock every night so the screen is on for that entire time.

Also have an iPhone 5. Been replaced three times, current one is on iOS 10.3.3. Finally, one iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3 and one iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2. The 5, 4s and 4 are all jailbroken.
And you are using all of them?

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
And you are using all of them?
6s+ is my primary phone.

5 is my secondary. It's got a 2GB line and I don't use it for calls, except if I ever want to give someone a legit (non-Google Voice) number but don't want them to have my main number. I use it for stuff like CVS Pay, Walmart Pay and security (as in two-factor authentication).

The 4s and the 4 are media devices. Mainly use them at home.

Comment

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
You don't want to visit the PowerPC Mac forums here on MacRumors then. I mean we discuss Macs from the classics up to early Intel.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

Nah, you don't want to do that… :D
I saw that one, it's nice. I guess it's the exception to the rule.
I don't have a PowerPC Mac and never did, I would like, for example, older iOS devices and versions.
The iOS 9 forum is dead, the iPhone and iPad sections discuss the newest devices only. It's kind of useless for the ones who don't have the latest and/or don't upgrade every year.
If on top of that, people with newer devices go into the few threads that do pop-up, then the situation is worse.
The MacBook Pro forum is the same. Kind of makes reading it not worth it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren
Comment

UnLiMiTeD558

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My backup is my 6s plus and it’s on iOS 12.1.1 beta 3, stills runs awesome. I test it before it goes onto my 8plus

Comment

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I was on a 6s plus until yesterday. Ran great after 12. I just got an xs max to hand the 6splus off to the youngest stepson.

Comment

darkmatter343

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have a 6S that's running 12 and smooth as silk, I can see why one would find it hard to upgrade since Apple really boosted the performance of older devices with iOS 12.

Comment

xxray

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2013
My boyfriend has a 6+. It dies and has app crashes multiple times per day, doesn’t work in cold temperatures, and is super slow. He refuses to get rid of it though because it still works and serves him well.

Reactions: Valbunny
Comment

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Well enough it seems, so well it in fact seems to have forced apple to increase trade-in offers to get people to buy new phones.:D

Comment

HarryWild

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2012
Just got around to replace my battery on my Yellow 5C! I use it for knocking around time at the fitness club, shopping and working around the home. I listen to streaming music and cable sport shows mostly. I going to update my screen protector too and change it from film to glass.

I too have the latest and greatest iPhone X’s Max Silver 256GB!

Comment

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
My boyfriend has a 6+. It dies and has app crashes multiple times per day, doesn’t work in cold temperatures, and is super slow. He refuses to get rid of it though because it still works and serves him well.
iPhone 6/6+ was underpowered from the start and wasn’t worth the upgrade from the 5s.. 6s was a big jump in performance and was a much better phone in every way...

Comment

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
6S+ and working like a charm... going to replace the battery though (80% left from the max) and going to keep this until the notch is gone or buying something else.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.