how big is the demand of MBP 17inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by painholic, Aug 5, 2011.

1. painholic macrumors member

I am trying to sell my 2011 MBP 17in in craigslist but no one has emailed me yet!
    It's not an issue of price because I am selling the brand new 17inch for $2200..

2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

I definitely think it's the price.

Brand new from store is $2300 with $100 gift card for a student. Amazon technically has it now for ~$1850 shipped.

Also, if it is "brand new", why not return it?

3. salbiani macrumors member

What do you consider band new? Is it still in a sealed box?
    If not it is used to everyone else but you.
    Not metion you can pick up a refurb from the Apple store for $2119.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

5. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Not even any bites from scammers wanting you to ship your "item" out of the country for them asap?

Damn, that is bad. :/

6. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

youre asking too much just like everyone does on craigslist...a new one on amazon is 2278 without tax in some states

unless you're Jon Voight then carry on.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

craisglist is garbage

use kijiji

better results!

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I was using kijiji. They were OK.

Now I'm using kijiji kijiji and they're twice as good :)

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Also with selling things brand new on craigslist, some people are more willing to buy the same model in a store or online retailer even if yours is unopened. It's one of those feelings where yours may be stolen, not saying yours is though.

Like others have said, opened isn't brand new even if you opened the plastic and not used anything.

10. painholic thread starter macrumors member

It is sealed. I got it as a gift.
    Amazon price is $2275 so that's how I determined the price.
    I guess $2200 is still expensive..
    How about $2100?

11. salbiani macrumors member

Hard to say without knowing all the specs.

Not to mention, right now there is a 20% off coupon at Amazon that includes Mac computers.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You're going to have to cut the price. When they buy from a store they can use a credit card. That's a big advantage.

13. Minhthien macrumors 6502

No one wanna buy it because they can not do an exchange or return if they buy it from you! And your price is too high like other have stated.
    I think if you want to sell it............1800 is a good asking price then of-course you gonna get those lowballer:D:D asking for 1000! Maybe knock off an extra 100 bucks to sweeten the deal! Does it come with receipt?
    Soon Craigslist will be flooded with used Apple products because apple keep releasing new generation!

14. Sam2lucky13, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

put yourself in the shoes of the consumer...A. buy a laptop that is "new" according to an anonymous seller...could be stolen...couldve had a part replaced, dropped. or may just be a lemon...Who knows.

or B. From amazon and spend a little extra... where you have some piece of mind, there's a 30 day warranty built in and a reputation for excellent customer service and no hassle replacement...you dont have to call apple and see how much or if any of the full year warranty you still have. No buyers remorse or as is.

Id spend at the very least 250 more on 2,000 at amazon for the piece of mind over anything i ever considered on CL, and i buy a lot of things on CL.

think about it...joe shmo for 2200 or Amazon for 2278...you need to be around 2000 quite honestly to start and prepared for some negotiation from there if you want it to move. not to say there arent suckers out there.

15. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Price it at $2000 and emphasize that it is new-in-box and "sealed".

I'm assuming you're not going to charge sales tax, so you may get somebody willing to spend $2000 without tax for a new in box, sealed MBP 17".

Otherwise, I'd post it on eBay instead of using Craig's list.

OR even better, if it's a gift, as the gift-giver for a gift receipt for an exchange or credit.

16. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I've done a ton of ebay and Craiglist selling and you just can't get that close to what retail stores are charging, people prefer the safety of a retail store if they have to pay full price. Once you are stuck in the CL or ebay market you are going to have to accept a painful loss off retail. I sold a $1999 iMac, barely used that I paid $1929 for plus tax for $1499 and I still had to agree to pay the shipping too.

I think a 17" Macbook pro that is retailing for $2499 ($2299 really as everyone uses the school discount) is going to probably not move until you get down around $1900 and even then you'll have to get lucky. You'd get more action around $1,800 and I've seen a few on CL at that price and even some of those are a few days old (meaning of course they didn't move right away). Some here are saying $2,000 but I am betting that's still too high because people looking at such a big ticket item would still rather just pop the extra $250+tax for the retail store purchase. One more thing you can't give them is 100% assurance it really is new and a return policy.

17. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I am so confused!:confused:

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

He means he paid $1929 for a $1999 iMac, but he was forced to sell it at $1499 along with fronting the shipping costs.