How big is iPhone in your country? And, how good is the carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 12, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I hear the land of Samsung and LG doesn't even have iPhone yet. And, judging by the fact that iPhone is given away for free in Japan, I guess iPhone has so much catching up to do there.

I don't know how big iPhone is in China though. Do they get a better price than the rest of the world because it's made there?

What about Finland, the land of Nokia... is iPhone big in Finland?

Also, the ultimate question is which country currently has the best iPhone experience? Fastest network, widest coverage, all the basic goodies like MMS and tethering, most affordable phone plans, etc. I guess for speed and coverage, smaller countries might have the advantage.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Well I think it's obvious that AT&T isn't fairing very well on this ranking. Apple is even tired of them.

3. David-fr macrumors 6502

Telcel in Mexico sucks! We don't get unlimited data, signal is good
    But!!!!!!!!!! We've to pay 1100 usd for a 16gb prepaid iphone!! And if u get to a 24month contract and want To get out guess what! U can't and if do soyouve to pay the rest of the months of the cotract...they just love your money..that is why I think Mexicans are rich, they can afford that glad I move to CA!!!!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Carriers. Plural. There are four carrying the iPhone in Australia. They all have certain levels of suckiness but they're ok.

At least we can buy it outright unlocked here so we can use it however we want.

5. chappy87 macrumors regular

You mean it isn't 11cm x 5.5cm x 1cm everywhere?!!

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Big in US, ATT=gay, but not in the cool fun way

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I see what you did there.

8. puercaeli macrumors regular

iPhone 3G is also free in Australia on 49$ plan w/ 2yr contract(which is not too expensive). But iPhone is still popular down here so just because it's free it does not mean it's not wide spread..

Also China does not have iPhone atm... Korea is not the only decent country that does not have iPhone blessing atm. But seriously Korean Telcos need to rethink what they are doing not just becoz of iPhone but in terms of many things...not to mention crappy state of Apple Korea ...

9. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

In the UK: iPhone very popular, o2 are a pile of dog poo! Bad 3G coverage unless, you are in a big city.

10. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Australian iPhone customers have the best experience cause of the nationwide Next G network.

"The Next G Network is also the fastest cellular network in the world, delivering theoretical network speeds of up to 21Mbit/s, and is planning to increase the speed up to 42Mbit/s in 2009."

Telstra and Optus are the best carriers.

11. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile NL here in the Netherlands. Many people know about the iPhone, and sales apparently have been okay but it's not like everyone walks around with one.

Network coverage is not always great but independent tests have shown that the 2 Mbps iPhone plan does indeed have the highest (actual) bandwidth of of all plans/phones.

Prices are great. Starts at € 30/m for unlimited data (no tethering), 150 minutes and 150 outgoing SMS (incoming is free). Then it goes up to € 45 for 300/300 and then € 65 for 500/500. With every plan but the cheapest, the phone is free.

12. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

From what i have seen iPhone isnt very popular here in the UK.
    o2 coverage is terrible also

13. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

the only carrier in canada that has the iphone is rogers. absolutely horrible.

14. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I live in Barcelona so I see people with iPhones. I don't think it's very popular in smaller cities, though. Movistar here is pretty ok, it's just kind of expensive (in my opinion and comparing it to other carriers). I hate how reception is great unless you walk into a building, service lots of times is unavailable eventhough you're smack in the middle of the city where it's supposed to have great service.

But oh well, can't complain. I called yesterday and next month they're going to have my unlock code for me to unlock my iPhone 3G :)

15. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I'm on optus as well and its ok. Its a cheap plan $19 per month but i always seem to end up paying more. Also you can unlock your phone anytime for $0 legit which seems pretty good.

The bad thing is there is hardly any edge coverage so if you don't get 3G all you get is GPRS which is annoying.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iPhone is reasonably big here. I'd also say that we have the best contracts of any country I have seen selling the iPhone. How does 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited data for $50 a month sound, cost of phone (16gb 3GS) is about $130 US.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They have sold over a million iPhones in the UK, that would suggest it's fairly popular here. :rolleyes:

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

In Canada the iPhone is:

Height: 115.5 mm
    Width: 62.1 mm
    Depth: 12.3 mm
    Weight: 135 grams.

I think it's the same in every country.

Oh ... and Rogers is great!
    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would have been funnier if you had got there first. :p

20. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Movistar is unlocking your 3G?

21. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

So far, you have the best plan + price combination. That sounds great. You are in UK?

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It is 4.5 inches x 2.4 inches x 0.48 inch x 4.8 ounces in the US of A. We don't need no stinkin' metric system!!!!

23. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Yup, they are. Unfortunately they can only give you the code after 12 months. It's good though because now I'll be able to use my iPhone with a different sim whenever I travel.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Doesn't sound like anything available from O2? :confused:

Unless it's the £35 tariff over 24 months without the VAT?