Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
So I last used the first version of iOS 11 beta 2 (I know it was updated for PB) - I'm curious if the AirPods volume problem was fixed as it really bugged me that they made the volume low so I had to roll back to iOS 10.

Are any of you guys on iOS 11 PB/DB2 have volume issues with your AirPods?

I really miss iOS 11 and want to go back to it lool

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am not having any AirPods volume issues under iOS 11 DP2. But since I didn't have any AirPods volume issues under iOS 11 DP1, that doesn't help you much.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I am not having any AirPods volume issues under iOS 11 DP2. But since I didn't have any AirPods volume issues under iOS 11 DP1, that doesn't help you much.

I had skipped iOS 11 beta 1, I upgraded to iOS 11 beta 2 from iOS 10 and my AirPods became really low volume. I know iOS 11 beta 2 was updated to a newer version but I haven't tried it as i downgraded back to iOS 10.

I was just wondering if the public beta AirPods users were having any issues?

Only good thing from iOS 11 beta is that my AirPods (Right one) now can skip tracks even tho im back on iOS 10 :)

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Only good thing from iOS 11 beta is that my AirPods (Right one) now can skip tracks even tho im back on iOS 10 :)
That bonus extends to playback from the Apple Watch running Watch OS 3.2.2. I don't carry my phone on most runs, but having tap to skip with my Watch is great. (I'm not ready to try the Watch beta, since it's not possible to downgrade.)

I'm sorry I can't help with your volume issue. I've heard a few folks complain about that problem, but I haven't experienced it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Works for me, just that the new multitasking interface on the iPad makes switching to AirPods even more cumbersome than before.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Works for me, just that the new multitasking interface on the iPad makes switching to AirPods even more cumbersome than before.

+1 This is my number one complaint about iOS 11.

I’m not really disagreeing with you guys; if you like it less than before then there’s nothing to disagree about. However

Before: -
- Swipe up for CC
- 50% chance you need to swipe right to get to music player if you don’t have HomeKit. 66.6% chance you need to swipe left or right if you do. Mental load associated with working out which way you need to go.
- Select AirPods as source

After: -
- Swipe up for CC
- 3D/Long press Music player
- Select source

The latter is spacially consistent too. Feels either better or a wash to me :oops:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m not really disagreeing with you guys; if you like it less than before then there’s nothing to disagree about. However

- Swipe up for CC
- 50% chance you need to swipe right to get to music player if you don’t have HomeKit. 66.6% chance you need to swipe left or right if you do. Mental load associated with working out which way you need to go.

- Swipe up for CC
- Select source

The latter is spacially consistent too. Feels either better or a wash to me :oops:

You have a point. Never considered it that way. Previously, I just left control centre at the media control page so I always got the Airpod controls whenever I swiped up. So it was just swipe up, tap on AirPods and connect. (2 steps).

Now, it's swipe up to enter multitasking mode (which also disrupts your video watching experience), long-press on the media control screen (which is now a small box surrounded by even smaller boxes), then tap on that tiny AirPlay icon and select AirPods. (4 steps).

Perhaps it's something I will eventually get used to, but it still feels like a step back. Maybe the option to connect to AirPods should be its own dedicated toggle in control centre?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
No issues here. Although I have always found that the volume from my AirPods lower than what I would like.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
I definitely noticed a significant decrease in volume in Beta 1 but found doing a soft reset fixed the issue (though it came back once or twice)

It’s better in Beta 2 but I still feel they’re slightly quieter at max volume.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

- Swipe up for CC
- Swipe down to leave CC

- Swipe up for CC
- Tap Airplay icon
- Select source
- Tap Outside player pop-up to return to main CC
- Swipe down to leave CC

It took 3-4 taps/swipes before. It takes 6 taps/swipes now.

You have a point. Never considered it that way. Previously, I just left control centre at the media control page so I always got the Airpod controls whenever I swiped up. So it was just swipe up, tap on AirPods and connect. (2 steps).

Now, it's swipe up to enter multitasking mode (which also disrupts your video watching experience), long-press on the media control screen (which is now a small box surrounded by even smaller boxes), then tap on that tiny AirPlay icon and select AirPods. (4 steps).

Perhaps it's something I will eventually get used to, but it still feels like a step back. Maybe the option to connect to AirPods should be its own dedicated toggle in control centre?
They definitely need their own dedicated toggle in CC. Changing audio output is the single most common operation I perform in CC.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I noticed the AirPods being a little soft with the last betas, but when I just tried it with beta 3, they got uncomfortably loud. I usually listen to loud music and I winced a little.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I noticed the AirPods being a little soft with the last betas, but when I just tried it with beta 3, they got uncomfortably loud. I usually listen to loud music and I winced a little.
not for me iOS 11 beta 3 isn't loud at all compared to iOS 10, I've even unpaired them and re connected but same

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
So i've gone up to beta 3, the volume on the airpods have definitely improved. Still not sure if they are as loud as iOS 10 but its definitely a step up from public beta/beta 2.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
So i've gone up to beta 3, the volume on the airpods have definitely improved. Still not sure if they are as loud as iOS 10 but its definitely a step up from public beta/beta 2.
Can’t say they are as loud as iOS 10 or even better than beta 2, but I hope they return to iOS 10 levels by the GM.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I've had some connectivity issues with my 7 connecting to my AirPods in the PB, but that only happened once.

As for the volume, I have not experienced issues on my end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.