How big an improvement will the 8mp Iphone 5S be over the 8mp 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 16, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Do you think we will really see a big difference in day time photos? I know evening ones should look great but will this new camera have the wow factor?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

That's a good point. Low light photos will be much better, but I haven't seen any info on how much better day light photos will be.

3. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Thats what I want to know as well. I keep hearing so much about low light but everyday picture taking during the day, how is that improved? Its probably the same as the 5.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

In addition to much better performance in dim areas and time when the flash is used, there should be less noise and more detail in highlights and shadow.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

By my calculations, the 5S's camera will perform 37.2% better than the camera in the iPhone 5.

just kidding

The 5S has a larger sensor and a faster lens. Combined with a faster processor that will do cool new (for iOS) stuff, I'd say that the 5S camera will be a lot better. It should outperform the 5 in low light situations easily and probably get you cleaner shots in daytime as well (as faster lenses can don't require as high an ISO, plus you can go up a few stops with the same lighting).

Then add in all the cool new burst stuff ... the 5S camera will take better pics and be more fun as well. And you'll be less likely to miss a shot as well.

6. Kurso macrumors 6502

I'm really banking on the 5s camera. I won't be hard to please because I'm upgrading from a iPhone 4.

The combination of the f/2.2, new flash and larger CMOS pixel size should take some great quality pictures. And the Slo-mo video mode looks fun!

7. OMAC83 macrumors member

I ended up always having the flashed turned off on my ip5, never found the pics so great with it on

8. iAlphard macrumors regular

Less noise in lower light situation? If that's true i'm sold. :D

9. Radiating macrumors 65816

There should be no difference in daytime photos. The iPhone's camera is really bad in low light though so the new one will be around 6 times better in those situations, between the image stabilization and higher aperture. Not to mention the new flash

10. eoblaed, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

It'll be a huge upgrade. Watch the keynote for great examples how. In the meantime, here's a cut-n-paste from a post I made in another thread:

The aperture is larger, the optics are better. The hardware supporting the camera is greatly improved. Those 8 megapixels? On the 5S, those 8 megapixels are 15% larger than the same 8 megapixels on the 5 which, among other things, helps yield 33% better low-light improvement over the 5 .. and the 5 already had significantly better low-light performance than the 4S.

Upgrades the 5S camera has over the camera in the 5 that I can think of off the top of my head (let alone the 4S -- the camera has improved every year):
    • Larger aperture for the lens (this lets more light in: this is A Good Thing)
    • 15% larger sensor/pixel size (this gives higher quality color, less noise in the photo, overall a measurably better quality photo - outdoor or in)
    • 33% better low light performance
    • The dual LED system that measures the 'temperature' of the ambient light creates a flash 'color' that matches the ambient light creates greatly improved, more natural looking flash photos.
    • Because of the better hardware on the 5S, you can run the camera in 'burst mode' which will shoot 10 full sized photos per second as long as you hold the button down.
    • You can film HD video at 120 fps (4x normal) if you'd like, to get slow mo effects.
    • When you take a photo, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and uses the 'best' one. This all happens so fast as to appear to be instant.
    • When you take a photo in a low-light situation, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and will composite the 'finished' photo based on the best parts of each. This helps mitigate 'blurring' of subjects that is so common in low light photos. This all happens so fast as to be appear to be instant.

The improvements to the camera system on the 5S are significant.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Probably a little, especially if a subject is moving. But most photos I take aren't outdoors, especially with a phone camera. Most cameras made today take pretty decent outdoor full sun shots. Indoors is where people make the money.

12. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I'm very curious to see real-world, side-by-side comparisons of the 5 (and 5c, of course) and 5s cameras. I don't think it's going to be quite as big of a difference as it's made out to be. Going up to f2.2 on the 5s from the f2.4 of the iPhone 5 is not a big leap, I believe it's a quarter stop. The new sensor is also going to play into this and help pick up more light, but even at that, I just don't think it's going to be quite as giant a step as Apple is leading us to believe. We'll see, of course.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Huge.

Usually smartphone fans can only understand spec sheet stuff that isn't easy for non-engineers/photographers to explain so they dismiss the huge amount of improvements even if the difference is there, just because they can't understand it or others can't explain it to them.

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

The 5 camera technology is already 2 years old (since it is the same as the 4s). The improvement will be gigantic. Saying it won't be is like saying the jump from 4S A5 to 5S A7 is not huge.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Larger sensor with less crowded and larger pixels will equal better lower light images.

17. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will have sorted the purple glare out from the 5 that ive got on quite a few photo's!

18. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I have a 2 yr old and 95% of my pic taken with the ip5 looks like the burry one on the left, the 5s will be a big improvement for me.

[​IMG]

19. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

In all likeliness, it won't be a big enough jump for most people to take notice. My IP5 takes pretty good pictures, as did my 4s.

Still nice to have newer camera tech, but nothing to win awards for.

20. in4fun macrumors regular

No doubt the 5s delivers visibly improved pics...

....BUT

I just hate those fake comparison pictures. They take a super bad photo of the 5 and compare it with a well exposed 5s pic.

Next year the 5s pics will be blurry in comparison to the far superior iPhone 6 pics.

21. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

After we see some reviews of the iphone 5s we would be able to tell :) only from the presentation that apple made is impossible to tell :rolleyes: