How are you managing iCloud storage and Photos in 2019?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sou1 so1di3r, Jun 3, 2019.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

SSIA.... iCloud photos is only taking me so far.

How are you guys managing hard copies of all your photos?

I need an easy way to backup / archive some of my 40GB of iCloud photos to free up space on my account. I have the 50GB iCloud plan. I want to use my old Mac mini as the "server" and have all originals go there, and then replicated to my 4TB time machine backup.

If I try to turn on iCloud storage and download originals to this Mac, it wants me to buy more iCloud storage.

Any ideas?

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I came from Google Photos. Loving iCloud Photos. I've got 136 GB, over 70,000 videos and photos. The ability to take a photo, have it instantly available on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone is amazing. My Mac backs it up to external media ... beautiful.

I pay for the 2TB because my family utilize more than 200+ GB including my 136 GB photos. I wish I didn't have to pay this, but it's not bad.

------------------

To answer your question, just move the photos library to your external drive, let it download what it needs, then remove from iCloud storage? That's what I would do if I wasn't willing to pay the $9.99/mo for 2TB.

3. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm happy paying $1 a month for 50GB but I would rather self-manage past that point.

So you think if I pay for 200GB for one month, have my old Mac Mini download ALL originals, then move to external, I would be good to go?

Will that transfer all my videos too?

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Yeah if they're stored in iCloud. That's how I'd do it if I wasn't going to use iCloud storage space and wanted to get all my data out of iCloud.

5. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I setup a new library on my MacBook Pro and had it download ALL originals. It looks right as I now have 45GB of photos on here.

What is the best way to "clear" space from iCloud photos but still use them for new photos?

I guess I need to change the setting back on my MacBook to turn OFF iCloud photos, then start deleting the oldest photos first (manully, on iCloud.com?)

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

What I did in the past was just delete the photos in iCloud Storage on your iPhone. Once you do this, it puts them in a temporary "30 day" trash --- you can delete again to remove them permanently. Then turn it back on. I haven't done this recently so it may have changed last time I did this (a few years ago).