How best to "QC" a new iPad while still at the store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hakr100, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Some things are obvious...external cosmetic defects, cracked screen, doesn't power up properly, screen colors way off, et cetera.

But, assuming one is at the Apple store and in the process of buying a new iPad, is there a list of what to check to make sure the unit you're buying is at least superficially problem free?

As an example, if it has a bad pixel, what's the best screen that might already be on the iPad so that you can really see it?

Is there a list of these kinds of hints?

Thanks!

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Well, you can always connect to Apple's WiFi in their store.

Head to here to look for dead pixels:

http://www.theipadguide.com/content/ipad-dead-pixel-test-how/7171269

And check for light bleeds. I tilted my iPad downwards about 30 degrees, and I noticed that the entire top portion of my iPad was bleeding light. Wish I took a picture of it, but I just exchanged my iPad immediately and got a problem-free one.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Best way to do this is open up the ipad and activate it at the store. Look at all those things, carefully. As far as dead pixel is concerned, I cannot see them as easy as others, so I go to very dark room and examine carefully.
    After that, go home and enjoy.

5. M Powered macrumors regular

Depends on how anal you are with light bleeding, almost all of these will have light bleeding. The extent will vary. I went through two copies and both had small amounts, not where near iPad2 status, but some.

Load up a dark image and try your best to see at the store. If you are super anal like me, only way to do it is take it home and find a dark room.

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's odd, I thought only 14 year olds posted these inane threads when there are dozens just like it.

8. EarlZ, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

EarlZ macrumors regular

With all the bright lights on the store, It might be hard to see most of the issues.

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Easiest QC you can do....

Hand the Apple clerk your credit card. If the purchase clears your limit on the card, you've made a great decision. Done.

10. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

It's damn hard to look for screen issues (uneven brightness, color uniformity, backlight bleeding) under those crazy flourescent lights. Trust me, I've tried many times.

11. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Before the Apple employee leaves you with your new device, put the box up to your ear and give it a good light *thump* with your fingers like you would a cantaloupe. If it sounds okay, give an approving nod and head on home.