How big is a chance Apple will bring new MB Pro with thinner unibody this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michal11, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Michal11 macrumors member

hey guys,

the questions is obvious. DO you think Apple will bring new macboook pro this year? Let say 15 inch with body of macbook air? Or is it going to be in 2012?

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Unlikely this year; next year with ivy as per rumors very likely

4. moxxey macrumors regular

Traditionally Apple does not release consumer updates after the start of October, simply as it would confuse the all-important Christmas buying season, which lasts from October to end of January (where people who have received money for Christmas pick up their machine in the early near year).

So there's no way you're going to see a big update to the Air, MBP and similar notebooks.

Perhaps next February, at the earliest.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Possibly a spec update with the processors due to whatever Intel is shipping. Next big change isn't likely until spring 2012 with Ivy Bridge.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Like everyone has stated, unlikely. Apple is still focusing on advancing iOS. When they make their way back to Mac, that's when they will likely make changes to the MacBook lineup. Even being 3 years old, the current unibody design doesn't look old so I'm not looking for Apple to change anytime soon.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

9. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Body of a Macbook Air? No way, I don't see Apple killing off the Macbook Air line or the Pro. I wouldn't think that it'd be too much thinner, because the Pro is already so thin that even if the Optical Drive is removed (highly likely) then the USB and other ports will have no place to go. I like the design of the Pro more than the air and I would be pretty pissed if the Macbook Pro got the elongated design of the Air. Anyways, 2012 redesign in Early Spring for sure.

10. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answers guys. And how about Macbook air 15 I have heard there are lot of rumours about that right?

11. Chulme macrumors newbie

I dont know. I haven't heard anything about a 15 air

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I say 0.000000001 % chance for a new thinner MBP this year.
    15" MBA is a lot more likely.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you like maths:

lim New_MBP(Time->End_Of_Year)=0

If not: I wouldn't be holding my breath, it's not going to happen.

14. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

15 Macbook air? The elongated Macbook Air design would reach a pretty thick point at the back of the laptop. They would probably be able to fit 2 USB jacks on top of each other! I see no way for Apple to keep the slickness of the Air with a 15" screen. Also the fact that the Macbook Air is an ultraportable defeats the purpose of making it bigger than the smallest Pro.

15. B.LI macrumors regular

Very unlikely this year, more likely in 2012 IMO :rolleyes:

16. Callumbear845 macrumors member

Great! My favorite post of the year. The basis of calculus!:D

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Quite many people don't need more speed than a LV Sandy Bridge but prefer the bigger screen of 15".
    And if you don't use it on a lap a 15" air would be as portable as any 13" MBA. In most briefcases they would take away equally much space. Between all the papers and stuff only the thickness matters not really the overall size.
    The Air is as thick as it needs to be at the end to fit a bit of cooling and the logic board and a bigger version wouldn't be any thicker. It is just plain stupid to assume they would take a normal 13" design and add stuff at the back. The thickest point would be as thick or even thinner as cooling gets easier and there is more space for the battery without compromising thickness.
    Really the only problem is flex a 15" design would require a bit extra reinforcements.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

We won't see anything this late in the year.

Next year we could see a 15" MBA. If so, I'm a buyer. I believe since Apples announcement that they're now in the post PC era, they will shift the focus from high performance laptops to average performance MBA types that are very thin, light, and be more aligned with iOS, iPhone & iPad lightweight type usage.

For more serious engineering & design work it'll be Mac Pro as long as they exist. Eventually I won't be surprised to see those obsolete and discontinued as the profit Apple seeks is in the mobile space.

Morphing into a mainstream retail company Apple is making too much money to bother with computers. That's another reason the company is no longer called Apple Computer.