How big of a deal is a ProMotion/120Hz display for an iPhone 8,8+,X successor to you (next year)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 27, 2017.

?

How big of a deal is a ProMotion display for an iPhone to you?

1. I want it above all else.

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. I could care less, give me something else.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Starfyre, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

So I was at the Apple store yesterday getting a hands on with the iPhone 8. I really want to try the augmented reality, and whenever I launched an app the Apple store staff said, it crashed! I restarted the phone, and the same thing happened. Launch an AR demo app, and it crashed on the iPhone 8.

I asked the Apple staffer what was wrong, and he said "there were a lot of apps installed on the phone, so it may be causing the crashes" and instead pointed me to the iPads. He said the iPads should work fine, they are bigger with ProMotion displays, which have 120Hz refresh rate making things like Apple Pencil feel really fluid and screen interactions are said to be liquid smooth??? (I didn't pay attention to the screen interactions, just played with the dragon AR app where a cute dragon stands on a table)... sounds like a great way for him to sell me an iPad by telling me how the AR just doesn't work on the iPhone 8's and run better on the iPad.

Reviews seem to be all over the ProMotion display that gives the iPad that 120Hz refresh... what do you think about the possibility of a ProMotion for the next iPhone after the 8,8+,X next year? Is 120Hz really that big of a deal for iPhone even though the iPhone does not support the Apple Pencil and has a much smaller form factor than an iPad? What is the big deal about ProMotion?

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It’s not a big deal at all and doesn’t factor into my buying decision.

3. Azzurro macrumors regular

4. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

5. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Is there a difference between getting 120Hz for a display as large as an iPad vs a iPhone? Does it make any difference at all for movies? or youtube? I'm reading reviews of the "new" iPad, and a lot of critics seems to be all over it.

6. radioking macrumors regular

The people who say they don’t care obviously don’t own an iPad Pro. For an iPhone to run as smooth as the iPad Pro, you have to turn on “reduce motion.” The animations look like absolute crap on my 7+. I will not buy a new iPhone until ProMotion is included.

7. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Pointless on a non tablet device. MacBooks or iMacs will prolly get it before iPhones

8. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Why is that pointless on a non-tablet device? Is motion more perceivable on a bigger display than small iPhone displays? Or is it because no one will "write" on it with an Apple Pencil that requires that quick of a refresh?

9. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The new iPad Pros scroll very smoothly with ProMotion. It’s noticeable and quite nice. I’d like it on my iPhone. But I’m not going to fret about not having it this year. And when they do introduce it next year or whenever, the majority of people won’t think it’s that important.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They will think it's that not important until they actually experience it. I would say the strongest feature for the iPad Pro or most talked about feature that they added this last year, was the 120 HZ refesh rate. Everybody's eyes perceive things differently, but it certainly notable between two iPads side-by-side.

11. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Easy now. It's a decent question.

12. predation macrumors 65816

Promotion should be implemented into the phones. It gives it that little extra sense of refinement. Which = moar dolla billz yo.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

14. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

I honestly don’t notice all that much diffeeent between the 8+ and the promotion on the 10.5 pro. It’s only real benefit is less latency with the pencil and a tad smoother scrolling (everyone can see it different). For the phone it will be like true tone- a nice touch, but not worth upgrading solely over.

15. Nozuka macrumors 68020

will be well received by me, but not a reason to upgrade.

16. ACST Suspended

It's very nice on the iPad pro, so would be a killer feature.

17. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Does anyone have a mathematical way to find out if the ProMotion will be a big deal for the next iPhone?

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

19. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

ProMotion is a substantially bigger deal than TrueTone in terms of improving the experience. That said, it's kind of a luxury instead of a must have.

20. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Baby steps. We will be lucky if Apple allows us to have this next year, most likely 2019.

21. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The way your putting it makes it sound like 120Hz is more beneficial for bigger screens on the iPad because of the fact the screen is bigger. So screens that are big, like iPad, and definitely TVs, benefit from having 120Hz or greater if bigger displays.

For phones, because iPhones are small, 120Hz is not noticeable enough if any to be worth including in a phone. Is that right? If the above is correct, I wonder if there is some ratio between screen size and refresh rate to know what is optimal depending on display size.