iPhone 6(S)(+) How are those of you with an iPhone 6s or older doing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ghost31, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Just got an iPhone XS Max at launch and fully intend to keep this sucker until I can’t stand it anymore. How are those of you in older devices doing?

2. vietalogy macrumors 6502

I had a 7 and it was slowing down bad and upgraded to Xs.

3. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Did you have iOS 12 loaded up on that thing as well as the battery replaced?

4. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Yes iOS 12 and battery was original.

5. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Did you check your battery health? There was the whole “bad battery slowing iPhones down” thing, so I suspect that may have had something to do with it. But either way, congrats on the new upgrade

6. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Health was around 90% needed to upgrade anyway for dual sim. Now I have at&t and Verizon on one phone so hopefully no more dead spots lol.

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

I still have my 3 year old 6s on 12.1.1 as backup to my X and it performs very well. I had the battery replaced a month ago so it should be fine for as long as it’s supported or until I replace my X. Right now it’s basically used as an iPod, when I get my next phone, the X will become my backup.

8. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Had a 6s which was actually running fine with iOS 12 (92% battery health) but just upgraded to an 8 and now I kind of regret it because the 8 feels like I’m using the same phone (although the battery life is a bit better).

9. FeliApple, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Use a 6s as my main phone flawlessly. It is on iOS 9. Performance is absolutely outstanding, battery life is like-new. I couldn't care less about the newer models. I really like it.
    I'm also have a 5c as a backup phone. That one is on iOS 9. Performance is... Standard. Battery life is regular when on Wi-Fi and indoors, and horrible when on LTE.
    Also, I don't mean to offend, but there are other threads to talk about the newer models. It isn't really about how you don't use the 6s or 6 anymore. We have enough threads already of the new devices, and too few of non-current devices.
    My little quirk with this forum is that I would like more discussions about every product and not only the latest ones.
    Typically, discussions about the older devices end up being about how you don't use it anymore and how much better the newest devices are. There are plenty of threads discussing that.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

iPhone 6s+ 128GB. iOS 9.0.2, jailbroken. 18% battery wear.

3+ years of service so far. Never turned off (meaning I leave it on 24/7 and reboot it when I need to), never had a slow down. I use this phone as a bedside clock every night so the screen is on for that entire time.

Also have an iPhone 5. Been replaced three times, current one is on iOS 10.3.3. Finally, one iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3 and one iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2. The 5, 4s and 4 are all jailbroken.

11. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

Just upgraded from my 6 to the Xr. What I size difference! But the amazing battery life of the Xr excuses everything. Send my 6 to Apple for the battery replacement as long as it is possible. Now restored everything, charged it till 50% and switched it off for long term storage (you have to recharge every 6 month). It always good to have a spare phone in case something happens....

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You don't want to visit the PowerPC Mac forums here on MacRumors then. I mean we discuss Macs from the classics up to early Intel.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

Nah, you don't want to do that… :D

13. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

And you are using all of them?

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

6s+ is my primary phone.

5 is my secondary. It's got a 2GB line and I don't use it for calls, except if I ever want to give someone a legit (non-Google Voice) number but don't want them to have my main number. I use it for stuff like CVS Pay, Walmart Pay and security (as in two-factor authentication).

The 4s and the 4 are media devices. Mainly use them at home.

15. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

SE is the same tech as a 6s. My SE works great. Costed $190 a year or so ago. Worth every penny.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

My 6S is still on iOS 10 last patch update and is still working great. I'll get another four years from this awesome piece of Apple tech at least.

17. FeliApple, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

I saw that one, it's nice. I guess it's the exception to the rule.
    I don't have a PowerPC Mac and never did, I would like, for example, older iOS devices and versions.
    The iOS 9 forum is dead, the iPhone and iPad sections discuss the newest devices only. It's kind of useless for the ones who don't have the latest and/or don't upgrade every year.
    If on top of that, people with newer devices go into the few threads that do pop-up, then the situation is worse.
    The MacBook Pro forum is the same. Kind of makes reading it not worth it at all.

18. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

My backup is my 6s plus and it’s on iOS 12.1.1 beta 3, stills runs awesome. I test it before it goes onto my 8plus

19. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

I was on a 6s plus until yesterday. Ran great after 12. I just got an xs max to hand the 6splus off to the youngest stepson.

20. darkmatter343 macrumors regular

I have a 6S that's running 12 and smooth as silk, I can see why one would find it hard to upgrade since Apple really boosted the performance of older devices with iOS 12.

21. xxray macrumors 6502a

My boyfriend has a 6+. It dies and has app crashes multiple times per day, doesn’t work in cold temperatures, and is super slow. He refuses to get rid of it though because it still works and serves him well.

22. mhdena macrumors 6502

Well enough it seems, so well it in fact seems to have forced apple to increase trade-in offers to get people to buy new phones.:D

23. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Just got around to replace my battery on my Yellow 5C! I use it for knocking around time at the fitness club, shopping and working around the home. I listen to streaming music and cable sport shows mostly. I going to update my screen protector too and change it from film to glass.

I too have the latest and greatest iPhone X’s Max Silver 256GB!

24. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

iPhone 6/6+ was underpowered from the start and wasn’t worth the upgrade from the 5s.. 6s was a big jump in performance and was a much better phone in every way...

25. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

6S+ and working like a charm... going to replace the battery though (80% left from the max) and going to keep this until the notch is gone or buying something else.