How best to "QC" a new iPad while still at the store?

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Some things are obvious...external cosmetic defects, cracked screen, doesn't power up properly, screen colors way off, et cetera.

But, assuming one is at the Apple store and in the process of buying a new iPad, is there a list of what to check to make sure the unit you're buying is at least superficially problem free?

As an example, if it has a bad pixel, what's the best screen that might already be on the iPad so that you can really see it?

Is there a list of these kinds of hints?

Thanks!

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Best way to do this is open up the ipad and activate it at the store. Look at all those things, carefully. As far as dead pixel is concerned, I cannot see them as easy as others, so I go to very dark room and examine carefully.
After that, go home and enjoy.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Depends on how anal you are with light bleeding, almost all of these will have light bleeding. The extent will vary. I went through two copies and both had small amounts, not where near iPad2 status, but some.

Load up a dark image and try your best to see at the store. If you are super anal like me, only way to do it is take it home and find a dark room.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
With all the bright lights on the store, It might be hard to see most of the issues.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Easiest QC you can do....

Hand the Apple clerk your credit card. If the purchase clears your limit on the card, you've made a great decision. Done.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
It's damn hard to look for screen issues (uneven brightness, color uniformity, backlight bleeding) under those crazy flourescent lights. Trust me, I've tried many times.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Before the Apple employee leaves you with your new device, put the box up to your ear and give it a good light *thump* with your fingers like you would a cantaloupe. If it sounds okay, give an approving nod and head on home.