How bad the 13",15",15" hi-res againts the retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rays09, Jun 18, 2012.

1. rays09, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

rays09 macrumors member

what do you think? is it worth getting the retina??

2. whdigital macrumors regular

I'm not trying to be rude, but I really think you should look around here before posting a new thread. There are dozens of threads going where this is being discussed...

3. simsaladimbamba

Depends on your usage and your comforts and your requirements.
    And yes, there have been plenty of threads about this very same issue.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Nothing will beat checking them out in person at a Best Buy or Apple store.

5. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

okay iam apologize for this.i look around here there always ended up with just a debate and not solved the issue. maybe u can give me more advice with this??

honestly from my deepest heart the best value for money it's the 13" if! the resolution it's not that bad and many said that can do a photo or video editing because it's GPU... what do you think>?

we don't have apple store here in indonesia , the retina one it's not already come out.. so ican't compare it, that's why i ask you all here. thanks for feedback bro

6. whdigital macrumors regular

Well, you're sure right about that unfortunately!

Tell us about what you want to do with it? I think you mentioned you might want to do photo and video editing and heard the 13" is good for that because of it's GPU? If I understand you correctly, then I would really recommend you go up to the 15" (if budget allows). Retina or standard screens both enjoy a dedicated GPU in the 15" and this will really help you in photo/video editing.

I looked at the Retina personally and I just don't like it - yet, as a lot of the software I run has not, or will not, update to take advantage of the display. The result is a scaled image that I think looks significantly worse. Not everyone does, but that was my experience with the software I use. Plus, while the Retina may reduce glare over the older Glossy screens a bit, it's nowhere near as good as the traditional Anti-Glare display. I use my laptops in varied lighting environments and the glossy screens drive me nuts!

I wound up going with the High Resolution, Anti-Glare display 15" as it fits my needs best. When the Retina gets perfected a bit and software updated for it, I'll look to add a 13" model with it (assuming they come out with one), as a cool way to gain more portability for everyday tasks, but at higher resolution.

7. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for feedback

yeah at first i was going hype with retina, but after i look around and read many issue ,it's a deal breaker. but why everyone here keep pushing on retina ? considering it's non upgradeable HW it will be a disposal thing after couple years. okay it's just my thought after i read many pages in this site.

okay back to my needs is doing a editing photo and video not a proffesional just as a hobby. like to have big storage for music and doing some music experimental in fruity loops (windows) mybe i wanna try the logic or garageband. this is will be my firs mac stuff. i just wanna try a new OS experience i bored with windows stuff..

so what if i just get the 1440 x 990 ? are these screen looks terrible ? considering cause i have a gamin desktop windows pc with dell 2412m e-ips panel maybe i can put the display port to it.
    but if you think the hi ress will make it's more far away nicer . i will go for it. what do you think?

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you want lots of storage space I would go with the 13" or 15" Macbook Pro.

Since you already have a nice external monitor, the built in display's resolution isn't so critical. Also since you have a desktop gaming PC, getting a laptop with a high performance graphics card isn't so important.

A Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable should work for hooking up to that monitor, something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-32AWG-Cable-Plated-Connectors/dp/B0034X6SCY/

I think either the base 13" MBP or base 15" MBP would be good machines. The 13" has a dual core processor and Intel graphics, the 15" has a quad core processor and NVidia graphics, and of course the bigger display. It also depends on how portable you want it to be.

9. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it sounds like the 13" MBP is the best fit for you. It's cheaper, has a large hard-drive (rather than smaller SSD) for all your music and other storage needs. And you can connect a large external display.

10. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

what do you think i should hook up? yeah thanks for advice. but what about the 13" can handle photo editing or video software? or the 15" model it's the base requirment for its?

okay if i go with the 15" where's the best deal the base one or the high end? which worth?

11. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

12. ayres macrumors regular

the resolution on the 13 mbp is by no means junk... it's capable. I think of it this way; the 13 mbp is like standard definition tv and the higher res 15 mbp is like hd tv. once you've had hd, it's hard and noticeable to revert back to the lower res, but it's not like you can't watch tv with standard definition tv.