How Are You With Adapting to Change of Plans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xsedrinam, Nov 9, 2007.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I heard an approaching plane come in for a landing in rain and went out on the terraza to watch an Airbus de Iberia with 333 passengers come in fast. It apparently blew tires, had reverse engine trouble and overshot the runway and is now buried wheel deep in mud on the side of the pista.

Good news: No one was seriously hurt.
    Bad news: They've closed the airport for 48 hours (go figure).
    Good news: I don't have to get up at 3 a.m. to make today's flight.
    Bad news: My flight's cancelled.
    Good news: Platnum Desk got me on the next flight out.
    Bad news: It's now Monday.
    Good news: Looks like I'll make my connection to Mexico out of MIA on Tuesday.
    Bad news: My wife flies in from Bolivia to meet me in MIA today, and I won't be there.
    Good news: I made reservations for hotel and car for Sat.-Mon.
    Bad news: My wife has to go it, alone.

How are you at handling change of travel plans at the last minute?

Attached Files:

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

What? You want me to go out there and keep your wife company?

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Change of plans that I can do nothing about - I just shrug and try to make the best of it. Getting upset won't help the situation (see London fog last Xmas) :rolleyes:

Plans that change because I screw up - same thing.

Plans that change because others let me down - get pissed and don't organise stuff with them again.

This does suck though - at least your wife will have the use of the room etc.

Is there anything locally that you've been promising yourself that you'd do and haven't had time to? Might be a chance to just go do it so that you feel that you've accomplished something?

4. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Pass on that. :p :)

That's spot on with what I plan to do. The only real frustration with two/thirds world countries and airports in particular is dealing with poor or practically no dissemination of information when something like this happens.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Adapting to Change of Plans is my middle name.

Well, it's actually Danger Adapting to Change of Plans.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I went to the airport once and discovered my flight to Frankfurt left earlier (I bought the tickets months ago and never bothered to check with the airline before I flew) and then wasn't allowed to fly to the States. Had to schlep all my luggage back to my apartment an hour away and fly again the next day.

Another time, SAS had major problems in Copenhagen and all flights going south to Germany, Switzerland, etc were cancelled. Spent 8 hours in the airport, had tickets to 3 cancelled flights, before I was finally put in a hotel overnight. Flew back a day late. Funny thing was, we found a lost student from a neighboring student exchange program.

Another time we went to Kiel and our regional train coudln't get back to Hamburg, where our night train would leave. Stuck in the middle of nowhere for 3 hours total. Finally Deutsche Bahn collected everyone into an ICE (express long distance train) and we sat there for 2 hours. Having totally missed our night train, we just stayed on the ICE train since it headed south. It skipped a bunch of stops and was giving out taxi vouchers at 3am. We also had no tickets but rather a magic piece of paper that let us rode back to our town. Since we had no idea where the train was going exactly, we didn't sleep. But somehow we made it back in time for class and exams. Fun fun.

Anyway, traveling sucks sometimes. I just go with the flow.

7. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Airport now to be closed for an "indefinite" period. Two weeks' meetings and some 4 connecting international flights in jeopardy all because an Iberia plane overshot the runway, and local airport administration have a shot at their revenge on Spain for racism and abuse toward Ecuadorians in the Continent. (My opinion of course, albeit correct.) :p When incompetence marries greed, their offspring are seldom attractive.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Are you calling me ugly? I know where your wife is.

9. theman macrumors 6502a

I don't make plans... seriously. I am like, the most flexible person on earth. I am so cool with anything that happens. It just happens, and I do what I have to do.